singhbj singh

Should we use Graffiti to spread Awareness ?

25 posts in this topic

You know..people piss on those walls? Do you really want any symbols of our Faith to be on there? Like Gurbani?

Edited by Kira

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Graffiti is defacing others property and effectively vandalism.

What if everyone did this? Would you like a mural of Muhammed spray painted on the side of your house?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no gurbani on there :/

Love it. I'm all for art as long as people don't start worshipping it or giving it undue significance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who's the man with the cresent moon and star behind his head? Mohammed? Aren't pictorial representations of their prophet supposed to be haram?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kira said:

You know..people piss on those walls? Do you really want any symbols of our Faith to be on there? Like Gurbani?

Just leave 4-5 foot space from ground n then paint.

No symbols & Gurbani.

Plenty of art promoting Sikh culture n history is available online & museums.

That should inspire graffiti artists to create their own work.

I think Sikh organisations should commission them to paint.

They could organise a competition, give artists a Theme to create.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, S4NGH said:

There's no gurbani on there :/

Love it. I'm all for art as long as people don't start worshipping it or giving it undue significance.

Totally Agree 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Who's the man with the cresent moon and star behind his head? Mohammed? Aren't pictorial representations of their prophet supposed to be haram?

Who knows & cares as long as it's not offensive.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

Who knows & cares as long as it's not offensive.

 

It matters because he's been painted sitting next to Guru Sahib. Why not research something before posting it, if that's not too much hard work for you. "Who knows & cares..." Stupid response.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

It matters because he's been painted sitting next to Guru Sahib. Why not research something before posting it, if that's not too much hard work for you. "Who knows & cares..." Stupid response.

Ang 479 Line 7 Raag Asa: Bhagat Kabir

ਜੇ ਏਹ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਸਾਚੀ ਹੈ ਤਉ ਗੜ੍ਹਣਹਾਰੇ ਖਾਉ ॥੩॥

Jae Eaeh Moorath Saachee Hai Tho Garrhanehaarae Khaao ||3||

जे एह मूरति साची है तउ गड़्हणहारे खाउ ॥३॥

If this stone god was true, it would devour the sculptor for this! ||3||

Likewise if the depiction of Guru ji was real & intent disrespectful then it would devour the painter for this !

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No! We should not support this. Even though Guru Sahib has no picture this guy is supporting a form of Manmat that Sikhi is equal to false religions like Islam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

Fair enough, no depiction of Mahapurakhs but what is your opinion about other links ?

problem is the medium Graffiti is temporary and often overwritten/drawn , It makes more sense to have dynamic sewa  in locales to get the buzz about sikhi going instead , that way Guru ji is appreciated firstly for creating us .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jacfsing2 said:

No! We should not support this. Even though Guru Sahib has no picture this guy is supporting a form of Manmat that Sikhi is equal to false religions like Islam.

That is your interpretation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

It matters because he's been painted sitting next to Guru Sahib. Why not research something before posting it, if that's not too much hard work for you. "Who knows & cares..." Stupid response.

There's nothing to say the face covered man/woman is supposed to be Mohammed. The painting to the left is also NOT guru sahib. It's simply an artist impression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

problem is the medium Graffiti is temporary and often overwritten/drawn , It makes more sense to have dynamic sewa  in locales to get the buzz about sikhi going instead , that way Guru ji is appreciated firstly for creating us .

Wall Graffiti is meant to create Awareness amongst non-Sikhs.

Poor Americans on street don't know about Sikh attire, culture & beliefs.

Which is the reason for promoting such initiatives.

Temporary is good that way old makes way for new artwork.

Gurdwara's with help of local council can organise an Annual Event to draw crowds n votes :p

Rich sponsors can get their faces painted in the theme too O:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

Wall Graffiti is meant to create Awareness amongst non-Sikhs.

Poor Americans on street don't know about Sikh attire, culture & beliefs.

Which is the reason for promoting such initiatives.

Temporary is good that way old makes way for new artwork.

Gurdwara's with help of local council can organise an Annual Event to draw crowds n votes :p

Rich sponsors can get their faces painted in the theme too O:)

problem is a picture cannot speak and correct misinterpretations , graffiti has links with claiming territory and may be seen as foreign entities taking over a neighbourhood especially now , nothing better than the human touch and talking.

You a catholic by any chance because they love this style of selling space in their churches to rich folks? .

Edited by jkvlondon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

problem is a picture cannot speak and correct misinterpretations , graffiti has links with claiming territory and may be seen as foreign entities taking over a neighbourhood especially now , nothing better than the human touch and talking.

You a catholic by any chance because they love this style of selling space in their churches to rich folks? .

The first graffiti has been around for years.

I thought it was new but checked other sources which go back to 2014.

There have been no report of any bad incident relating to this graffiti.

Human touch & talking is good so get BOS or Sikh Channels to interview the artist n locals.

Am no catholic or even a Sikh just straight forward practical person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

Am no catholic or even a Sikh 

I wouldn't really expect that you weren't Sikh, but it seems to make sense now. (Your words not mine.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, S4NGH said:

That is your interpretation.

Do you think Muhammad was a nice guy? (At a minimum?) I may not be a supporter of Jesus; however, at least his intention was legit, (not logical; however, for a false God his heart was in the right place), but with Muhammad he was a mad man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2017 at 4:26 PM, Jacfsing2 said:

Do you think Muhammad was a nice guy? (At a minimum?) I may not be a supporter of Jesus; however, at least his intention was legit, (not logical; however, for a false God his heart was in the right place), but with Muhammad he was a mad man.

Do you know Jesus personally? Or are you going by the bedtime stories told by the children of his friends and followers and god knows who many many years after his death, which have been altered 100s of times often to suit political agendas? I've no idea where Jesus's heart was or whether the guy even existed. Frankly, I care not. Do I think Muhammed was a nice guy? What does it matter what I think? I'm nobody. Again, I really couldn't give a hoot.

I only care about Jagat Guru. Ain't no one compare to them. :) peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2017 at 4:26 PM, Jacfsing2 said:

Do you think Muhammad was a nice guy? (At a minimum?) I may not be a supporter of Jesus; however, at least his intention was legit, (not logical; however, for a false God his heart was in the right place), but with Muhammad he was a mad man.

Actually Jesus never said he was the son of god or God for that part. That was a delusion later on propagated by the Roman Christian Church under Constantine I think.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Loading...



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Maybe with your karma you were probably supposed to be expelled that day; and Vaheguru took that out. Sorry but there are 3 types of Karma: The Karma in your bank account, (which must be used, may be destroyed with Gur-Prassad), The Karma that you MUST pay in this life, (No exception, but can be reduced with Gur-Prassad), and the Karma that you will accumulate in this life; that should be payed in life, (may or may not be forgiven). Your Bhagti and Ardas could have decreased the debt that you were suppose to pay in this life, by merely failing the test, instead of failing. This is what separates from every other Monotheistic religions; except Sikhi; and that is we believe in Karma; and how we are different from the other Dharmic Faiths is we believe in grace and mercy; (Sikhi is a universal region; only referred it as Dharmic due to location of founding). You probably studied enough to pass; but all Karma that must be paid is paid either in full; or Guru Sahib takes your bad Karma for you and says take it away. This isn't gurbani, but we read it during Ardas: "Nanak Naam Jahaz Hai, Chade So Uttre Paar O Nanak, the name of Waheguru is like a ship which will take You to Your salvation (Take You across the ocean of life) Jo Sharda Kare Sevde, Gur Paar Uttaran Hor The ones who preach Waheguru’s name in their hearts, He takes those to their salvation Gur Paar Uttaran Hor He takes those to their salvation"
    • https://gurbaninow.com/shabad/1451/17118
    • Ok so you didn't pass your test. But you can hardly blame God for that. Even though you put in a lot of work, I understand that, but maybe it wasn't enough, otherwise you would have passed right?  This is the thing, we tend to do paat to receive something. I'm not saying don't ask Waheguru for anything, because they are the only one that will bless and even I do ardas to them for help at times. But what I'm saying is, if you didn't receive what you wished for, don't be upset with Waheguru too much with the result, maybe there's a diversion coming in your life or it wasn't that you were to pass it because of something else or another opportunity. This time of sadness will pass too, it's normal to feel this way. I read somewhere once, God gives us what we need, not what we desire. I'm still trying to think of how this relates to my life too.  What's done is done now and it can't be reversed. Now you have to think what to do next, what are your other options. But first you should relax take a break and not keep dwelling on what's happened. Think positive that something good is in store in the future. I know this sounds weird, but one hasn't seen their future, you shouldn't predict your present on your future.   
    • Thank you everybody, but I still feel sad, not because I didn't get what I wanted but I feel sad with mahraj ji. what I wanted was to pass a test that ive been trying so hard for, I have done path too especially dedicated to this and ardas and on the day I even took a cyber hukamnama and it was really positive cant remember it exactly, it was something like waheguru ji gives you what you wish for (I just read the translations).... and today I was awake at amrit vela but I didn't get up to do my nitnem I stayed in bed and did simran, I just wanted to show mahraj ji that I am upset with him a little bit, just as I would do to show my mum ...... I don't know if gods feeling anything  or just doesn't care lol
    • there is a lot of iron in dal and beans especially BLACK BEANS   if you want to learn indian cooking  watch Sanjay on VAHREHVAH.COM   ...food always turns out great and he is a bit enthuastic . Recommend watching the following channels to get more info : mic.the Vegan (gives the science papers) John McDougall (Doctor - starch solution) Vegsource (all the plant based docs and info) Vegan style cooking (aussie lady showing various dishes )   Interesting for health topics : Diverse Health Services Dr John Bergman