Gender Ratio of Amritdharis?

Guest Jacfsing2

2 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Maybe it's because men and women become amritdhari for different reasons.

men I think do it for status if they are immature but most hopefully because of love of the Guru

Women for the love of guru firstly because so many oppose her  but some do only  for family 

7 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

I agree a bibi should answer the call to Amrit as soon as possible before marriage because otherwise she would not have developed enough depth of abiyhass to discern potential hazards to her sikhi by prospective families . Plenty of oppressive in-laws out there without the complication of control of jatha rehit . 

A Gursikh is a Gursikh there is very little difference in rehit , maybe some do more i their nitnem others less  but we are told by Guru ji to always look to increase , the jatha amrit sanchar is just the launchpad  the swim is ahead of us .

The reasons for taking amrit would need to identified and confronted (for both sexes), even if that means facing up to a few uncomfortable truths that have never, or rarely, been discussed. Because looking around at the state of the panth today in the West (beyond the dazzle of the surface), do you not wonder about certain individuals, "What is it about Sikhi that drew YOU to take amrit, you poor excuse for a human being?" We could flap our gums and pay lip service whilst ignoring the hathi in the room, or we could get serious. 

Guest Jacfsing2
6 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I'd be very interested, from a statistical standpoint, the spread of female Gursikhs across the various jathe; or not as the case may be. I think a lot could be gained from identifying which jatha attracts the highest numbers of female Sikhs. From there you could ascertain why that is, and certain groups could take steps to correct a potential imbalance. Anecdotally i have an idea which jatha has the highest numbers of female Gursikhs, but it's just a hunch.

However, that would only work if the female takes amrit before marriage. I might be way off target here, but I'm assuming a female is expected to follow the same rehat as her husband, so i suppose she has less choice in her adherence to a certain jatha's rehat, than a female who decides not to wait to see which jatha her husband belongs to.

Personally I'd not be too interested in a Jatha-fanatic to be spreading Gurmat, especially since each Jatha has it's Pakhand. We all know the Jatha which inspires the most women to take Amrit from before marriage, (not going to directly name it as some Jatha-fanatic would be complaining about it), and even that Jatha has it's personal problems. Keeping Rehat and taking Amrit are both wonderful things; however, if your not willing to comprimise on controversial issues especially when your side and the other Sikh persons views are radically different don't mention it, and don't try going to a Rishta if you view it important to you. Also we all hopefully remember that girl that married the Mahapurukh and just starting complaing that he wasn't wordly enough.

8 hours ago, Khalistanisinghni said:

1. Because Amritdhari Singhs are going for non-amritdhari Women, ignoring and rejecting those with facial hair/unibrows. - so the whole idea of body hair kicks in.

This is interesting because i know of a few Amritdhari Singhs who married non-amritdhari women and 2 of them have take Amrit a few years after they got married (one of the ladies even ties a dastaar) but their husband's still drop hint's about removing any excess hair and "shaping them eyebrows", double standards a-plenty from the men.

It take's a strong man, both in mentality and spirituality to accept his wife if she has taken amrit and her appearance doesn't "comply" with the norms of society but it takes an even stronger woman to take amrit reject the norms of society and follow Guru sahib.

The crux of this particular issue is in the context of hair.

Hair all over the body is seen as a masculine trait. Therefore, it is seen as acceptable for an Amritdhari male. 

However, in society hair outside the head area is not seen as a feminine trait.

The problem is Amritdharis are seen as somehow above being human and are enhanced spiritual beings. They are still humans and humans are going to human.

Several years of Amritdhari ness may not be enough over-ride thousands of years of hardwired biology.

Guest Jacfsing2
2 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Hair all over the body is seen as a masculine trait. Therefore, it is seen as acceptable for an Amritdhari male. 

The problem is Amritdharis are seen as somehow above being human and are enhanced spiritual beings. They are still humans and humans are going to human.

Several years of Amritdhari ness may not be enough over-ride thousands of years of hardwired biology.

28 minutes ago, kcmidlands said:

This is interesting because i know of a few Amritdhari Singhs who married non-amritdhari women and 2 of them have take Amrit a few years after they got married (one of the ladies even ties a dastaar) but their husband's still drop hint's about removing any excess hair and "shaping them eyebrows", double standards a-plenty from the men.

It take's a strong man, both in mentality and spirituality to accept his wife if she has taken amrit and her appearance doesn't "comply" with the norms of society but it takes an even stronger woman to take amrit reject the norms of society and follow Guru sahib.

Kesh is something that's a beautiful thing for men and women. But forget Kesh, if there isn't respect in a marriage then what is there going to be? 

38 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

which society mate ? MUslim maybe but then again even the men do full Hijamit including the kacchera region. roman, greek, christian, jewish , hindu but all these are about doing things to please the men and the fact that women are supposed to be sexually available always shows that it is kaam based .

AMritdharis are not to do the four Hs hookah, Halal, Haram and Hijamat...  this is from the get go ... so no not in Sikh culture. 

2 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

which society mate ? MUslim maybe but then again even the men do full Hijamit including the kacchera region. roman, greek, christian, jewish , hindu but all these are about doing things to please the men and the fact that women are supposed to be sexually available always shows that it is kaam based .

AMritdharis are not to do the four Hs hookah, Halal, Haram and Hijamat...  this is from the get go ... so no not in Sikh culture. 

I am generalising here. 

Are Sikhs a culture?

The need for the modern day woman to go out and work is a great factor which determines why our girls are not ready to commit to being amritdhari. Most would say - even the Amritdhari would say one thing - we remember God from the depth of our heart and we are not too concerned about outward experience. 

In the olden days, when looks did not matter as much - a little facial hair or leg or arm hair would not make anyone self conscious. Therefore when our girls have to mingle with others who keep their skins looking clean and hairless - they get the inferiority complex. So girls would not like to commit the paap of taking amrit only to break it - as it is called - later. 

People had Amrit and they supported it in the olden days when they were actually faced with the prospect of extinction. If the Sikhs had not expanded and multiplied by the one son which the Hindus gave to become Sikh, then Sikhi would not survived up to today. It almost seems like there is no need for physical wars which was a necessity in the earlier times. 

Sikhi has to be redifined and preached as a saviour of our souls. Naam jap comes first. Kesha dhari Sikhs giving bad or rude words to ones to cut their hair - is not a solution. The proper understanding of the basics of our religion is the one which is going to save our religion.

3 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Personally I'd not be too interested in a Jatha-fanatic to be spreading Gurmat, especially since each Jatha has it's Pakhand. We all know the Jatha which inspires the most women to take Amrit from before marriage, (not going to directly name it as some Jatha-fanatic would be complaining about it), and even that Jatha has it's personal problems. Keeping Rehat and taking Amrit are both wonderful things; however, if your not willing to comprimise on controversial issues especially when your side and the other Sikh persons views are radically different don't mention it, and don't try going to a Rishta if you view it important to you. Also we all hopefully remember that girl that married the Mahapurukh and just starting complaing that he wasn't wordly enough.

Totally agree.

Yet jatha adherence and fervour for certain personalities seems to be getting out of hand. I'm not sure you're referring to the same jatha I'm alluding to - let's not begin a guessing game - but it is a problem which, amazingly, isn't considered to be a big deal. Oh but it will be a huge deal one day.