Could you name 10 Sikhs in the west that did something for Sikhi?

genie

I saw an article recently where they were listing the great achievements that some women of Sikh origin had made. I thought to myself great these women achieved something for themselves on a personal self development level. But what really got me thinking was where is the list of men or women in the west who done anything great in the service of the Sikh community or furtherment of Sikhi? I can give a list of Sikhs in India who done amazing things for Sikhi over the centuries but not many in the west and of those who did the majority would be men.

People like sardar fauja singh (oldest sikh athlete inspired many Sikhs to take up running), ravi singh of khalsa aid (helping Sikhs in India), jugraj singh of basics of Sikhi (parchar spreading Sikhi to non-sikhs and fundraising for Sikh causes), various founders of gurdwara's who established them.

Any outstanding and inspirational Sikh women in the west done anything for Sikhi or the sikh community...... any come to mind? nope cant think of any...

can anyone come up with any names?

Bibi Sukhmani Kaur  Basics of sikhi - much promotion of Gurmukhi  regularly does kiddie Sangat in West London

the bibian who are doing parchaar now having gone through the parchaarik school  and returned home.

Bibi Sukhwinder Kaur from SOPW /sikh relief  

on fitness/self confidence  front perhaps Fitness Kaur 

since the title was SIkhs not specific to Gender then

Bhai Manmohan SIngh SAS - protecting our panth's future

Bhai Rama Singh ji inspired so many british sikhs

Bhai Baljit SIngh/ BHai Jugraj Singh - same thoughts of spreading the word

Ravinder Singh - Khalsa Aid

All the men and women doing seva for homeless from Midland Langar Seva Society, SWAT team, etc 

Langar Seva teams across the world, there's one in Los Angeles set up by I can't remember name. Also Australia. 

Giani Sukha Singh - Sikh helpline

Jugraj Singh, Jagmeet Singh, Baljit Singh and all parchariks- Basics of Sikhi. (already mentioned)

Kulwant Singh Dhaliwal - Roko Cancer

Balbir Singh Bains - SOPW 

Baba Fauja Singh (already mentioned)

Bhai Mohan Singh - Sikh Awareness Society (already mentioned)

Parmi Dheensa - IncludeMeToo

Bhai Sukhjeevan Singh and parchariks of Sikhi 2 Inspire 

Bhai Sukha Singh - Katha vachak

Kulwant Singh Dhesi, Tarsem Singh Deol - Sikhligar Project 

Unique Home for Girls - UK contacts 

Nirvair Khalsa Jatha

And many more Kirtanis UK born.

Baba Amar Singh education seva for children in India 

MySimran.info parchariks Canada & USA 

That's all I can think of for now. 

Remembered another one :

Sikh Youth UK - males and females for help with alcohol and drugs use and bullying issues. 

British Sikh Doctors  - health awareness within the community. 

6 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Bibi Sukhmani Kaur  Basics of sikhi - much promotion of Gurmukhi  regularly does kiddie Sangat in West London

the bibian who are doing parchaar now having gone through the parchaarik school  and returned home.

Bibi Sukhwinder Kaur from SOPW /sikh relief  

on fitness/self confidence  front perhaps Fitness Kaur 

since the title was SIkhs not specific to Gender then

Bhai Manmohan SIngh SAS - protecting our panth's future

Bhai Rama Singh ji inspired so many british sikhs

Bhai Baljit SIngh/ BHai Jugraj Singh - same thoughts of spreading the word

For me Sukhmani Kaur  Basics of sikhi - Is probably the only female one that stands out for her sewa to sangat and sikhi.

The other Sikh women mentioned by simran are not very well known for their work yet.

36 minutes ago, genie said:

For me Sukhmani Kaur  Basics of sikhi - Is probably the only female one that stands out for her sewa to sangat and sikhi.

The other Sikh women mentioned by simran are not very well known for their work yet.

That's probably because they aren't in the media as much. But there are others that simply don't come in the limelight to spread Sikhi awareness or that do seva, whether it's parchar, health related, humanity seva or even as a Sikh doing something positive for the community. 

Remember there's also USA, Canada, Australia, etc, other countries, where Sikhs have contributed to bring Sikhi awareness, but just because they're not in the media, doesn't mean they are any less than those that are. They are doing more than what I could ever do. 

If they weren't well known, then how do I know about them? I'm hardly best friends with them. So they must have achieved something, if somebody like me has no communication with them. But I guess it all depends on whose work one wants to appreciate and whose they don't. 

Bibi pushpinder kaur usa - she was a teacher then principal then administrater for english schools so she used her knowledge and experience in education to create PSL (panjabi as a second lannguage) curriculum- books, syllabus, lesson plans. Her work isused in schools throughout CA 

Also women already have double duties- raise the family (cook, clean, kids) as well as doing jobs. And panjabis men dont help out with any chores, cooking or the kids. If women start asking for any gender equality, men start complaining about all the things wrong with women. As can be seen on this forum many times. Thats why women arent as out there

On 15/03/2017 at 3:43 PM, Khalistanisinghni said:

There are a few writers/poets/poetess on the internet, including harman kaur, fiverriverflow, jusmun. (Instagram mainly)

Dont think they really count I dont see them promoting Sikhi or doing things for Sikh community they (like harman kaur) more about personal development and promoting non-sikh ideologies like feminism. So don't qualify unless we see evidence to the contrary.

On 16/03/2017 at 0:39 AM, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Bibi pushpinder kaur usa - she was a teacher then principal then administrater for english schools so she used her knowledge and experience in education to create PSL (panjabi as a second lannguage) curriculum- books, syllabus, lesson plans. Her work isused in schools throughout CA

Not sure she qualifys here she probably in the category of personal development/ promoting non-sikh ideologies.

Btw another inspirational Sikh women I just remembered are the famous singh twins who create art that relate Sikh history in some of their pieces.

Casualty-of-War-A-Portrai-001.jpg