Jacfsing2

Gender Ratio of Amritdharis?

39 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Totally agree, when I Chacked Amrit I felt like I would be the only one in modern day without a Jatha; (gladly I was wrong on that). Also even among members of the same Jatha getting married there is a chance of divorces still happening because of not being open-minded to any differences from each other. (Hopefully this close-mindedness dies someday or else we'll just look like a joke of a group of people to an extent that still hasn't been seen). Sometimes I feel some people take looking for Rishtas as something like middle schoolers making-up some perfect boyfriend/husband who completely agrees in every mindset. (Sadly, to anyone who still thinks like that in past 20: perfection only exists in Vaheguru, and no offense to anyone but if you think you're all that great, and even if you probably are; you aren't seated on the true throne of Guru Sahib.) Hopefully people aren't so extreme and having divorces over something comparable to putting on your right shoe first or your left shoe first, (that's how silly Jatha-fanatics are these days). 

couldn't this be a simple case of adjustment e.g. someone reads extra bani the other wears a dastar even the women don't have to now  ...and they carry on progressing . I am surprised that divorces have happened due to  such small differences , but then again they are surrounded by narcisstic special snowflake attitudes in the general population

Mum and Dad had amrit with us at an AKJ rehnsabhai because it was the closest to us and we gained sangat of Akj people, DDT, independents we never got into the politics just paid attention to the real deal Gurbani , simran and sewa and that's I think it should be . I put a dastar on , but my sisters who just wear a chunni have my love and respect too there is no difference . The only thing that bothers me is the pretentiousness that the youth have and the increasing intolerance . Maybe it's a recent thing , maybe hate speech such as Dhumma did against Ranjit Singh (and other jathey) is something that is going on behind the scenes I'm not sure but it really is saddening after seeing the true love for each other that vadde Singhs had and have for each other  during the seventies and eighties .

Edited by jkvlondon
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

couldn't this be a simple case of adjustment e.g. someone reads extra bani the other wears a dastar even the women don't have to now  ...and they carry on progressing . I am surprised that divorces have happened due to  such small differences , but then again they are surrounded by narcisstic special snowflake attitudes in the general population

Mum and Dad had amrit with us at an AKJ rehnsabhai because it was the closest to us and we gained sangat of Akj people, DDT, independents we never got into the politics just paid attention to the real deal Gurbani , simran and sewa and that's I think it should be . I put a dastar on , but my sisters who just wear a chunni have my love and respect too there is no difference . The only thing that bothers me is the pretentiousness that the youth have and the increasing intolerance . Maybe it's a recent thing , maybe hate speech such as Dhumma did against Ranjit Singh (and other jathey) is something that is going on behind the scenes I'm not sure but it really is saddening after seeing the true love for each other that vadde Singhs had and have for each other  during the seventies and eighties .

The entire situation is really sad to be honest. Gurbachana and Indra didn't go around looking for AKJs and Taksalis to kill; they looked to kill Sikhs. The rest of the world when they see us fighting see Sikhs fighting, not AKJs, Taksali, etc. fighting. Today that Prem that existed in 78 would be very hard to see, especially with intense disrespect for even Amrit of other Jathas, people shouldn't be saying one Amrit is right or another is right, since they only requirement should be it's made with Sarbloh Batta, Sarbloh Khanda, Punj Pyare Singhs all memorize Nitnem, and giving-out the Rehat.

Also about the divorce situations going around with Amritdharis; only Vaheguru can help us with that. It seems to be easier for Non-Amritdharis to just ask what is the benefit of it; when our people make simple excuses to break a Guru's Rishta. Also something that is sad is some Amritdharis who are normally all great and Chardi-Kala seem to make exceptions for being great when it comes to Anand Karajs, (it's so bad that they'll even bring their own manmat into it).

And to remind us of the title of the topic, there seems to clearly be a lack of Prachar for women being Amritdhari; then for men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

The entire situation is really sad to be honest. Gurbachana and Indra didn't go around looking for AKJs and Taksalis to kill; they looked to kill Sikhs. The rest of the world when they see us fighting see Sikhs fighting, not AKJs, Taksali, etc. fighting. Today that Prem that existed in 78 would be very hard to see, especially with intense disrespect for even Amrit of other Jathas, people shouldn't be saying one Amrit is right or another is right, since they only requirement should be it's made with Sarbloh Batta, Sarbloh Khanda, Punj Pyare Singhs all memorize Nitnem, and giving-out the Rehat.

Also about the divorce situations going around with Amritdharis; only Vaheguru can help us with that. It seems to be easier for Non-Amritdharis to just ask what is the benefit of it; when our people make simple excuses to break a Guru's Rishta. Also something that is sad is some Amritdharis who are normally all great and Chardi-Kala seem to make exceptions for being great when it comes to Anand Karajs, (it's so bad that they'll even bring their own manmat into it).

And to remind us of the title of the topic, there seems to clearly be a lack of Prachar for women being Amritdhari; then for men.

Amrit is made the same ,with the same Khanda , the same sarbloh baata,  with same banian , with the same blessings of Guru ji's nadar There IS ONLY ONE AMRIT , ONE NAAM    since when did Guru ji's blessing become wrong or right dependent on the people hosting the sanchar??

 We need to spread the love we have received from Guru Sahib and our elders on the Path

We need to remind apne that marriage is meant to be for this life time  and to be slow to wed after making sure that qualities and expectations of life are matched closely, and have counsellors preferably male and female versed in gurmat to help couples when they get stuck ... no matter what stage they are in life (so many older couples are struggling but would balk at airing dirty linen to goray)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

Amrit is made the same ,with the same Khanda , the same sarbloh baata,  with same banian , with the same blessings of Guru ji's nadar There IS ONLY ONE AMRIT , ONE NAAM    since when did Guru ji's blessing become wrong or right dependent on the people hosting the sanchar??

 We need to spread the love we have received from Guru Sahib and our elders on the Path

We need to remind apne that marriage is meant to be for this life time  and to be slow to wed after making sure that qualities and expectations of life are matched closely, and have counsellors preferably male and female versed in gurmat to help couples when they get stuck ... no matter what stage they are in life (so many older couples are struggling but would balk at airing dirty linen to goray)

Some people do think about right or wrong:

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

clean and hairless ? see how even you are using their language , kesh are not dirty if you bathe regularly . realise how those adverts seep into your subconcious so that we inadvertently use similar language ourselves. 

the way I am handling it with little Isher Kaur is explaining to her the jobs that her rom do for her, how it's part of her and she is lovely as Waheguru ji made her. 

I am INdeed talking about them In their language 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I am generalising here. 

Are Sikhs a culture?

Yes, 'Sikhs' is my culture, if it hasn't become a mainstream Sikh culture by now whose fault is it?

I follow Sikh culture and not the so called 'Punjabi' (trash) culture, apart from language or HINTS of its cuisine and clothing BUT NOTHING ELSE. By the way, I AM AN AMRITDHARI SIKH!

 

Edited by CHaamCHrick
4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2017 at 1:11 AM, sikhni777 said:

Someone who wears a dastar once told me ... he does not want his son to have a handicap of dastar which will limit his swimming abilities.

So ridiculous !

Its unbelievable that some of us can be so stupid ! 

You should have asked him what stopped him from removing / cutting off that handicap for himself ?

Its not like a circumcision is  it ?? Its not a one way thing ! His parents chose dastaar for him , now he can cut his hair and say bye to it ? whats the deal ?!! why pretend to be victim of your own faith , when we have such a beautiful faith ?

I think most sikhs are spoiled by freebies our guru always gave us (langar and feasts among others) come to my mind . Such people deserved to be hindus or muslims who would stand long queues in line in temple/dargah only to return empty handed/stomached

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CHaamCHrick said:

No, it really depends on what YOU mean by it.  

"Culture consists of the beliefs, behaviors, objects, and other characteristics common to the members of a particular group or society. Through culture, people and groups define themselves, conform to society's shared values, and contribute to society." https://www.cliffsnotes.com

 

If enough Sikh people lived by the concepts (BELIEFS) of the SGGS, behaved accordingly or in accordance with them, and held all its objects in awe it would have definitely metamorphosed into a Sikh culture by now! 

Sikhi is a LIFESTYLE. The GURUS have TAUGHT US, THE SIKHS, HOW TO LIVE OUR LIVES.:ghost: There can be NOTHING more simplistic than the Sikh lifestyle. Moreover, the Gurus are very clear on this.

Our Beloved Gurus have taught us not to indulge in so many things, such as:. Dowry(not permissible)  female infanticides/kurimaars,(NP) no gender inequality, no jaat paat, no satti sacrifices, Sikhs marrying Sikhs, no nindiya or chuglies, no stealing, good education, help the needy, show compassion and kindness to animals, nature (trees, forests and birds), equal rights for women (Sikhi is the pioneer of equal rights for women and not the western countries); there are many more concepts in Sikhi which can become mainstream culture of the Sikhs, if only we care to find them.

It can only become culture if done for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2017 at 3:08 AM, MisterrSingh said:

It's for the best. At least if there's less of them they're safe from guys like OP. :rofl I'm just kidding with you, Singh.

Come on ! you're better than this ! 

Joking on a serious thread ?? this is where the problems start in panth ! we take things not seriously and rest you know 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Come on ! you're better than this ! 

Joking on a serious thread ?? this is where the problems start in panth ! we take things not seriously and rest you know 

I can't be in Sant mode 24/7. I'm not a machine. I struggle to be in Sant mode for an hour, lol, jokes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 16/03/2017 at 7:36 AM, californiasardar1 said:

I think women view keeping body hair as a great limitation that will isolate them socially.  I think that at least partially explains the amritdhari gender gap.  But that is only one factor.


Don't sikh men feel isolated socially ? How many men around you are wrapping a 5 meter cloth on their head and never cutting their hair/beard ? You know well ! 

Don't we all have those bad days in offices when its not just the work pressure but also because our turban isn't tied well and it hurts like hell !? 

then what excuse do kaurs have ? bullocks ! 

 

Quote

 

In general, I think young Sikh women are less inclined to feel a connection with their Sikh heritage than young Sikh men are (even in cases where that connection does not necessarily involve being amritdhari).

For this, I blame their conflation of Sikhi with conservative Punjabi culture

 


So now all those bhangre and gidde burraaaaahhhhhs are paying back , no ?

We used to be known as a community of raga kirtans and "ucha sucha jeevan" but now people raise eyebrows if you tell them you're a "singh" and you don't drink or eat meat. 

Revelation of sikhi to punjabis was kinda mistake I guess lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

I can't be in Sant mode 24/7. I'm not a machine. I struggle to be in Sant mode for an hour, lol, jokes.

uncle ji no one expects you to be in sant mode all time . We can create a separate thread/section for light humor lol.

And besides , lets stop using "sant" so generically haha

"Sant" is ultimate spiritual station ! It is being one with god ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping this: Is it really that hard for Amritdharis to find Rishtas that some people propose Chacking Amrit after marriage; I'd assume it would be easier for an Amritdhari Kaurs to find Rishtas than an Amritdhari Singhs, because the gender ratio should benefit them; (if the Amritdhari Singhs are ONLY willing to have an Anand Karaj with someone who's Chacked Amrit before them meeting; rather than open to the "Willing to Take Amrit" crowd)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now