genie

Could you name 10 Sikhs in the west that did something for Sikhi?

27 posts in this topic

I saw an article recently where they were listing the great achievements that some women of Sikh origin had made. I thought to myself great these women achieved something for themselves on a personal self development level. But what really got me thinking was where is the list of men or women in the west who done anything great in the service of the Sikh community or furtherment of Sikhi? I can give a list of Sikhs in India who done amazing things for Sikhi over the centuries but not many in the west and of those who did the majority would be men.

People like sardar fauja singh (oldest sikh athlete inspired many Sikhs to take up running), ravi singh of khalsa aid (helping Sikhs in India), jugraj singh of basics of Sikhi (parchar spreading Sikhi to non-sikhs and fundraising for Sikh causes), various founders of gurdwara's who established them.

Any outstanding and inspirational Sikh women in the west done anything for Sikhi or the sikh community...... any come to mind? nope cant think of any...

can anyone come up with any names?

Bibi Sukhmani Kaur  Basics of sikhi - much promotion of Gurmukhi  regularly does kiddie Sangat in West London

the bibian who are doing parchaar now having gone through the parchaarik school  and returned home.

Bibi Sukhwinder Kaur from SOPW /sikh relief  

on fitness/self confidence  front perhaps Fitness Kaur 

since the title was SIkhs not specific to Gender then

Bhai Manmohan SIngh SAS - protecting our panth's future

Bhai Rama Singh ji inspired so many british sikhs

Bhai Baljit SIngh/ BHai Jugraj Singh - same thoughts of spreading the word

Edited by jkvlondon

Ravinder Singh - Khalsa Aid

All the men and women doing seva for homeless from Midland Langar Seva Society, SWAT team, etc 

Langar Seva teams across the world, there's one in Los Angeles set up by I can't remember name. Also Australia. 

Giani Sukha Singh - Sikh helpline

Jugraj Singh, Jagmeet Singh, Baljit Singh and all parchariks- Basics of Sikhi. (already mentioned)

Kulwant Singh Dhaliwal - Roko Cancer

Balbir Singh Bains - SOPW 

Baba Fauja Singh (already mentioned)

Bhai Mohan Singh - Sikh Awareness Society (already mentioned)

Parmi Dheensa - IncludeMeToo

Bhai Sukhjeevan Singh and parchariks of Sikhi 2 Inspire 

Bhai Sukha Singh - Katha vachak

Kulwant Singh Dhesi, Tarsem Singh Deol - Sikhligar Project 

Unique Home for Girls - UK contacts 

Nirvair Khalsa Jatha

And many more Kirtanis UK born.

Baba Amar Singh education seva for children in India 

MySimran.info parchariks Canada & USA 

That's all I can think of for now. 

Remembered another one :

Sikh Youth UK - males and females for help with alcohol and drugs use and bullying issues. 

British Sikh Doctors  - health awareness within the community. 

Edited by simran345
2 people like this

6 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Bibi Sukhmani Kaur  Basics of sikhi - much promotion of Gurmukhi  regularly does kiddie Sangat in West London

the bibian who are doing parchaar now having gone through the parchaarik school  and returned home.

Bibi Sukhwinder Kaur from SOPW /sikh relief  

on fitness/self confidence  front perhaps Fitness Kaur 

since the title was SIkhs not specific to Gender then

Bhai Manmohan SIngh SAS - protecting our panth's future

Bhai Rama Singh ji inspired so many british sikhs

Bhai Baljit SIngh/ BHai Jugraj Singh - same thoughts of spreading the word

For me Sukhmani Kaur  Basics of sikhi - Is probably the only female one that stands out for her sewa to sangat and sikhi.

The other Sikh women mentioned by simran are not very well known for their work yet.

36 minutes ago, genie said:

For me Sukhmani Kaur  Basics of sikhi - Is probably the only female one that stands out for her sewa to sangat and sikhi.

The other Sikh women mentioned by simran are not very well known for their work yet.

That's probably because they aren't in the media as much. But there are others that simply don't come in the limelight to spread Sikhi awareness or that do seva, whether it's parchar, health related, humanity seva or even as a Sikh doing something positive for the community. 

Remember there's also USA, Canada, Australia, etc, other countries, where Sikhs have contributed to bring Sikhi awareness, but just because they're not in the media, doesn't mean they are any less than those that are. They are doing more than what I could ever do. 

If they weren't well known, then how do I know about them? I'm hardly best friends with them. So they must have achieved something, if somebody like me has no communication with them. But I guess it all depends on whose work one wants to appreciate and whose they don't. 

Edited by simran345

There are a few writers/poets/poetess on the internet, including harman kaur, fiverriverflow, jusmun. (Instagram mainly)

Bibi pushpinder kaur usa - she was a teacher then principal then administrater for english schools so she used her knowledge and experience in education to create PSL (panjabi as a second lannguage) curriculum- books, syllabus, lesson plans. Her work isused in schools throughout CA 

Also women already have double duties- raise the family (cook, clean, kids) as well as doing jobs. And panjabis men dont help out with any chores, cooking or the kids. If women start asking for any gender equality, men start complaining about all the things wrong with women. As can be seen on this forum many times. Thats why women arent as out there

On 15/03/2017 at 3:43 PM, Khalistanisinghni said:

There are a few writers/poets/poetess on the internet, including harman kaur, fiverriverflow, jusmun. (Instagram mainly)

Dont think they really count I dont see them promoting Sikhi or doing things for Sikh community they (like harman kaur) more about personal development and promoting non-sikh ideologies like feminism. So don't qualify unless we see evidence to the contrary.

On 16/03/2017 at 0:39 AM, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Bibi pushpinder kaur usa - she was a teacher then principal then administrater for english schools so she used her knowledge and experience in education to create PSL (panjabi as a second lannguage) curriculum- books, syllabus, lesson plans. Her work isused in schools throughout CA

Not sure she qualifys here she probably in the category of personal development/ promoting non-sikh ideologies.

Btw another inspirational Sikh women I just remembered are the famous singh twins who create art that relate Sikh history in some of their pieces.

Casualty-of-War-A-Portrai-001.jpg

Edited by genie

10 hours ago, genie said:

Not sure she qualifys here she probably in the category of personal development/ promoting non-sikh ideologies.

I forgot to mention that her PSL books are used in panjabi schools on Sundays. Thats wat she did: used her experience and knowledge of education to create curriculum, syllabus, n books for panjabi schools

On 3/15/2017 at 11:43 PM, Khalistanisinghni said:

While I agree with you, they claim to be promoting sikhi in their own way. Speaking up for Khalistan/Punjab? (Though I personally don't look up to them)

On 16/03/2017 at 0:45 AM, Sukhvirk76 said:

Chardi kala jatha

They are associated members of 3HO.

Edited by GuestSingh

Just now, Sukhvirk76 said:

LOL really..! And what gives you the right to determine that.. 

These guys however they came to sikhi is irrelevant.. They have dedicated their lives to learning ie. Being a Sikh what makes you a Sikh and not them? Is this a joke? 

This is no joke. Please research their name if you require evidence or to educate yourself about their distorted ideas and practices of Sikhi. Also, I did not question their journey. What is only in doubt here is their right to this identity. What they have done false, treacherous and disgusting. I am not going to waste any more of my time writing about them or take the thread off-topic.

I think the single/lone parcharaaks e.g. Bhai Sukha Singh, Bhai Amardeep Singh etc. do a good job too.

Bro 

they openly preach a milgoba of philosophies preached to them from Yogi Bhajan  and attribute it to sikhi . Remember That Yogi ji openly declared that Guru Gobind SIngh ji was wrong and mistaken to give sikhi to Punjabis , that white people are more pure .

although counts soul body twice ...I did listen to the whole thing .

they go on to teach this :

so Bhai Bachittar SIngh ji who they obliquely refer to  gained his strength not through Gurbani or Guru ji di mehr but yoga poses . at 50:00 he starts explaining a mantra taken from Jaap Sahib he claims Yogi ji taught them , then explains that the gurbani will only take you so far (arrow thrown by hand) but with the MUDRA then it will reach further (arrow with a bow). I don't know about you that sounds like saying Gurbani is incomplete to save people i.e. beadbhi

Edited by jkvlondon
1 person likes this

Chardikala jatha are hazoori rages. Linking them with 3ho has got nothing to do with Sikhism. It's like linking me with the ragamuffin rastas that I used to hang out with.  So what you guys wanna call me a "ganja Sikh" ???

I can't believe how members can just rant the same thing and absolutely have no idea what yoga really is. shame on you!!

most importantly for me, I wouldn't have discovered what Sikhi was about until some 3ho goray caught my attention and opened my eyes. and if any of you guys think that my vision is distorted, then I respectfully challenge you to show me as per gurbani and nothing else. No videos, no hearsay, just the ultimate truth of gurbani.

15 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

do you know what the true qualification is to be hazoori raagi?

This is what the bare minimum you need to have to be able to do kirtan sewa at Harmandir sahib and other Gurdwarey. you need to have mastered all 31 raags in Guru ji and have memorised over 100 shabads  as you are not allowed to be reading off pothian and phones . Shudh uccharan is also a major issue for kirtaniyas.

I doubt seriously Anyone in yogi Bhajan's group who visited and performed in 1971 qualified  but the committee stretched the rules because the outfit were supported by Indira  and they were Goray ... Truth is most of them hadn't had amrit until they got to India and didn't know what it entailed or its significance but Yogi sold it to them . 

Ask any kirtaniya how many years it takes to achieve that level of mastery and they'll tell you many many years.

are you serious here??

You are saying that chardikala jatha are some Back door hazoori ragees ..shame on you again,

3 minutes ago, JUSTAJATT said:

Chardikala jatha are hazoori rages. Linking them with 3ho has got nothing to do with Sikhism. It's like linking me with the ragamuffin rastas that I used to hang out with.  So what you guys wanna call me a "ganja Sikh" ???

I can't believe how members like jkv can just rant the same thing and absolutely have no idea what yoga really is. shame on you!!

most importantly for me, I wouldn't have discovered what Sikhi was about until some 3ho goray caught my attention and opened my eyes. and if any of you guys think that my vision is distorted, then I respectfully challenge you to show me as per gurbani and nothing else. No videos, no hearsay, just the ultimate truth of gurbani.

I am not saying all 3HO are full of bad people but just that on the one hand being raagis and long term sikhs , the members of the jatha should know better than to say such disrespectful things towards Guru ji . I have no problem with their kirtan or pronounciation of bani , rehit but on that issue I have to say No that is not right. 

Those who are just learning i.e. at the start may take away that sikhi  is incomplete by itself from what they said and that is just wrong . Do yoga to strengthen your body or deepen your calm but don't diss Guru ji . Guru ji is app parmeshvar so one should not be so foolish to suggest that Yoga is what makes Gurbani better.

Yoga is union( union with Akal Purakh), Sikh bhagti is described as Raj Yoga because it is the uttam panth the highest path. Sewa and and simran are so powerful there are no words... but Guru ji has told us in Bani that bodily manipulations, austerities and the like will not get us to where we want to go , you have to have kirpa .

I watch the people and their comments  are linked mainly to the mantras i.e. Gurbani. Even my Brasilian BIL came to me and told me I have been learning your prayers in my yoga class can you explain what the translations are because I have a doubt. He had been taught Mool Mantar  , now he is not a very Godly person but he admitted he enjoyed naam japna, and the mool mantar. I say it's good that people are getting exposure to gurbani and then investigating further but respect and not putting Gurbani on a secondary level is important.

25 minutes ago, JUSTAJATT said:

No I am saying that one who has performed for Guru ji at Harmandir Sahib has criteria they are supposedly judged on to be named Hazoori .

The early group were not clearly and yet somehow history shows that allowances which amounted to lowering of standards was done for them. 

A Hazoori raagi would have deeper knowledge than those guys so I could understand if they said something silly in unjaan state but a hazoori raagi never. If they want to claim it they have to also Honour Guru ji above everything else , simply.

2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

No I am saying that one who has performed for Guru ji at Harmandir Sahib has criteria they are supposedly judged on to be named Hazoori .

The early group were not clearly and yet somehow history shows that allowances which amounted to lowering of standards was done for them. 

A Hazoori raagi would have deeper knowledge than those guys so I could understand if they said something silly in unjaan state but a hazoori raagi never. If they want to claim it they have to also Honour Guru ji above everything else , simply.

It seems that you are just convincing yourself with some reasons to hide your own inner weakness and insecurity. >>> to that say,>>Whatever it takes for you to keep your conscience clear!!!

I'm not going to waste my personal "UP" energies from recent morning nitnem, but all I can say is that I have learned to expose and confront my own weaknesses over the last few years. I'm getting better and better every day. Today I'm a better Sikh than yesterday and tomorrow morning, when I get up for nitnem, I want to be better than today. >>> So, I honestly have no desire to argue with your narrow minded arguments and your misinformed slating of yoga.

I'm lucky to have one or two high avastha gurmukh friends that have really helped straighten my dogtail(kuthay dee pooch) out.  One of them told me that I've got to make repeated efforts to improve, day by day and every day. Gurbani says that a dogtail can never be straightened which means you have to keep repeating and repeating the process every day. You straighten it out, but then it bends back again.   He said the key to working on my kuthay dee pooch is to first, stop CHASING the damned tail.   So,>>you know when you keep singing the same argument, time and time again about how bad flanna jatha is and how much beadbi this jatha does and that..>>>you gotta  stop all that>> cuz you are just singing the same song over again and again, like chasing the tail again and again. INSTEAD, you've gotta put energy into straightening the tail, because a short while later the damned thing bends back.

I hope you see what I'm saying. I don't mean no disrespect phenji but it's just that your understanding is misinformed and narrow minded because yoga is huge topic at all levels of perception.  Saying that, gurbani makes it clear that it's all a game of the mind, and whatever it takes for you to grab and control the mind to put it towards guru, then you should do it.   If Bhagat dhana could sit with a stone as centre, to put his mind on akaal purakh, then why can't us moorakhs put it on waheguru, using breath as centre???  >>well, we can. This is saas giraas and saas saas simran which are actually taken from Patanjali yoga and many references by Bhagat Kabir ji and Namdev are referencing raj/patanjali yoga. To understand that, i first had to understand why we had techniques like saas giraas and saas saas. This is how my real journey started and then the treasures that hide behind the veils, began to reveal themselves..  slowly and slowly, holleee hollee, one by one, the revelations came and lead me to take amrit. Therefore, I can never slate the gurmukh friends that helped guide me and all the varieties of Sikhs that inspired me. and Yes, a lot of chardikala jathas kirtan and many 3ho meditation videos were inspiring and are ingredients in the outcome of gurus blessing for me>>> which is probably why I get a little offended when people start slating any jatha as a whole.

Again, no offence and I'm not singling you out cuz you are quite intelligent and have very respectable views imo. I have learned and taken a lot of giaan from some of your posts. Us learning Sikhs have to continue this process of learning, re-learning and correcting ourselves with the help of others until our last breaths at anth-kaal. So lets make some effort for tomorrows amrit vela to keep increasing in power than todays.

Edited by JUSTAJATT

5 minutes ago, JUSTAJATT said:

It seems that you are just convincing yourself with some reasons to hide your own inner weakness and insecurity. >>> to that say,>>Whatever it takes for you to keep your conscience clear!!!

I'm not going to waste my personal "UP" energies from recent morning nitnem, but all I can say is that I have learned to expose and confront my own weaknesses over the last few years. I'm getting better and better every day. Today I'm a better Sikh than yesterday and tomorrow morning, when I get up for nitnem, I want to be better than today. >>> So, I honestly have no desire to argue with your narrow minded arguments and your misinformed slating of yoga.

I'm lucky to have one or two high avastha gurmukh friends that have really helped straighten my dogtail(kuthay dee pooch) out.  One of them told me that I've got to make repeated efforts to improve, day by day and every day. Gurbani says that a dogtail can never be straightened which means you have to keep repeating and repeating the process every day. You straighten it out, but then it bends back again.   He said the key to working on my kuthay dee pooch is to first, stop CHASING the damned tail.   So,>>you know when you keep singing the same argument, time and time again about how bad flanna jatha is and how much beadbi this jatha does and that..>>>you gotta  stop all that>> cuz you are just singing the same song over again and again, like chasing the tail again and again. INSTEAD, you've gotta put energy into straightening the tail, because a short while later the damned thing bends back.

I hope you see what I'm saying. I don't mean no disrespect phenji but it's just that your understanding is misinformed and narrow minded because yoga is huge topic at all levels of perception.  Saying that, gurbani makes it clear that it's all a game of the mind, and whatever it takes for you to grab and control the mind to put it towards guru, then you should do it.   If Bhagat dhana could sit with a stone as centre, to put his mind on akaal purakh, then why can't us moorakhs put it on waheguru, using breath as centre???  >>well, we can. This is saas giraas and saas saas simran which are actually taken from Patanjali yoga and many references by Bhagat Kabir ji and Namdev are referencing raj/patanjali yoga. To understand that, i first had to understand why we had techniques like saas giraas and saas saas. This is how my real journey started and then the treasures that hide behind the veils, began to reveal themselves..  slowly and slowly, holleee hollee, one by one, the revelations came and lead me to take amrit. Therefore, I can never slate the gurmukh friends that helped guide me and all the varieties of Sikhs that inspired me. and Yes, a lot of chardikala jathas kirtan and many 3ho meditation videos were inspiring and are ingredients in the outcome of gurus blessings for me>>> which is probably why I get a little offended when people start slating any jatha as a whole.

look I didn't slate the chardikala jatha as a whole even just gave an example where they should have been a bit deeper thinking about the implications of what they said . In the end we all strive for that true yoga but the path is individual , Gurbani is enough in itself to open and transform one's inner life but I agree that some may need the support to their journey. Saas Giraas is there to imbed naam into our subconcious mind so it becomes constant unthought simran  di taar running through our lives. Bhagat Dhanna's innocent love for 'Thakur' Akal Purakh was rewarded , that means our love should be full flow and innocent /niskaam . You are lucky that you had such blessings of inspiring sangat but the hand that gave is the hand you now hold , stay in chardikala . For me it is hard to hear Guru ji's status being pushed down or eliminated because of his apaar kirpa in my life , through my darkest days.  For me all gursikhs are my family don't care for labels or politics.

Justajatt, believe there will be a spiritual stage in your life where you will understand the complexity of such issues. As you stated that you are new into this, so it will take time for you to learn thru experience. Buckle up as it's a long journey- some come and go as their karma took them off track. Very few stay on the sikhi path. As gurbani says the path to walk on is sharp edge of kirpan which is thinner than human hair.

have patience brother!