Has anyone here read the Quran

Kira

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi

I have read it , some of it only . An english translation by Yusuf Ali I guess . Its quite a small book . 

It has 114 chapters in it. The first one is called "Al Fatihah" (The opening) . 

Fatiha in arabic means "opening" or "victory" (fateh).

I even remember it in arabic to an extent as the first chapter is small lol . Like our mool mantar.

Bismillah Ar-rahman Ar-raheem 

(In the name of allah, The merciful, the compassionate)

Alhamdulillah RABBI al aalameen 

(Praise be to the lord (rabb) of the worlds ) . Interestingly Punjabi word "rabb" is here ! 

Ar rahman Ar raheem 

(Oh merciful, Oh compassionate)

Maaliki Yaumi id-deen

(The master of the day of judgement)

Iyyaaka na'abudu waa iyaaka nasta'een 

(You alone we worship and you alone we seek for help)

Ihdin assira'at al mustaqeem Siraatal ladheena an ‘amta’ alaihim
Ghairil maghduubi’ alaihim waladaaleen

Aameen

(Guide us on the straight path,
the path of those who have received your grace;
not the path of those who have brought down wrath, nor of those who wander astray.
Amen.)

Its beautiful , not at all violent ! 

At some places later, its quire scary . Esp chapter 5 which is where I guess laws related to robbery, adultery , etc etc is

It clearly states "As for the thief, cut off the hand and feet from opposite side" BUT also stresses on forgiveness if the thief repents .

In chapter 2 , al-baqaara (The cow) its about dietary laws . Don't eat this, eat this only . Laws are similar to that of jews !

Its said "meccan verses" (earlier verses) were peaceful, the "madinan verses" (later verses, muhammad claimed to have received by angel gabriel in madina when he grew in community , were more intolerant and scathing) 

Guest Jacfsing2
1 hour ago, Kira said:

As the title goes has anyone actually read the Quran here? I've seen quite alot of people debating about various quotes from it but all of them seem to be from rather biased websites, its interesting how so many people just throw these quotes out but im genuinely curious if anyone has read any portion of it or even any of the Hadiths.

Bits and pieces, (from one of the pro-Islamic websites, not one of those which picks the worst parts), and from the english translation, (I don't know Arabic), it seemed boring to say the least. If I'm going to be reading a story book, I'd rather read Harry Potter or something as silly like that. Never read the Hadiths directly; however, from what I've heard it's just a Maryada.

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi
24 minutes ago, chatanga said:

Yes. I read it, and couldn't understand why peopple would become muslims because of it.

I thought we as sikhs , our history is evident of fact that Islam always thrived on forcible conversion.

People might not have converted voluntarily but at the tip of sword or by softer coercions like "money", "protection", being tax-free etc 

And ofcourse the whole mutilation (sunnat) aspect of religion makes me cringe ! 

Glad I am a sikh 

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi
1 minute ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Bits and pieces, (from one of the pro-Islamic websites, not one of those which picks the worst parts), and from the english translation, (I don't know Arabic), it seemed boring to say the least. If I'm going to be reading a story book, I'd rather read Harry Potter or something as silly like that. Never read the Hadiths directly; however, from what I've heard it's just a Maryada.

I don't think its always boring ! Its quite inspiring at a few places , but then again its very limited . 

34 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I think that is a valid point. 

I read Gurbani in English translations for decades before I finally made the effort to grasp Gurmukhi and interact with Gurbani in the native lingua. The two experiences are so different, it's like experiencing two different texts/experiences.  

Perhaps that has something to do with the style and level of competence of the translator? I've read the English versions of the major Sikh banis, and I've got to say they are underwhelming to say the least. There's none of the poetry and the flow of the original Gurmukhi, which is understandable, but as a layman who appreciates the English language I'm pretty certain someone with a flair for the English language could create a superb English translation of SGGS Ji. Even in terms of grammar, the English translations are the typical broken Indian-English taught in Indian schools. It's actually quite a shame that for someone who might only be capable of reading English would come away disappointed in the English translation.

33 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

You should ask the Saudis.

One of the first things uttered from any Muslims breath is that the QUran has remained unchanged since it was inscribed. That snippet of knowledge was shocking to say the least.

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi
3 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Perhaps that has something to do with the style and level of competence of the translator? I've read the English versions of the major Sikh banis, and I've got to say they are underwhelming to say the least. There's none of the poetry and the flow of the original Gurmukhi, which is understandable, but as a layman who appreciates the English language I'm pretty certain someone with a flair for the English language could create a superb English translation of SGGS Ji. Even in terms of grammar, the English translations are the typical broken Indian-English taught in Indian schools. It's actually quite a shame that for someone who might only be capable of reading English would come away disappointed in the English translation.

First limitation is "HE" . God is not a he . But we translate it that way. Some might think God in sikhi is a male.

Secondly , how do you translate "gurprasad" and some terms which are unique to sikhi ! 

Also "sochei soch na hovei" , soche means "washing" , as washrooms in india are also referred as "sochalay" .

Guru Sahib said "Soche soch na hovei je soche lakh vaar" (Washing , at tirth is not going to wash inside even if you washed 10000 times) but we translated soche to "think" and so the substandard translation was "By thinking about him a hundred times, he can't be reduced to thought) .

Btw, this "soche" being "cleaning" was pointed out by white sikhs.

Surprising how they understand it more than we do !