• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
simran345

Carrots - Different Colours

43 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

you forgot the breadcrumbs as well to add crunch to contrast...

You're going to have come out with your own cookbook. You know you have to ūüėČ

2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I don't do the breadcrumb thing myself. 

needs less cheese then and yet is still as satisfying, maybe moreso judging by the 'hungry wolves' response from the lads , just use staleish bread slices and food process/chop/shred into the grated cheese , mix and spread

3 people like this

9 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

needs less cheese then and yet is still as satisfying, maybe moreso judging by the 'hungry wolves' response from the lads , just use staleish bread slices and food process/chop/shred into the grated cheese , mix and spread

Is normal bread ok to use ? 

1 person likes this

Just now, simran345 said:

Is normal bread ok to use ? 

yep I've used brown , white, even stale muffins it all works 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

yep I've used brown , white, even stale muffins it all works 

Talking about stale bread, I was looking at bread and butter pudding recipes recently, and the amount of butter they use is way too much for what I'd expect .

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, simran345 said:

Talking about stale bread, I was looking at bread and butter pudding recipes recently, and the amount of butter they use is way too much for what I'd expect .

look up bread pudding it is made with raisins and spices like cinammon and all spice , we used to make it all the time to use up the bread we couldn't sell at Mum and Dad's shop

like this :

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13355/bread-pudding

no eggs you could add some cornflour if you want ...we didn't bother

Edited by jkvlondon
2 people like this

7 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

look up bread pudding it is made with raisins and spices like cinammon and all spice , we used to make it all the time to use up the bread we couldn't sell at Mum and Dad's shop

like this :

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13355/bread-pudding

no eggs you could add some cornflour if you want ...we didn't bother

Thank you penji for these recipes. Bread pudding was the alternative I also saw, the butter ones had so many ingredients in them, that I wouldn't have added myself. 

7 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

you could try doing this if you want bread and butter pud

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-make-bread-butter-pudding-third-fat

I was looking for an eggless one, but what do you add to replace the eggs? 

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Thank you penji for these recipes. Bread pudding was the alternative I also saw, the butter ones had so many ingredients in them, that I wouldn't have added myself. 

I was looking for an eggless one, but what do you add to replace the eggs? 

what you are using the eggs for is making custard so just mix some custard powder with the milk

2 people like this

If you want to make the cheese sauce a bit special and different fry some simla peppers and onions gently (until the former are soft and the later caramelised) and throw these into the cheese sauce - it really amps up the flavour! 

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

what you are using the eggs for is making custard so just mix some custard powder with the milk

Thanks penji. I was thinking of using the ready made custard in the tins, but maybe too thick? The custard powder is a good idea. 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

If you want to make the cheese sauce a bit special and different fry some simla peppers and onions gently (until the former are soft and the later caramelised) and throw these into the cheese sauce - it really amps up the flavour! 

Good idea, how about some sweet corn too?  Suppose you could add a variety of veggies. 

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Good idea, how about some sweet corn too?  Suppose you could add a variety of veggies. 

I try and keep it low carb. So sweetcorn (though I love it) is something I use sparingly. 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I try and keep it low carb. So sweetcorn (though I love it) is something I use sparingly. 

I do dijon wholegrain mustard and garlic in the cheese sauce , broccoli alongside the  cauliflower to chane the taste profile , base of sauteed sliced leeks (oniony but not overly)

30 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

I do dijon wholegrain mustard and garlic in the cheese sauce , broccoli alongside the  cauliflower to chane the taste profile , base of sauteed sliced leeks (oniony but not overly)

That sounds good. 

I know mixing them up can change the taste profile, but sometimes it's just a convenient way of getting a wider range of nutrients. 

Man, all this talk has got me craving gobi pakoray. 

7 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

That sounds good. 

I know mixing them up can change the taste profile, but sometimes it's just a convenient way of getting a wider range of nutrients. 

Man, all this talk has got me craving gobi pakoray. 

I used to do it because of the taste but I found out the mustard helps us absorb more of the cruciferous veggie goodness and the garlic balances the BAI effect of the cheese and milk , loads of fresh black pepper too 

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

I used to do it because of the taste but I found out the mustard helps us absorb more of the cruciferous veggie goodness and the garlic balances the BAI effect of the cheese and milk , loads of fresh black pepper too 

Yeah, I noticed blackpepper helps with bai. 

1 person likes this

My grandma used to make sondh for bai, but I couldn't handle it, so had extra adrak in daal or adrak wali chaa.