Emotional journey of an ex-army Black American into Sikhi

8 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

I didn't like him insulting our people, (as in Subcontinentals), he seemed a bit racist if you asked me because of him complaining that they didn't completely gravel to him at the Gurdwara? What was he seriously about? But Vaheguru kirpa on him, he seems like a nice guy with a sincere heart, it's good that Guru Sahib granted him grace; hopefully Vaheguru blesses the entire a world with Sikhi. Genuinely I think he's a good guy, (not one of them stereotypical Khalas), but he's got to be quite about the whole discrimination at the Gurdwara thing, other than that he's reasonable.

imo he had every right to complain. Again I don't know the full story, only what he shared but if its exactly accurate then yes they were really rude to him. We need to be welcoming of newcomers even if they are just visiting. I attended a sermon done in a Christian church (observed, didn't recite any hymns or stand etc, nor did I take any pledges, just really listened) and the people there were really friendly and warm. We need to mimic the same thing as its exactly how our Guru's court is and should be.

Guest Jacfsing2
4 minutes ago, Kira said:

imo he had every right to complain. Again I don't know the full story, only what he shared but if its exactly accurate then yes they were really rude to him. We need to be welcoming of newcomers even if they are just visiting. I attended a sermon done in a Christian church (observed, didn't recite any hymns or stand etc, nor did I take any pledges, just really listened) and the people there were really friendly and warm. We need to mimic the same thing as its exactly how our Guru's court is and should be.

Some people just don't talk much, (one of those people is me), it's not being rude, but for me I would do my best not to give anyone special treatment during the little bit I do Seva. (Some Sikhs could be shy for all we know.) The best Sikhs from what I see don't seem to talk way too much or get involved too much overtly in politics. 

On 13/03/2017 at 9:27 PM, genie said:

I noticed alot of haters which include punjabi Christians. black Christians, south asian muslims and off course punjabi hindu's really hate it when blacks or whites convert to sikhi. Alot of these scumbags always leave negative comments on these kinda videos out of pure jealously and hatred for non-punjabis/non-indians embracing Sikhi.

Something I've noticed over the years when it comes to non-Sikh reactions to issues that affect us and that we have every right to highlight, is how there's an insidious desire to drown out our voice. It's a very dismissive attitude, and one that suggests we shouldn't speak up for ourselves. It happens quite regularly in the West, and i do wonder how that's come about. 

27 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Some people just don't talk much, (one of those people is me), it's not being rude, but for me I would do my best not to give anyone special treatment during the little bit I do Seva. (Some Sikhs could be shy for all we know.) The best Sikhs from what I see don't seem to talk way too much or get involved too much overtly in politics. 

if he watch his full interview its alot more than that. They spoke to his wife just fine but ignored him, i.e reply to anything the wife asked but never to him. If he asked something the people would ignore him, but if his wife asked they'd talk just fine.

Guest GuestSingh
4 hours ago, Kira said:

The line I posted is basic Punjabi. If you have trouble understanding that then please seek help with learning Punjabi. The Shabad is also from Japji Sahib, infact its the second pauri of Gurbani. So let me get this straight, you've come on here. Attacked just the newly converted Sikh because of his skin but also other members but you, yourself haven't even bothered reading the first 8 angs of your own Shabad Guru, you can't even understand basic Punjabi. But the bad guy here is someone who's had Gurbani resonate with them? Right sure I guess I'll sit down and break it up for you since its apparent you enjoy talking out of your backside.

How do you know whether I can or cannot understand that shabad or 'basic' Panjabi? I just asked you for a translation.

ਬੈਫਦੂਫ. ਮੈ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਆਊਂਦੀ ਹੈ. ਸਝਦਾ ? ਤੁ ਬਹੁਤ ਬਕਵਾਸ ਬੋਲਦਾ ਹੈ.

How silly do you feel now, kid?

You don't even know that Guru is a title and not a name, the only time Guru is used in a name is with the conjunction of other words for example Gursevak (servant of the Guru).

Are you sure about that?

http://www.3ho-kundalini-yoga.eu/rus/dejatelnost/festival-iogi-v-evrope/programma-festivalja/seminary-2012/guru-shabad-singh-de-santis-rome-italy/

http://www.spiritvoyage.com/artists/Guru-Shabad-Singh-Khalsa.aspx

http://www.nanakdevsingh.com/

I am sure there are more but these are what I have so far encountered. White people masquerading as Sikhs are comedy.

Yes 'Tegh Bahadur' can mean 'might of the sword' and 'Guru' is a title. It is actually compound word and roughly translates as 'one who brings lightness from darkness'. In other words, an enlightener or wise person or a teacher, just like all ten blessed messengers of Waheguru.

Now you have appear to shown yourself up twice in as many posts yet you have the cheek to say I enjoy talking rubbish. I don't know what to say but either way, that is some achievement. Shabash. Bahut acha.

So I guess we should all stop taking Amrit? How many Punjabis break Rehit? Why are you applying one standard to them and another to this man? its highly amusing how you know nothing about this guy but you'll hate on him because he's black. If it had been a Punjabi dude, you'd sit there and congratulate him, but because of his skin colour you can't even do that.

Ih ki majak hai?

I do not think you are very good at reading. If you were then you would have already seen the following:

21 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

To make it clear to you and others, I don't mind non-Punjabis practicing Sikhi so as long as they do so with sincerity. I wouldn't be bothered if I saw an African or Asian practicing it if they were searching for Waheguru and finding peace.

On 16/03/2017 at 1:19 AM, GuestSingh said:

Not all Punjabis are Sikhs and not all Sikhs are Sikhs.

Depends on the region of Gurbani picked. I can translate and discuss Shabads from Guru Sahib providing they don't contain Bhagat Banis as some of them are a bit harder for me to translate but yes I could I like to think as when I do read Gurbani (currently doing Sehaj Path) I can understand the basic linguistics behind it and going by and applying my own knowledge/level and thought provide a discussion on the basis of what was uttered.

Where are the shabads? I cannot see them.

As stated above, I do not think you are very good at reading. I asked you to post, translate and discuss shabads referencing Kaljug. Clearly you could not do this. Never mind.

I have nothing more to say to you.

3 hours ago, Kira said:

if he watch his full interview its alot more than that. They spoke to his wife just fine but ignored him, i.e reply to anything the wife asked but never to him. If he asked something the people would ignore him, but if his wife asked they'd talk just fine.

I don't know if they talked fine to her judging by the slurs and open hostility she received , but yes they talked to her .

2 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

How do you know whether I can or cannot understand that shabad or 'basic' Panjabi? I just asked you for a translation.

ਬੈਫਦੂਫ. ਮੈ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਆਊਂਦੀ ਹੈ. ਸਝਦਾ ? ਤੁ ਬਹੁਤ ਬਕਵਾਸ ਬੋਲਦਾ ਹੈ.

I don't feel silly at all since all because you said it yourself you couldn't understand the shabad and asked for a translation. So either you don't know Punjabi or you're extremely dim.  That Shabad is one of the easiest to translate, rather than accept that you were wrong you've decided to act like a smart <banned word filter activated>. Cute. A racist with a sense of humour.

Yes 'Tegh Bahadur' can mean 'might of the sword' and 'Guru' is a title. It is actually compound word and roughly translates as 'one who brings lightness from darkness'. In other words, an enlightener or wise person or a teacher, just like all ten blessed messengers of Waheguru.

Now you have appear to shown yourself up twice in as many posts yet you have the cheek to say I enjoy talking rubbish. I don't know what to say but either way, that is some achievement. Shabash. Bahut acha.

e. No they weren't messengers, They were Akaal Purkh's light, They were God themselves. Messengers are completely different. 

Congratulations though, you know what the correct English altered definition of a Guru is. Now please enlighten us on what the meaning of Guru is from Gurbani. 

Ih ki majak hai?

I do not think you are very good at reading. If you were then you would have already seen the following:

You had a go at the guy because he's black, no ifs or buts. Had it been a Punjabi guy you'd be sending him your congratulations and begging to lick his proverbial feet.

So let me get this straight. You hate white people masquerading as Sikhs but when your own "apni" do it, its fine, in fact your so called "apni" probably outnumber them. You decide to target this guy because of his race purely because of your own preconceived notions.  To try and refute my point (which once again you failed to do as this person isn't even affiliated with 3HO and if you bothered listening to his interview, I'm sure the concept of listening to someone other than your own ego is new to you, you'd know this guy did his own research and isn't affiliated with the organisation) about SIKHS keeping this name you post stuff from 3H0 and what some random Shiv yogi? I wonder if you knew that the name Singh isn't even unique to Sikhism, it was a very common surname before Guru Sahib gave it to Sikhs. 

3HO aren't even accepted by the mainstream Sikh populous, it's well known through a quick google search they are pariahs and most people don't accept their cancerous strain of whatever the hell they preach is. 

Sikhs don't own a copyright on any of those names, They've existed since well before Sikhism was established. Now then, please show me how this new convert is associated with any of these organisations.

Where are the shabads? I cannot see them.

As stated above, I do not think you are very good at reading. I asked you to post, translate and discuss shabads referencing Kaljug. Clearly you could not do this. Never mind.

There is entire angs on that topic, doing a search brought up 115 of them (based on word search alone), factor in other things like indirect mentions and you're looking well into the hundreds in terms of angs. If you honestly expect me to sit here and translate multiple angs because somehow you feel that trying to learn Gurbani yourself is a chore, yeah nice try. So far you've shown everyone here you're nothing more than a hypocrite who's crying about the very things he can't follow.  You couldn't even translate basic words from Punjabi that were in Gurbani, Yet suddenly other people must learn 4 languages to be even considered a Sikh in your own eyes,before Gurbani is allowed to make sense to them. You mocked people because of how Gurbani touched them (again if u did your own research you'd know there's a nice science explanation and a whole point of raags) and clearly consider them liars. I should be saying Well Done to you, way to show people that you know next to nothing about your own religion!

So once again, watch his interview and point me where you think he's behaving unsikh-like. This much is apparent you didn't even bother watching that and just jumped on a hate train. Good day to you, its apparent to anyone here you came on here purely to hate on someone based on stuff you decided was true without even looking at his interview. Further more you clearly know next to nothing about your own faith (one you zealously defend) and just enjoy being a total hypocrite about your own points. I suggest going back to the basics, learning/reading/reciting Japji sahib and moving on from there. That should illuminate many of your incredibly stupid opinions about other people you don't know and also about the faith you try to defend.  Being a total Hypocrite isn't good for anyone's soul.

Guest GuestSingh
11 hours ago, Sukhvirk76 said:

Can you please define what 'black hipster' means.. Also you say 'another' suggesting a plethora of 'black hipster' taking amrit.. I haven't seen them.. Please share how you formed this opinion.

I define it as someone who follows or adopts something outside mainstream norms just to be different or look 'mysterious/cool'.

I don't know if they all take Amrit but I believe they think Sikhi is a fashion and confuse Punjabi and Western culture with Sikh culture.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk6OyQb-di2QHTa7WeWBjFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1xqh5StJKY

However there was one who took Amrit and talking nonsense but I cannot find it on YouTube. I will try to look again and post if found.

The same applies to Goreh/white hipsters. They are easy to find on YouTube, online or on other Sikh forums.

So in this paragraph you have contradicted yourself.. Whilst you recognize or allude to the notion that no one can ever no the meaning of every shabad you seem to suggest that a black person should be held to a greater standard? 

Not at all.

My point was just that many 'Sikhs', including Punjabi's, can recall a shabad but provide only a generic or widely accepted translation. We should be careful of such translations as each word will have its own definition according to each person and may contain some bias to suit an agenda e.g. changing a definition and using a shabad as a weapon.

May then I ask to explain or rather define just one shabad. The most well-known of all 'ੴ' '' 

If you can provide a definition or actually a translation I will say no more.

Ik Oankar means one God, one creator, the 'doer' (kar) of everything in this world, even from each single atom. I am aware of its importance as it begins both the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji as well as the Mool Mantar of Guru Nanak Dev ji.

There are many 'Punjabi hipsters' these days who just by the fact they come from a 'Sikh background' feel they need to be defenders of the faith, holier than though.. 

If I'm honest your obvious  provocations suggest their's something not quite genuine in your motivation to post on here

My intention was just to highlight a bit of darkness in which Sikhi is in now. If people are genuine and respectful then there is not much to argue about is there?

What you say about 'Punjabi hipsters' today is true. Not all are Sikh, as I have already mentioned more than once to certain posters, but this is something that is not going to change as Sikhi was created in the Punjab. I am not saying this means they are given the right to call themselves Sikh but as the world's fifth largest religion, it is bound to be a part of Punjabi identity. Some may be sincere, others just take pride and pick and choose what they wish to practice so they have the best of both worlds e.g. meat-eating mona Sikhs.