White guy caught trying to rape woman in USA gurdwara

genie

GRESHAM, Ore. — A Portland man accused of attacking a woman inside a Gresham Sikh Temple while drunk has a criminal history including three DUII convictions, according to court documents.

13481015_G.jpg

Timothy Walter Schmidt is in the Multnomah County jail facing seven charges. The most serious being sex abuse and attempted rape, and he will face a Multnomah County judge on Tuesday afternoon.

Gresham police say the 37-year-old was drunk when he asked to use the bathroom around 10 PM Sunday, March 26, 2017.

Sikh Temple members let him inside. Police say he then found a 26-year-old woman in the building and attacked her.

Police say another temple member heard the attack, and pulled Schmidt off the woman - holding him down until police arrived. It is not clear if religion or ethnicity played a role in the attack, but that is something police are looking into.

No one at the Sikh Temple wanted to comment on what happened.

A search of Schmidt's criminal history returned DUII convictions in 2007, 2013 and 2015.

http://katu.com/news/local/sikh-temple-attack-suspect-has-criminal-history-involving-alcohol

===================

This is evil and sickening in a Sikh gurdwara? A White guy tore pages out of SGGS Ji recently, A few gurdwara's been attacked since 9/11, A white terrorist shot a singh in Seattle a few days ago. A white terrorist  murdered 8 Sikhs in 2012 in gurdwara in Wisconsin and now its this attempted rape and sexual assault on a sister?

How long will American Sikhs tolerate this anti-sikh attacks before they started to grow a pair and do something physically about defending their people and places of worship?

2 hours ago, genie said:

This is evil and sickening in a Sikh gurdwara? A White guy tore pages out of SGGS Ji recently, A few gurdwara's been attacked since 9/11, A white terrorist shot a singh in Seattle a few days ago. A white terrorist  murdered 8 Sikhs in 2012 in gurdwara in Wisconsin and now its this attempted rape and sexual assault on a sister?

How long will American Sikhs tolerate this anti-sikh attacks before they started to grow a pair and do something physically about defending their people and places of worship?

While the others are obviously hate crimes, I think this was just a drunk <banned word filter activated>. Not that I'm saying his attempted rape is acceptable. 

These gurdwaray are in low Sikh population areas, not much Sangat present, and is usually seniors there if anything. Not much the US Sikhs can do unfortunately. I think we can cut them slack. 

3 hours ago, genie said:

What do you propose Sikhs in America should do to deal with all of the issues you highlighted?  I'm curious.

Btw, where are you from Genie?

18 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

What do you propose Sikhs in America should do to deal with all of the issues you highlighted?  I'm curious.

I think American Sikhs need to create a central Sikh body of America's where national security is priority. resolutions can be passed and create protocols so that they can be enforced. So for example defending sangat and Guru Ji would be priority but also preventing such things as stopping the anti-sikh mixed faith anand karaj beadhi that canadian and american sikh gurdwara committee's allow still. Most UK gurdwara's have no started to stop this beadhi insult to their Guru, but they have yet to implement tough security for Guru's ghar as we can see they get robbed by non-sikhs and Guru Ji is attacked.

There's a private Sikh security firms in America, one is run by "goray Sikhs" called akal security. Sikhs in the west need to create a security force like this for all gurdwara's and have Sikhs on guard duty on a well paid salary to prevent beadhi and kick out undesirables who cause trouble.

28 minutes ago, genie said:

I think American Sikhs need to create a central Sikh body of America's where national security is priority. resolutions can be passed and create protocols so that they can be enforced. So for example defending sangat and Guru Ji would be priority but also preventing such things as stopping the anti-sikh mixed faith anand karaj beadhi that canadian and american sikh gurdwara committee's allow still. Most UK gurdwara's have no started to stop this beadhi insult to their Guru, but they have yet to implement tough security for Guru's ghar as we can see they get robbed by non-sikhs and Guru Ji is attacked.

There's a private Sikh security firms in America, one is run by "goray Sikhs" called akal security. Sikhs in the west need to create a security force like this for all gurdwara's and have Sikhs on guard duty on a well paid salary to prevent beadhi and kick out undesirables who cause trouble.

Do Sikhs in the UK have such a central Sikh body?  Do they have a security force stationed in each Gurdwara?

Also, while a private security force would help stop such incidents from occurring in Gurdwaras, what would your propose doing to stop the hate crimes that occur outside of Gurdwaras?

20 minutes ago, californiasardar1 said:

Do Sikhs in the UK have such a central Sikh body?  Do they have a security force stationed in each Gurdwara?

Also, while a private security force would help stop such incidents from occurring in Gurdwaras, what would your propose doing to stop the hate crimes that occur outside of Gurdwaras?

UK Sikhs have a few bodies that look after their interests but arent like the ones I feel the USA should have and UK too same goes for a private security force I proposed this in another thread ages ago when incident of beadhi happened in the UK.

The reason why I single out the USA for this is because they have had the brunt of all anti-sikh hate crimes in the west. UK Sikhs had to deal with this kinda crap back in 70s and 80s and have fought by protests and politics and have evolved to find a good place in society. American Sikhs haven't had that struggle yet they will have to come together and fight for their own protection and interests instead of fighting for everyone's interests and neglecting their own.

58 minutes ago, genie said:

UK Sikhs have a few bodies that look after their interests but arent like the ones I feel the USA should have and UK too same goes for a private security force I proposed this in another thread ages ago when incident of beadhi happened in the UK.

The reason why I single out the USA for this is because they have had the brunt of all anti-sikh hate crimes in the west. UK Sikhs had to deal with this kinda crap back in 70s and 80s and have fought by protests and politics and have evolved to find a good place in society. American Sikhs haven't had that struggle yet they will have to come together and fight for their own protection and interests instead of fighting for everyone's interests and neglecting their own.

Genie, I agree with the spirit of your suggestions, but I'm afraid the situation for Sikhs in America is much different than it is for Sikhs in England  The biggest difference is our population density, and that makes it harder than you might realize to accomplish some of your goals.

America has a population that is 6 times as large as the population of England.  On the other hand, America has only half as many Sikhs as England.  To make matters worse, while Sikhs in England are almost entirely concentrated around the London metropolitan area or the West Midlands (two regions that, by American standards, are very close to each other anyway), Sikhs in America are spread out all over the place.  There are only a few places where we have sizable numbers, and even in those cases, it's not remotely close to what you would find in London, Birmingham, Vancouver, Toronto, etc. 

To put this in perspective, take two places where incidents have occurred: Gresham, Oregon and Oak Creek, Wisconsin.  Oregon is on the west coast, so you might think it is close to the Sikh community in California, but it is in fact 1000 miles from where I live in Los Angeles (same distance between London and Madrid).  Oak Creek is about 900 miles from New York, and 2000 miles from Los Angeles (greater than the distance between London and Istanbul).

So when you ask Sikhs in America what they are going to do about these incidents, and I'm sitting here in Los Angeles, it would sound like me asking Sikhs in London or Birmingham what they are going to do about a random incident that affected the tiny Sikh communities in Madrid, or Athens, or Rome, or Norway, or Belgium.  It's hard to respond collectively as a "community" when the community is so thinly dispersed.  We just don't have the numbers.

I think having a private security force to protect Gurdwaras is a good idea.  However, I am not sure how feasible it would be in terms of raising the money required to fund such an operation.  Also, I imagine a lot of these Gurdwaras in isolated areas have very few sangat and may only be open irregularly.  Does the Sikh community have the resources to provide private security for Gurdwaras in far off places with just a handful of sangat?  Moreoever, such a security force would not address issues that take place outside of Gurdwaras.

What the Sikh community in America has done is establish organizations such as the Sikh Coalition and SALDEF (Sikh American Legal Defense & Education Fund).  These organizations help spread awareness about the Sikh community and provide legal resources to fight for civil rights and fight against hate crimes.  I think that is actually the most effective use of the community's resources, given how spread out and small we are.

Also, while I share your frustration with Sikhs seemingly fighting for other people's interests and neglecting their own, there is a method to their madness.  With how small we are as a community, one of the most effective ways to fight for and ensure our rights and security is to ally with other groups and organizations who are sympathetic to our plight.  By banding together with other oppressed groups who face similar challenges, we are stronger.

I'll add one thing: I think Sikhs in America should take it upon themselves not to live in the middle of nowhere.  We should try to live in metropolitan areas with a relatively large number of Sikhs and a relatively liberal community.  It is a shame that we are as spread out as we are.

5 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

US sikhs should become shastardhari like own firearms etc and get conceal and carry

I actually thought that it was the norm in the US sangat to carry weapons. My uncle who lives in the states owns a gun and told me that most Sikhs families in his neighbour do too (not because its unsafe but just for a fall back). I'm a bit shocked that there werent any in the Gurudwara.