Which is the greater trait, Loyalty or honesty?

It doesn't take most people too long to realise you can be loyal without being honest. Yet history is rife with examples of people who were loyal when, honestly, they knew better. The most sensational example of this is, of course, the Nazi's, but the concept hits a little closer to home than that.

loyalty.jpg

Loyalty will always be valued over honesty by those in a position of authority (be it political, religious, secular businesses or social groups) simply because no one wants to be told they're wrong. We instinctively and inherently resent honest notions that force us to justify ourselves. And so, our natural sense of values are topsy-turvy. Someone that's loyal is seen as more valuable, more of a team player, more of an asset. While someone that's honest is difficult, a trouble-maker. 

Reality, of course, is just the opposite. The seemingly loyal devotee isn't at all loyal. They're dishonest. While the honest devotee is loyal to principle before position. 

If you find yourself in a position where you are challenged to be either loyal or honest, choose the tougher road less travelled and be honest...

Source - http://onyxstone.blogspot.in/2007/08/loyalty-or-honesty.html?m=1

Loyalty vs Honesty

There is a fine line between loyalty and honesty. While one can side with either or but the merit of such action cannot be discerned fully or truthfully.  No matter what one chooses … being loyal or being honest, the fact remains that it will have strong consequences. I personally cannot say what is right or wrong in a given situation: being loyal to someone to the extent that you can lie for them or remain honest even when your loyalty may be questioned.  This is a hard one. I simply know that loyalty, while sacrificing honesty, might help you win someone’s confidence and maybe love, or get you an approval of “majority”  but at the end it is an act of “dishonesty” towards someone. And all those appreciating that individual’s loyalty by sacrificing honesty are approving that individual for all the wrong reasons. Such relationships that lack honesty won’t last long as their foundation is based on shallow “loyalty.” On flip side those whom one considers deserving of any loyalty should never put anyone they care for in a dilemma to make such choice. Good relationships don’t test each other but their credibility is based on how they bring out the best in each other. Relationships should be motivational and inspirational….where one can nurture who they are and not gradually suffocate and kill all that is good in their beings. This is not easy this requires immense courage as truth requires one to stand out and stand alone….which may alienate them from the “crowd” temporarily but eventually this will become their strength ….a source of their strong character.  In my humble opinion being honest is liberating and leads to peace and contentment and if one can understand it is the best form of loyalty.

Source - http://theseeker-fnh.com/?p=26