5akaalsingh

Sikhism is no more the fifth-largest religion

47 posts in this topic

Couple of months ago, Wikipedia page for Sikhism was edited. Instead of showing Sikhism as the fifth-largest global religion now it shows it as the ninth-largest religion. The fifth place has been taken by some "Folk religion". Sixth is Taoism, Seventh is some "Shinto" and Eighth "Falun Gong". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups#Medium-sized_religions)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judaism has 17 million followers compared to our 28 mill, and look how they're running tings internationally! Oy vey, maybe they are the chosen people. 😀

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MisterrSingh said:

Judaism has 17 million followers compared to our 28 mill, and look how they're running tings internationally! Oy vey, maybe they are the chosen people. 😀

Yeah, that's good! The bad part is that Chinese "religions" founded in 1990s have more followers!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Taoism was a philosophy of life not a religion per se ...any clues ? and besides I thought during Communism years all religious practices were stopped ..so how come so high figures for China ?

Edited by jkvlondon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 5akaalsingh said:

Yeah, that's good! The bad part is that Chinese "religions" founded in 1990s have more followers!

I wouldn't go as far to suggest those religions aren't genuine, or they lack some sort of legitimacy. The main reason for their high number of followers is possibly due to their generally higher population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

I wouldn't go as far to suggest those religions aren't genuine, or they lack some sort of legitimacy. The main reason for their high number of followers is possibly due to their generally higher population.

indeed. those chinese have the biggest population in the world

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a major problem with religions listed as 5-8, and that is it's a bunch of religions joined together, also you can combine those religious practices with any religion, not just that one, a good example is Shintoism, Folk religion, and Taoism which all allow their followers to mix and match with other religions, (the main one being Buddhism), also if we included the I don't know how many Vanjaria Sikhs our numbers would still be 5th place. If we were playing the same demographic numbers these religions were playing, then we could include that Hindu or that Christian that went to the Gurdwara once. Even if we were to do that our numbers at best would be 4th place, but we would most likely stay in 5th place. 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

Judaism has 17 million followers compared to our 28 mill, and look how they're running tings internationally! Oy vey, maybe they are the chosen people. 😀

Judaism has one thing that gives them power, and that is that Christians are their ghulams,(Jerusalem is under their control), if you had 2 billion slaves and even if you were one person, you could rule a huge population. Heck their Pakhandi Baba named Jesus Ghadar Christ was a Jew who believed in Jewish ideology. The Varican City also has a lot of power for the same reason. Saudi Arabia also has lots of power for the same reason of owning a religious capital for outsiders. Heck, if we had the same benefits they have with an international religious capital which many people of other countries respect, Punjabis would be seen like Devtas and we would be seen as the supreme people; however, no such scenario exists. Let me just say if we had a city in Punjab with importance for outsiders, (like non-Punjabi/Subcontinental), such as Mecca, Vatican, Ganges, or Jeuralesum, then all of our demands would be met by tomorrow no questions asked, (heck we could ask for people to some otherwise irrational stuff and they'd still do it). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 5akaalsingh said:

Instead of showing Sikhism as the fifth-largest global religion now it shows it as the ninth-largest religion.

Thanks for highlighting this. 

You people know what to do ... Log out of Sikhsangat.com, close the laptop, and get to making some babies!!

Just do it.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Thanks for highlighting this. 

You people know what to do ... Log out of Sikhsangat.com, close the laptop, and get to making some babies!!

Just do it.

62350083.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ORR.... get BOS to roll out parchaarik course to online form with residential for certain aspects like santhiya (or co-op with taksal classes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

You know why you struggle with focusing on spirituality, curbing Kaam, etc? Because of nonsense like that in bold. You heap such incredible bhaar on yourself without having the kamaai to shoulder such words and opinions. You don't have to agree or like other faiths and their figureheads - i certainly don't when it comes to a few of them - but where do you get the cojones to speak of such figures in that way? 

+1 Every Mahapurukh has said the same thing, the greatest is Guru Sahib! Remember all these Pakhandis went to Harnaam Singh and touched his feet, not the other way around. This right here shows how even they ackwolegded that Sikhi is the only true religion. The greatness of being Sikh is what keeps me going, if I was a follower of any of these Pakhandis I don't know where I'd be going. Even Randhir Singh said in his book when he saw all those Jamdoots how they fear the power of Guru Sahib and anyone who was Sikh. Bhai Gurdas also said such "nonsense", as you claim that Sikhs were the best of the best, higher than Devtas and Devti. I'm a lowly Sikh, (probably one of the worst there is), and there's no way that I'm going to accept being lower spiritually to some deluded person like Muhammad or Jesus or even Moses, just on a non-Sikh level, the Dharmic faiths have their problems; however, their leaders actually tried to teach simran, (fake simran, but still a start), while in Christianity and Islam Simran is a ban.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

You aren't them. You never will be the way you're going. The greatest Sikh parcharaks, kathavachaks, and scholars I've heard in my life have never flapped their gums about these figures in the manner that you do.  They highlight their deficiencies according to Gurmat. You insult them as if they cut you up in traffic.

I'll say it again: you aren't them. There's nothing Sikh about what you're doing. It's demented childishness. 

+1, I respect a lot of what you say, and you seem like you know much more than I do, though I already admitted that:

47 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

I'm a lowly Sikh, (probably one of the worst there is), 

But if Bhai Gurdas said it I'll just repeat what he said, since we are allowed to read those Vaars, (and 100% of it is fact). But being a Sikh does keep me going in life. It gives me the willpower that I wouldn't otherwise have to fight my internal battles. Sometimes being reminded that I am Sikh prevents me from collapsing like I used to when I thought in humanistic thoughts. 

21 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

 They highlight their deficiencies according to Gurmat. You insult them as if they cut you up in traffic.

No it's much worse! Whenever I had read that Bible, I received no spiritual benefit and just felt like I read a book about some Israelites constantly getting either bullied by the foreign kings, or how the Isrealites would believe in a rude God, who just tortured innocents. Let me say, if you read the entire Bible in it's entirety and follow every word of it, you'd be a crazy person. If you read Gurbani and you followed that in it's entirety, you'd come to the realization on so many things. I read some Gurbani, and I realize it makes me actually grow as a person. 

Their guy says this:

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ" Bible

Our Guru says this: 

"ਜਾਣਹੁ ਜੋਤਿ ਨ ਪੂਛਹੁ ਜਾਤੀ ਆਗੈ ਜਾਤਿ ਨ ਹੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Jaanahu Joth N Pooshhahu Jaathee Aagai Jaath N Hae ||1|| Rehaao ||

जाणहु जोति न पूछहु जाती आगै जाति न हे ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥

Recognize the Lord's Light within all, and do not consider social class or status; there are no classes or castes in the world hereafter. ||1||Pause||" (Ang 349 Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji)

This is not a comparision, if your words say one thing which isn't pure it's not perfect, it's imperfect. And imperfection is less than what our perfect Guru could even do. In Gurmat circumcision is not right; however, Jesus circumcised himself, it's also a big Paap to show magic and he used magic to gain followers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

+1, I respect a lot of what you say, and you seem like you know much more than I do, though I already admitted that:

But if Bhai Gurdas said it I'll just repeat what he said, since we are allowed to read those Vaars, (and 100% of it is fact). But being a Sikh does keep me going in life. It gives me the willpower that I wouldn't otherwise have to fight my internal battles. Sometimes being reminded that I am Sikh prevents me from collapsing like I used to when I thought in humanistic thoughts. 

No it's much worse! Whenever I had read that Bible, I received no spiritual benefit and just felt like I read a book about some Israelites constantly getting either bullied by the foreign kings, or how the Isrealites would believe in a rude God, who just tortured innocents. Let me say, if you read the entire Bible in it's entirety and follow every word of it, you'd be a crazy person. If you read Gurbani and you followed that in it's entirety, you'd come to the realization on so many things. I read some Gurbani, and I realize it makes me actually grow as a person. 

Their guy says this:

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ" Bible

Our Guru says this: 

"ਜਾਣਹੁ ਜੋਤਿ ਨ ਪੂਛਹੁ ਜਾਤੀ ਆਗੈ ਜਾਤਿ ਨ ਹੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Jaanahu Joth N Pooshhahu Jaathee Aagai Jaath N Hae ||1|| Rehaao ||

जाणहु जोति न पूछहु जाती आगै जाति न हे ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥

Recognize the Lord's Light within all, and do not consider social class or status; there are no classes or castes in the world hereafter. ||1||Pause||" (Ang 349 Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji)

This is not a comparision, if your words say one thing which isn't pure it's not perfect, it's imperfect. And imperfection is less than what our perfect Guru could even do. In Gurmat circumcision is not right; however, Jesus circumcised himself, it's also a big Paap to show magic and he used magic to gain followers.

I think you need to read the new testament, Jesus already said that Christians weren't meant to be following that testament, most of it describes the stuff we see in charitropakhyan. In fact, its just another way to describing the horrors of Kalyug from a different perspective. Bhai Gurdas Ji never called Jesus or anything a traitor, they're about as treacherous as we are, they ended up victims of Maya after she enslaved them, but know this they are above us all in terms of Spirituality in this current state of ours (Rama, Jesus etc), if we follow the lines of Gurbani we can surpass them, but till you do be careful about what you say, they may not hold a candle to Sant Harnam Singh Ji but they are spiritually wise as well.  Yes they were imperfect, but calling them those kind of derogatory words will just work against us. 

Edited by Kira
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 5akaalsingh said:

Couple of months ago, Wikipedia page for Sikhism was edited. Instead of showing Sikhism as the fifth-largest global religion now it shows it as the ninth-largest religion. The fifth place has been taken by some "Folk religion". Sixth is Taoism, Seventh is some "Shinto" and Eighth "Falun Gong". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups#Medium-sized_religions)

I've always felt Sikhism is about quality over quantity.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kira said:

 

I sure you must realize I meant sex within the confines of matrimony (Grahist), of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kcmidlands said:

I've always felt Sikhism is about quality over quantity.

I would say it's both, or a balance between both. For example, the only reason you're able to buy a kirpan is that we have sufficient numbers of people such that we are able to support a kirpan-production industry.

The current trend towards people having 2-bedroom houses, with one for the man and wife, and the other for their one son is demographically dangerous, and basically suicide.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people are born in Sikh families but don't consider themselves Sikhs, the numbers keep dwindling...  Some call themselves atheists nowadays!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BhForce said:

I sure you must realize I meant sex within the confines of matrimony (Grahist), of course.

course I did lol, it was a joke. haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BhForce said:

The current trend towards people having 2-bedroom houses, with one for the man and wife, and the other for their one son is demographically dangerous, and basically suicide.

Honestly don't understand what this means. 

1 hour ago, CHaamCHrick said:

Some people are born in Sikh families but don't consider themselves Sikhs, the numbers keep dwindling...  Some call themselves atheists nowadays!

If you have 10 kids at max one of them will be Atheist, it's only a 10% chance of actual apostasy, and that's if you never mention Sikhi.

5 hours ago, Kira said:

I think you need to read the new testament, Jesus already said that Christians weren't meant to be following that testament, most of it describes the stuff we see in charitropakhyan. In fact, its just another way to describing the horrors of Kalyug from a different perspective. Bhai Gurdas Ji never called Jesus or anything a traitor, they're about as treacherous as we are, they ended up victims of Maya after she enslaved them, but know this they are above us all in terms of Spirituality in this current state of ours (Rama, Jesus etc), if we follow the lines of Gurbani we can surpass them, but till you do be careful about what you say, they may not hold a candle to Sant Harnam Singh Ji but they are spiritually wise as well.  Yes they were imperfect, but calling them those kind of derogatory words will just work against us. 

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Heck their Pakhandi Baba named Jesus Ghadar Christ was a

I'm sorry but I will have to second what @MisterrSingh said. 

7 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Every Mahapurukh has said the same thing, the greatest is Guru Sahib!

Yes Guru Sahib is the greatest. And yes, the other religious figures had deficiencies. @MisterrSingh and @Kira both accepted that, so you don't have to say that. What they are saying, however, is to request you not to call other religious names. That's it.

The fact that the Holy Bible is not at the level of Guru Granth Sahib ji has nothing to do with what they (MisterrSingh and Kira) are saying. There is no straight line that leads from Guru Sahib being the greatest to calling others names.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:
2 hours ago, BhForce said:

The current trend towards people having 2-bedroom houses, with one for the man and wife, and the other for their one son is demographically dangerous, and basically suicide.

Honestly don't understand what this means. 

I'm simply saying that a great number of Sikhs are choosing to have only one child, a problem that has been highlighted by a number of other posters, including @genie, I believe. The point about the 2-br house is just that people want to spend less money, so they have less children, and then they fritter it away on fancy vacations and whatnot.

This is demographic disaster because a population needs to have a total fertility rate of slightly greater than 2 just to stay at the same level of population.

Having 1 child means decline of population, and, eventually, elimination (group suicide).

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BhForce said:

I'm simply saying that a great number of Sikhs are choosing to have only one child, a problem that has been highlighted by a number of other posters, including @genie, I believe. The point about the 2-br house is just that people want to spend less money, so they have less children, and then they fritter it away on fancy vacations and whatnot.

This is demographic disaster because a population needs to have a total fertility rate of slightly greater than 2 just to stay at the same level of population.

Having 1 child means decline of population, and, eventually, elimination (group suicide).

I think fertility rate is important; however, with the way the majority of our people are going, I think we should focus in reviving our Sikhi among them first. Our people are mentally and spiritually weak from what people were about 50 years ago. Until we restore Sikh principles and limit missionary jatha influence, our reproduction will only make the Anti-Sikh amongst us larger. First we restore our spirits and then can we increase as a population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Even Randhir Singh said in his book when he saw all those Jamdoots how they fear the power of Guru Sahib and anyone who was Sikh.

It's quite surprising how you would refer to a 20th century Sikh personality that most Sikhs know as "Bhai Randhir Singh" as "Randhir SIngh". If we can't even refer with respect to our own Sikh saints with respect, who will, Muslims?

Near to the end of Gurbani, there's a line that says referring to and addressing saintly Sikhs with respect (by saying "Ji") will earn you freedom from the Messengers of Death:

ਤੁਧੁ ਸਾਲਾਹਨਿ ਤਿਨ ਧਨੁ ਪਲੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਾ ਧਨੁ ਸੋਈ ॥

Those who praise You gather the wealth in their laps; this is Nanak's wealth.

ਪ੍ਰਭਾਤੀ (ਮ: ੧) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੩੨੮ ਪੰ. ੭ 

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਜੀਉ ਕਹੈ ਓਨਾ ਕਉ ਜਮ ਕੀ ਤਲਬ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥੪॥੩॥

Whoever shows respect to them is not summoned by the Messenger of Death. ||4||3||

So let us all refer to Mani Singh, Budha, Gurbachan Singh, Sunder Singh, Randhir Singh, Attar Singh, Gurdas, Kabeer, Puran Singh* and so on as Bhai Mani Singh ji Shaheed, Baba Buddha ji, Sant Giani Gurbachan Singh ji, Sant Giani Sunder Singh ji, Bhai Randhir Singh ji, Baba Attar Singh ji, Bhai Gurdas ji, Bhagat Kabir ji, Bhagat Puran Singh ji and so on.

*This is not an ordered list!

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Rumour has it Musharraf owns the Ilford towers too : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pakistan-pm-made-millions-in-uk-1179392.html  
    • Actually you will find that areas like East ham, ilford, seven kings - were Sikh majority areas till the mid  90's . Then when the Pakistanis saw an opening to buy some of (Sikh or white owned) businesses they just spread like wildfire. The same was for southall - till around 1991. Issue there is most of the leases of the shops are in Sikh hands, in east London its practically all Pakistani / Bangladeshi. Some of my rlatives in forest gate were offered straight cash prices for their houses - this is around 1992/3. Fault lies with some of our people - they just saw the financial incentive - now they regret it. Ask your self does a Musallman sell to a non muslim, especially a Sikh ?
    • Pre-emptive war is never a good idea, maybe these aliens could assist us in some way. But if they were going to be the first to discover aliens, many people throughout time have already claimed such things. Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji went to other planets.
    • You are in 7th grade, and expecting what from a crush? You just reached puberty most likely, so almost everything your feeling is probably just hormonal. At your age you'll probably have 100s of crushes by the time your done with your education, you just had your first crush later than most people. In the very best case scenario, she might think you're attractive as well, but if you are going to be having relationships, it won't really help any of you, since this age is hormonal changes.  If in the future she does become your future wife, that will happen then with Guru Sahib making it happen, but for now, focus on something that makes you happy, (and if you can't control your feelings, try not being to close to her). Do your Bhagti and Amrit Velas, some Seva and grow with Guru Sahib. 😇