Why don't sikhs increase their numbers , like muslims do ? Why are we so complacent ?

14 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

There are some Sikhs out there who feel completely disenfranchised from the mainstream, be it the religious orthodox mainstream, or the middle class, professional types. They don't fit in any of the boxes through no fault of their own. Those are the people who need to be reminded they have a place in our community, because if we don't, then there's going to be opportunists ready to swoop in and turn them against the rest. 

I think the Internet can help big time in this. 

Guest Jacfsing2
13 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

religious orthodox mainstream, 

If you said this to me about a year ago; I'd probably be asking why? But now I can see some problems our "religious", people seem to be making; which just pushes an average person away from going to a Gurdwara. Also I'd also deny any "accusations", if you mentioned this when I was a new Amritdhari, but learning so much internally; (not spiritual internal, but political internal), I seem to agree with this now.

Guest Jacfsing2
1 minute ago, dallysingh101 said:

I think the Internet can help big time in this. 

Media can make someone look bad; just remember that Akal Takht incident when some SGPC Keshdhari Hindus, (note, not Sikhs), were taking about Kirpans and playing foolish warrior.

1 hour ago, Jacfsing2 said:

If you said this to me about a year ago; I'd probably be asking why? But now I can see some problems our "religious", people seem to be making; which just pushes an average person away from going to a Gurdwara. Also I'd also deny any "accusations", if you mentioned this when I was a new Amritdhari, but learning so much internally; (not spiritual internal, but political internal), I seem to agree with this now.

Again, it's not about pinning blame, or going after certain groups. It's just a case of reminding people that as Sikhs we need to look out for each other. I'm not blaming Amritdharis for the woes of the world, lol. I just think we should be at the forefront of certain issues that I wouldn't expect others to bother with. But that's not happening for some reason, or at least not in a noticeable manner.

On 3/24/2017 at 6:27 PM, dallysingh101 said:

Of the former type: I saw an Amritdhari bibi walking with her young, soon to be teenager son, and it was just so clear that the kid would never be of any use under any dire circumstances due to his upbringing. Then I thought about most of the guys I've met (over the years) who did step up (like SP guys) and I realised most of them were just standard Panjabi guys - street guys, usually monay (but not all). It's sad that Amritdharis don't step up much these days, because the whole original Amrit was based around that. I think them living in their bubble is as bad as the type you mention.

If most of the guys who "step up" in your area are just "standard Punjabi guys," maybe that has something to do with the fact that "standard Punjabi guys" outnumber amritdharis by a ratio of, what, 40 to 1?  50 to 1?  100 to 1?

On 3/24/2017 at 2:31 PM, dallysingh101 said:

I tell you what - on the other hand. Having a small amount of quietest, conservative kids that are essentially being micro-groomed for academia and then some plush office job (which is what the majority of affluent Amritdharis consider 'Sikh' child rearing these days), isn't going to create any sort of robust fauj either. 

1.  You are complaining that amritdharis/religious sikhs are failing to do what is necessary to create a "robust fauj."  Let me ask you something: in the 1980s, who stepped up and put their lives on the line?  It was 90% amritdharis and/or religious, keshadhari singhs.  They bled, gave up their lives, had their families subjected to all kinds of atrocities.  How much can these people take?

2.  Your critique is based on the assumption of what a "robust fauj" is.  The world has changed.  The Sikh nation is not going to liberated by a few unorganized, rag-tag gangs of 20 year old boys in the Punjab countryside.  The Sikh nation is also not going to be liberated by vigilante groups of mundey in Canada or the UK. 

What we need, what we have been sorely lacking for our entire existence, is a strong group of educated, intelligent, and passionate Sikhs who can formulate nuanced, viable strategies for the quam to meet its challenges, and who have the intelligence, resources, and networks to implement such strategies.  With that in mind, I see nothing wrong in amritdhari/religious kids being groomed for success in academics and the professional world.  Look at Jews.  They are smaller in population than we are, but they are generally very well educated and successful, and, on top of that, help each other out.  They wield a tremendous amount of influence and power because they have positioned themselves in such a way.  That's the way for us to get ahead and protect our interests in the modern world.

So you people have a population density where you can actually do something if you choose to.  You can form little gangs or whatever to protect the community.  You actually HAVE a community.  You have a critical mass of Sikhs in certain areas and can exert your influence.  We don't have that here.

Are you kidding me.

You have communities there over a 100 years old. You have massive concentrations in Richmond Hill and probably a bunch of other places too. 

14 minutes ago, californiasardar1 said:

And that leads to tough guys sitting in front of their laptops in England or Canada jumping to conclusions about Sikhs in America getting stomped over and the supposed weakness of Sikh men in America. 

Look, this feminisation of Sikh males isn't confined to one country. It's a global phenomena. However, we've seen a lot of Sikhs being attacked in the US, so it isn't like there isn't a problem there.