Jump to content
Guest Jacfsing2

Wasting Time?

Recommended Posts

Guest Jacfsing2

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh! How to control wasting time on useless stuff and focus on building productivity in Gurmat or personal things? Sometimes, I genuinely feel like I could do something so much more; however, it all gets wasted away in stuff that I don't really need or think other people need, (this website being one example, where it just seems like debates and nobody really learns anything). Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jacfsing2
2 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Cut off internet access.

Any other assistance, (though that's a bit hard since I've become some internet addict).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Any other assistance, (though that's a bit hard since I've become some internet addict).

Put a time limit on your internet router so that you're only able to have access during set hours. Give the password to a parent so you aren't tempted to change the settings when you experience withdrawal symptoms. It'll enforce structure and discipline, allowing you to focus on other things, and not wile away the day on the internet. Also, when you wake up in the morning, is the first thing you do is reach for your phone? Stop that. This site won't make you a better Sikh. That type of growth occurs when you're living a full, productive life. Internet life is not anything of value. Yes, it's a learning tool when used positively, otherwise it's a prime enabler of procrastination. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jacfsing2
5 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Also, when you wake up in the morning, is the first thing you do is reach for your phone? 

Sometimes I have this habit of waking-up Amrit Vela, getting my phone and while that doing "Vaheguru, Vaheguru" simran. I really don't understand why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Sometimes I have this habit of waking-up Amrit Vela, getting my phone and while that doing "Vaheguru, Vaheguru" simran. I really don't understand why.

That doesn't sound healthy at all. It's too easy to get sucked into a destructive and addictive internet routine. You're trying to convince yourself you're doing Naam Jap whilst your surti is engrossed in the contents of your screen. That's not genuine, man, that's just taking the mick. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jacfsing2
5 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

That doesn't sound healthy at all. It's too easy to get sucked into a destructive and addictive internet routine. You're trying to convince yourself you're doing Naam Jap whilst your surti is engrossed in the contents of your screen. That's not genuine, man, that's just taking the mick. 

I know it's not right; that's why I'm trying to ask for assistance. At the Gurdwara, I wouldn't dare take my phone out, but outside of that I'm nearly lost into it. For the last few days Guru Sahib hasn't blessed me with a strong Amrit Vela, and now I'm assuming I did something wrong, (I'm assuming it's exactly this thing). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

I know it's not right; that's why I'm trying to ask for assistance. At the Gurdwara, I wouldn't dare take my phone out, but outside of that I'm nearly lost into it. For the last few days Guru Sahib hasn't blessed me with a strong Amrit Vela, and now I'm assuming I did something wrong, (I'm assuming it's exactly this thing). 

Personal responsibility. You place too much emphasis on external factors you have no control over dictating the day to day events of your life. That's a total cop-out, and rather dangerous attitude to adopt.

Edited by MisterrSingh
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

I know it's not right; that's why I'm trying to ask for assistance. At the Gurdwara, I wouldn't dare take my phone out, but outside of that I'm nearly lost into it. For the last few days Guru Sahib hasn't blessed me with a strong Amrit Vela, and now I'm assuming I did something wrong, (I'm assuming it's exactly this thing). 

MisterrSingh paji has given some good advise. 

In your above quoted post, you say that you wouldn't dare take your phone out at the Gurdwara. Why is that? Probably because you see Guruji there, but why don't you apply that to when you wake up at Amrit Vela? Think that Guruji is there when you wake up too. I do understand the phone addiction though, it's difficult to set timings and alarms, but you have to be strict with yourself when it comes to spending less time on the internet, because with the technology nowadays, it's set up that people spend more time, which is profit only for the Internet providers and phone companies. 

Good luck with the self management. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if this will help to break the cycle in the morning but instead of waking and reaching , wake and do shukrana di ardas after a little nam jap for the new day you've been given. Taking this beautiful boon in mind start with dedicating it to Akal Purakh and starting it the right way by doing darshan of Guru ji first before anything else (reading gurbani) . Good luck with the battle , remember Guru ji is sada ang sang

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started sehaj path on phone with reading meanings too. I get so engrossed in meanings that I don't need to chat. Former internet addict. 

For any bad habit set a five or ten minute alarm. Stop when alarm goes and set an hours alarm for your good habit and discipline yourself to follow it. 

Edited by sikhni777
adding info
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, luckysingh99 said:

Just power the damned phone off at set time every night. Don't turn it on until you are in some other part of the house or room the next day. Say, you could leave it in the kitchen and don't switch it on until you having morning tea or coffee.

Phones, gadgets and all the EMF is bad, bad,... bad..Having Wi-Fi and all these radio waves is never going to benefit a Sikh. I have my own theories and evidence of how gadgets, wi-fi and EMF has affected my own abyaas, but I'm not going to get in detail now.

When the forum is full of stuff that is not inspiring, then just disappear for a while. Especially, if you feel it's spiritually draining, then it's time to go try raise your consciousness.

agreed EMF is very damaging to sleep and own psychic fields , loads of experiment data out there .

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, luckysingh99 said:

Just power the damned phone off at set time every night. Don't turn it on until you are in some other part of the house or room the next day. Say, you could leave it in the kitchen and don't switch it on until you having morning tea or coffee.

Phones, gadgets and all the EMF is bad, bad,... bad..Having Wi-Fi and all these radio waves is never going to benefit a Sikh. I have my own theories and evidence of how gadgets, wi-fi and EMF has affected my own abyaas, but I'm not going to get in detail now.

When the forum is full of stuff that is not inspiring, then just disappear for a while. Especially, if you feel it's spiritually draining, then it's time to go try raise your consciousness.

bhaji is absolutely right.

14 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

this website being one example, where it just seems like debates and nobody really learns anything).

I never see people talking about naam abhyaas or genuine questions regarding spirituality.

for example, when i went to tao forums , just by chance, i found people asking genuine questions regarding their spiritual experiences.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kalyugi said:

I never see people talking about naam abhyaas or genuine questions regarding spirituality.

for example, when i went to tao forums , just by chance, i found people asking genuine questions regarding their spiritual experiences.

Much of modern Sikh spirituality, as practiced by most people, is tied up in visual posturing and being seen to do the pious and holy thing. It seems to me that we crave external recognition from others for our spiritual acts, which again feeds into the narcissistic sense of wishing to be admired, or even worshipped for doing good, in the most extreme cases. Rarely are we content with selfless, unnoticeable, and intensely personal devotion on an individual level.

How has this come about? Probably through the emphasis in parchaar that becoming an Amritdhari is an overnight method of attaining spiritual perfection. When was the last time we heard anyone say, "The journey does not end with taking Amrit. It is merely the beginning." When there's a seismic shift in parchaar that emphasises that Sikh spirituality begins from within; that without any firm internal foundations, the outer garb is merely window dressing, we will continue to see the degrading of the Sikh identity by people who seem to assume that looking the part outweighs all other requirements. If you require evidence of my opinions on this matter just look around you at the Amritdhari rank and file. How many truly and absolutely embody those ideals we are taught are the hallmarks of a true Sikh? Scratch that, how many are even diligently WORKING towards attaining such things?

Gosh, I'm nowhere near where i want to be, but I'm aware of my failings. I haven't deluded myself with the idea that the job is done. As far as I'm concerned it's barely started. That comes with humility and perspective. It doesn't come from being led to believe that you're perfect.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • What the hell was i thinking making this crappy post. 😧 Dont i know anything?!?!
    • Guest Singh Jee, you need not any more ardaas or arambh again. Just follow what the Bani says. So, what does the Bani say?  It clearly says: ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਆਸਨੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਉਰਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਕੇਸਰੋ ਲੇ ਛਿਟਕਾਰੇ ॥ Naam Thaero Aasano Naam Thaero Ourasaa Naam Thaeraa Kaesaro Lae Shhittakaarae ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਅੰਭੁਲਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਚੰਦਨੋ ਘਸਿ ਜਪੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਲੇ ਤੁਝਹਿ ਕਉ ਚਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ Naam Thaeraa Anbhulaa Naam Thaero Chandhano Ghas Japae Naam Lae Thujhehi Ko Chaarae ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਦੀਵਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਬਾਤੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਤੇਲੁ ਲੇ ਮਾਹਿ ਪਸਾਰੇ ॥ Naam Thaeraa Dheevaa Naam Thaero Baathee Naam Thaero Thael Lae Maahi Pasaarae ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ ਭਇਓ ਉਜਿਆਰੋ ਭਵਨ ਸਗਲਾਰੇ ॥੨॥ Naam Thaerae Kee Joth Lagaaee Bhaeiou Oujiaaro Bhavan Sagalaarae ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਤਾਗਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਫੂਲ ਮਾਲਾ ਭਾਰ ਅਠਾਰਹ ਸਗਲ ਜੂਠਾਰੇ ॥ Naam Thaero Thaagaa Naam Fool Maalaa Bhaar Athaareh Sagal Joothaarae || ਤੇਰੋ ਕੀਆ ਤੁਝਹਿ ਕਿਆ ਅਰਪਉ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਤੁਹੀ ਚਵਰ ਢੋਲਾਰੇ ॥੩॥ Thaero Keeaa Thujhehi Kiaa Arapo Naam Thaeraa Thuhee Chavar Dtolaarae ਦਸ ਅਠਾ ਅਠਸਠੇ ਚਾਰੇ ਖਾਣੀ ਇਹੈ ਵਰਤਣਿ ਹੈ ਸਗਲ ਸੰਸਾਰੇ ॥ Dhas Athaa Athasathae Chaarae Khaanee Eihai Varathan Hai Sagal Sansaarae ਕਹੈ ਰਵਿਦਾਸੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਆਰਤੀ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਹਰਿ ਭੋਗ ਤੁਹਾਰੇ ॥੪॥੩॥ Kehai Ravidhaas Naam Thaero Aarathee Sath Naam Hai Har Bhog Thuhaarae   Guest Jee, with the verses above , you can see by yourself, that Bhagat Ravi Das is telling us, that, when one is engaged in His devotion with focused attention,  in His Nam, that is all one needs to do, for this His devotion, is more than enough, than any outer ingredients. wahiguru unlike any other gods, godesses, devis, devtays, prophets, avatars, needs nothing from us, except our full atention with love and devotion at His Lotus Feet. Such is the undescribable infinite wadeeayee of our beloved Wahiguru Akal Purukh. Sat Sree Akal.    
    • Quite good,  3 out of five.
    •   MAKE IT BEAUTIFUL WORK FOR A CAUSE NOT FOR APPLAUSE LIVE LIFE TO EXPRESS NOT TO IMPRESS DO NOT STRIVE TO MAKE YOUR PRESENCE NOTICED JUST MAKE YOUR ABSENCE FELT     RELEASE  THE EXPECTATIONS HOW MUCH TIME & ENERGY WE WASTE IN ASKING PEOPLE TO CHANGE WAITING FOR THEM TO CHANGE UPSET BECAUSE THEY DO NOT CHANGE? INVEST A LITTLE TIME AND ENERGY IN TEACHING YOUR OWN MIND TO RELEASE THE EXPECTATIONS       SELF IMPROVEMENT I AM IN COMPETITION WITH NO ONE I RUN MY OWN RACE I HAVE NO DESIRE IN BEING BETTER THAN ANYONE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM I JUST AIM TO IMPROVE TO BE BETTER THAN I WAS BEFORE THAT IS ME AND I AM FREE.     COURAGE KEEP YOUR DREAMS ALIVE UNDERSTAND TO ACHIEVE ANYTHING REQUIRES FAITH AND BELIEF IN YOURSELF VISION, HARD WORK DETERMINATION AND DEDICATION REMEMBER ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE      
×