Guest Jacfsing2   
Guest Jacfsing2
21 hours ago, Kira said:

iv only ever had the orange ones..great, now I know how to make rainbow Aloo Gajaar di Sabzi.

That sounds gross. I wouldn't want to eat any rainbow Aloos, or rainbow Gajaars sabji. Keep them seperate if you want mixed colors. 

simran345    2,471
50 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

Isher Kaur is bugging me to buy rainbow carrot seed  the colour ranges from white, yellow, orange, red, purple , kind of strange seeing this topic ... the darker the colour the more beta carotene, so India's carrots are orange in overdrive , the purple ones have anthocyanins like red cabbage and grapes.

take a look 

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable+Seeds/Popular+Vegetable+Seeds/Carrot+Seeds/Carrot+Seeds+-+Rainbow+Mix_157254.htm

That's so weird too, when the red carrots came to mind, the first person I thought of was you penji, that I'd ask you about them and the nutritional qualities lol. 

37 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

That sounds gross. I wouldn't want to eat any rainbow Aloos, or rainbow Gajaars sabji. Keep them seperate if you want mixed colors. 

Hahahahaha, kuch nai hunda, chill out with the mixed veg sabji, that's different colours too, but very good for u. 

Guest Jacfsing2   
Guest Jacfsing2
11 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Hahahahaha, kuch nai hunda, chill out with the mixed veg sabji, that's different colours too, but very good for u. 

Honestly whenever I eat mixed vegtable Sabji, it almost always tastes too spicy. But I was mostly referring to rainbow potatoes and carrots. (Different color potatoes do exist).

jkvlondon    3,534
14 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Honestly whenever I eat mixed vegtable Sabji, it almost always tastes too spicy. But I was mostly referring to rainbow potatoes and carrots. (Different color potatoes do exist).

fancy some rainbow gobi to go with that rainbow aloo?

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable+Plants/All+Vegetable+Plants/Cauliflower+Plants+-+Tri-colour+Collection_216171.htm

• Like 1

dallysingh101    1,585
19 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

You have to cook the veges separately! I tried making cauliflower cheese once with normal cauli, broccoli and purple broccoli. The purple broccoli leaked its colour all throughout the dish.  

Edited by dallysingh101
  • Like 1

simran345    2,471
1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

You have to cook the veges separately! I tried making cauliflower cheese once with normal cauli, broccoli and purple broccoli. The purple broccoli leaked its colour all throughout the dish.  

How do you mean cook them separately? If the purple broccoli leaked colour, then do you mean not to add it in the baking dish, but to boil it separately and have separate on the plate after? Or to boil the purple one separately to the green one and then add to the baking dish together?

dallysingh101    1,585
1 hour ago, simran345 said:

How do you mean cook them separately? If the purple broccoli leaked colour, then do you mean not to add it in the baking dish, but to boil it separately and have separate on the plate after? Or to boil the purple one separately to the green one and then add to the baking dish together?

I don't think it is possible to make this dish and keep the purple from running. Even when we boiled the veg separately first, when we stick them in the cheese sauce and bake that for a while, the colours run into the sauce. 

I guess and alternative could be to boil/steam the veg separately and then put them on your plate and then pour cheese sauce on them. I'm sure that can taste REAL nice but it isn't proper cauliflower-cheese to me unless its been baked with browned, melted cheese on top. 

• Like 1

jkvlondon    3,534
2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I don't think it is possible to make this dish and keep the purple from running. Even when we boiled the veg separately first, when we stick them in the cheese sauce and bake that for a while, the colours run into the sauce. 

I guess and alternative could be to boil/steam the veg separately and then put them on your plate and then pour cheese sauce on them. I'm sure that can taste REAL nice but it isn't proper cauliflower-cheese to me unless its been baked with browned, melted cheese on top. 

you forgot the breadcrumbs as well to add crunch to contrast...

• Like 1

dallysingh101    1,585
9 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

I don't do the breadcrumb thing myself. 

Ranjeet01    1,188
11 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

You're going to have come out with your own cookbook. You know you have to 😉

jkvlondon    3,534
2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I don't do the breadcrumb thing myself. 

needs less cheese then and yet is still as satisfying, maybe moreso judging by the 'hungry wolves' response from the lads , just use staleish bread slices and food process/chop/shred into the grated cheese , mix and spread

• Like 3

simran345    2,471
9 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

needs less cheese then and yet is still as satisfying, maybe moreso judging by the 'hungry wolves' response from the lads , just use staleish bread slices and food process/chop/shred into the grated cheese , mix and spread

Is normal bread ok to use ? 

• Like 1

jkvlondon    3,534
Just now, simran345 said:

Is normal bread ok to use ? 

yep I've used brown , white, even stale muffins it all works 

• Like 2

simran345    2,471
2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

yep I've used brown , white, even stale muffins it all works 

Talking about stale bread, I was looking at bread and butter pudding recipes recently, and the amount of butter they use is way too much for what I'd expect .

• Like 1

jkvlondon    3,534
1 hour ago, simran345 said:

Talking about stale bread, I was looking at bread and butter pudding recipes recently, and the amount of butter they use is way too much for what I'd expect .

look up bread pudding it is made with raisins and spices like cinammon and all spice , we used to make it all the time to use up the bread we couldn't sell at Mum and Dad's shop

like this :

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13355/bread-pudding

no eggs you could add some cornflour if you want ...we didn't bother

Edited by jkvlondon
  • Like 2