Meat shop opening right next to Singh Sabha Gurdwara

Never eaten meat, never will, but if Sikhs are apparently permitted to eat meat, then why would they object to a meat shop near a Gurdwara? Be prepared to answer these questions and others if this becomes a bigger problem. Flimsy reasons citing feelings, smell, and whatnot will not wash. Perhaps as situations like these increase with an ever-burgeoning Islamic population flexing it's muscles in places like the UK, confident in the knowledge that its Muslim representatives in local government will smooth over any opposition to their plans, this is a prime example of why picking and choosing what we believe and follow will lead to trouble for us. Things will only get further complicated. Buckle up.

Guest Jacfsing2

Sometimes I feel these Gurdwara Committees have too much free time on their hands, sure they'll stop a Halal market from being open, but exactly how will they stop the Afghan Sikhs from making their own Halal meat shops?

6 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Never eaten meat, never will, but if Sikhs are apparently permitted to eat meat, then why would they object to a meat shop near a Gurdwara? Be prepared to answer these questions and others if this becomes a bigger problem. Flimsy reasons citing feelings, smell, and whatnot will not wash. Perhaps as situations like these increase with an ever-burgeoning Islamic population flexing it's muscles in places like the UK, confident in the knowledge that its Muslim representatives in local government will smooth over any opposition to their plans, this is a prime example of why picking and choosing what we believe and follow will lead to trouble for us. Things will only get further complicated. Buckle up.

This has got nothing to do with meat in general. Let's not try to pretend otherwise.

In the case of halal meat Sikhi is unequivocal that we are banned from going anywhere near meat prepared in an islamic, sacrificial, manner.

It is as much an affront to our religious beliefs as pork is to a muslim. Would muslims accept a pork factory in the vicinity of a mosque?

5 hours ago, kcmidlands said:

My local Gurdwara has a meat shop and a fair few Chicken takeaways near it, no ones ever had an issue with it

This is clearly enough of an issue that the Gurdwara has issued a public appeal over it.

As I said, I am outside of this specific area, but from your handle I guess you might know better. You could perhaps kindly enlighten us on what the situation is there between muslims and kaffirs these days.

From what I have learnt from elders there that fought muslim paedophiles going back decades, there are rife problems with islamics in Birmingham.

Let's be quite frank about this.
For a halal meat shop that wants to open right next to a Gurdwara, it's never merely about business.

37 minutes ago, jashb said:

This has got nothing to do with meat in general. Let's not try to pretend otherwise.

In the case of halal meat Sikhi is unequivocal that we are banned from going anywhere near meat prepared in an islamic, sacrificial, manner.

It is as much an affront to our religious beliefs as pork is to a muslim. Would muslims accept a pork factory in the vicinity of a mosque?

I doubt we'll be afforded the same benefit of the doubt as Jews are in this particular instance. Although i believe this situation might be resolved in our favour, it won't happen without a few figurative body blows to Sikh beliefs being highlighted in the mainstream.

Leading on to my second point: be prepared to explain the intricacies of maryada in relation to this issue, because it's obvious any Muslim opposition - and their supporters in the media - to this issue will be framed around Sikh Islamophobia.

So basically we'll be seeing another example of Sikhs and their beliefs being thrown under the bus of popular opinion because of... well, you know, a self-inflicted problem that was entirely preventable, in this case an inability to put a leash on tastebuds.

2 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I doubt we'll be afforded the same benefit of the doubt as Jews are in this particular instance. Although i believe this situation might be resolved in our favour, it won't happen without a few figurative body blows to Sikh beliefs being highlighted in the mainstream.

I hear you.

The Jews are an interesting case in point. They have mostly avoided conflict with muslims in the UK up to now simply by residing beyond their reach. In the case of Sikhs, on the other hand, pakistani muslims in particular follow us around like a bloody tramp. I witnessed first hand how Ilford South transformed from a genuinely decent place to grow up, into a filthy muslim ghetto over the last 15 years, with all the antisocial problems that a large and concentrated population of muslims living alongside doe eyed kaffirs naturally brings.

Rising property prices in the east end, however, have put paid to erstwhile Jewish complacency. Now previously in poverty muslims can simply sell their right-to-buy council flats to eager hipsters and buy a nice big 5 bedder out in Redbridge.

You should just see how this is playing itself out in formerly Jewish majority areas like Gants Hill, Clayhall and Barkingside.

46 minutes ago, jashb said:

This is clearly enough of an issue that the Gurdwara has issued a public appeal over it.

As I said, I am outside of this specific area, but from your handle I guess you might know better. You could perhaps kindly enlighten us on what the situation is there between muslims and kaffirs these days.

From what I have learnt from elders there that fought muslim paedophiles going back decades, there are rife problems with islamics in Birmingham.

Let's be quite frank about this.
For a halal meat shop that wants to open right next to a Gurdwara, it's never merely about business.

Ok, i'll bite, i grew up in Birmingham (although i don't live there at the moment) and know the area well, Handsworth used to be primarily Punjabi (because they weren't all Sikh), to my knowledge the area of Handsworth this is situated in is now a little more multi-cultural (take that how you will). I had pleanty of disagreements with Muslims back in the 80's but we all grew up, we gave respect and got it back, i've not heard of just Muslim paedophiles from back in the day, there were plenty from other communities as well including Punjabi. As far as Islamics in Birmingham, that's an issue we have all over the UK.

As you've already alluded to, this has nothing to do with the possibility of a meat shop opening, it's because it may be a muslim run halal meat shop, would it be okay if it was a kosher meat shop or "Bob the Butcher's", if your going to complain you need to have a flat standard, have a problem with any type of meat shop not just halal because i don't care what anyone say's, i was bought up to believe eating meat goes against Sikhi.