Emotional journey of an ex-army Black American into Sikhi

Guest GuestSingh

Another Black hipster adopting Sikhi because he has no culture of his own? It seems to be a recent trend with Kaleh and Goreh in the US. A lot of outsiders are jumping on it as if it is in fashion. My question is why?

Many seem to say the same thing i.e. 'I heard Prayer/Kirtan and started crying' or 'I could not bear to turn away from my Guru, heart aches, cries etc...'. OK. Well, how can you do that when you do not have a Sikh background and do not understand the meaning of each shabad? They are not translated to English in Gurdware and it can up to a lifetime for the purest and devout of Sikhs to comprehend such wisdom, unless you happen to be fluent in around a dozen Asian languages. The whole thing looks to be somewhat scripted to me.

I understand they are searching for something, inner-peace, and that is fair enough as everyone is on a 'journey' but why talk in cliches? Who are you trying to impress? Are you being paid?

Basics of Sikhi, are you trying to convert outsiders through 'camps'? Leave that to the Muslims and Christians. A lot of parchaaraks today seem to be treating Sikhi as salesmanship. Have they forgot the concept of Parchaar? Punjabis do not need to appease the Goreh/West by forcing Sikhi on others. If they want to know, they can use the internet, libraries etc. Travel and living costs from donations to fund such trips could be used for important causes. Do not put religion before humanity. I would be interested to know the ratio of such balances within Sikh educational charities.

To finish on the OP, what I also do not understand and what really annoys me is why outsiders use the names of the Gurus i.e. 'Tegh' or the Chaar Sahibzaade etc. It displays pretentiousness and ego as well as a clear lack of respect and understanding of their legacy.

The name of a person can you tell you a lot about them. In the case with these individuals, they just think it is 'cool'. Who are these nobodies compared to our Gurus and great Gursikhs?

I am not trying to attack anyone. I am just sad about the state of Sikhi today.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru ji Ki Fateh.

28 minutes ago, GuestSingh said:

Another Black hipster adopting Sikhi because he has no culture of his own? It seems to be a recent trend with Kaleh and Goreh in the US. A lot of outsiders are jumping on it as if it is in fashion. My question is why?

Many seem to say the same thing i.e. 'I heard Prayer/Kirtan and started crying' or 'I could not bear to turn away from my Guru, heart aches, cries etc...'. OK. Well, how can you do that when you do not have a Sikh background and do not understand the meaning of each shabad? They are not translated to English in Gurdware and it can up to a lifetime for the purest and devout of Sikhs to comprehend such wisdom, unless you happen to be fluent in around a dozen Asian languages. The whole thing looks to be somewhat scripted to me.

I understand they are searching for something, inner-peace, and that is fair enough as everyone is on a 'journey' but why talk in cliches? Who are you trying to impress? Are you being paid?

Basics of Sikhi, are you trying to convert outsiders through 'camps'? Leave that to the Muslims and Christians. A lot of parchaaraks today seem to be treating Sikhi as salesmanship. Have they forgot the concept of Parchaar? Punjabis do not need to appease the Goreh/West by forcing Sikhi on others. If they want to know, they can use the internet, libraries etc. Travel and living costs from donations to fund such trips could be used for important causes. Do not put religion before humanity. I would be interested to know the ratio of such balances within Sikh educational charities.

To finish on the OP, what I also do not understand and what really annoys me is why outsiders use the names of the Gurus i.e. 'Tegh' or the Chaar Sahibzaade etc. It displays pretentiousness and ego as well as a clear lack of respect and understanding of their legacy.

The name of a person can you tell you a lot about them. In the case with these individuals, they just think it is 'cool'. Who are these nobodies compared to our Gurus and great Gursikhs?

err who are you to decide who is worthy of sikhi ?  Parchaar is what all Guru Sahiban did and encouraged their sikhs to do especially the bibian , the fact that someone has done the hard work of inspiring our youth and those who have a language barrier and joint knowledge barrier should be encouraged and admired . The primary audience was our own who had been failed by their families so what if others who have been left cold by the world seek Guru ji's words of solace and find knowledge there ? Are you going to stand and tell them no ?

People who are donating are doing through their own choice , you don't have to give if you don't want these are the same people who donate to SAS and Khalsa Aid and Ecosikhs and plenty of other groups .

Punjabis have been using Ajit SIngh , Fateh Singh, Bahadur Singh etc forever... there is no paabandi  besides he renamed after taking gurvaak and presented the name for jaikaara of approval by sangat. What would you prefer that  people stay with Christian names when their allegiance is with Guru?

Sikhi is on the rise , did you believe that all the sikhs would be just punjabis because the panj piarey were not just punjabi , early sikhs were afghans, assamese, sindhi, gujrati, Sri Lankan all sorts and their skin would have been just as diverse as now . Don't be scared of change 

Those who are being brought to sikhi is through Waheguru ji's hukham ...accept it

4 hours ago, genie said:

I noticed alot of haters which include punjabi Christians. black Christians, south asian muslims and off course punjabi hindu's really hate it when blacks or whites convert to sikhi. Alot of these scumbags always leave negative comments on these kinda videos out of pure jealously and hatred for non-punjabis/non-indians embracing Sikhi.

But for us in Sikhi its great to see different people from different races and walks of lifes hearing the Guru's message and giving their life to sikhi and reconnecting their soul to Waheguru.

Yup, alot of haters out there, esp panjabi hindus, communists etc. We even have 1 on this thread, masquerading under fake sikh ID's. Ive always sed it, never ever trust any sharma/verma/masih.

49 minutes ago, StarStriker said:

Yup, alot of haters out there, esp panjabi hindus, communists etc. We even have 1 on this thread, masquerading under fake sikh ID's. Ive always sed it, never ever trust any sharma/verma/masih.

Yes, I find the sharma's the most vilest anti-sikh group of brahmin hindu punjabi's you can get though some sharma are Sikh who just happened to have the surname sharma and belong to brahmin sikh community. Verma are usually 50/50 one groups are pro-sikh and other half are into hp cults. Masih are punjabi christians these group are the sly ones who try to brainwash non-christians into their abrahmic cult using the promise of free medicine and cash loans aided by western rich governments and church funds.

2 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

It doesnt matter how they come into sikhi or embrace it. What matters is that people are and we should welcome them in with open arms as brothers and sisters. If we close ourselves like some hp cult or castist cult then sikhi wont spread and we will be reduced in numbers as people marry out because of brainwashing by the atheist west rich elites.

Basics of Sikhi are doing amazing job and they are making islamic and christian missionaries mad, which is the best bit. We should be targetting hindu punjabis too because their cults are dangerous to Sikh population of punjab and india. The reason why hindu punjabis have been left alone by Sikh missionaries is because of SGPC which has been controlled by jattwad castists probably in the pay of RSS they are the new brahmins elitists who secretly infiltrated our institutions so that we couldnt spread Sikhi to dalits or others and as a result we lost our chance of Sikhistan/Khalistan back in 1940s.

You maybe  HP in disguise of a Sikh we dont know but either way only the enemy of Waheguru's Sikhi doesnt want it to spread to non-sikhs. So any tactic that can be used to convert non-sikhs especially breeding age women to Sikhi the better because there is an ideological war going on out there the muslims know this and breed like rats and convert women because divorcing and getting another woman to breed with to increase muslim population. Most Sikhs are lost  in a state of m0ronic denial at the moment to ground realities of how population is important as it equals political power = better rights and treatment for Sikhs.

I read somewhere on another forum once that Guru Nanak dev ji once said if you live and spread the goodness of sikhi you will be saved in the after life with the lords grace. Also after you die Waheguru will ask you what did you do while on earth to further my religion, when you were given Sikhi did you help others get into the religion or did you selfishly keep to yourself? What will you say? Death can happen any time my friend but if you haven't helped spread the religion and convert non-believers into Sikh believers then you will probably be judged harshly. Waheguru didnt manifest Sikhi on earth so that it can die out or only a small select cult of people can practice it, he wants it to spread. And spread it shall if we all work at it.

Guest Jacfsing2
18 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

Note to Mods: delete this racist nonsense. We got a million problems and we don't want racism to influence the lost people within our Panth. To be honest when this guy in the video mentioned that nobody considering him a Sikh, I honestly noticed the dumalla before his skin color, (a turban is more visible than the skin color if you ask me).

1 hour ago, kcmidlands said:

The full video is up on youtube.

Irrelevant of whether you agree or disagree it's always worth listening to an "outsiders" experience of Sikhi and what draw's them to it and also, what brings people back into Sikhi.

I think this is the couple that Bhai Sukha Singh talks about in the video about the power of the living Guru and BHai Baljit SIngh ji also

4 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

Tegh Singh & Rusveer Kaur's life reminded me of the song 

It's a Long Road - Dan Hill (Theme from First Blood '1985)

Waheguru ji mehar karan tuhadi family te

aint no doubt Waheguru reached in and pulled them out .... What to take out of this :

1. need to get rid of the illiterate bigots in gurdwarey by making it normal for non-punjabi speaking people to have support and friendly faces to deal with by encouraging the youth to watch out for them and engage .

2. Each gurdwara across the planet needs a strategy and resources to support newcomers

3. we need support for domestic violence sufferers and posters for helplines etc in the loos and foyers of gurdwarey in multiple languages.

4. in-house counselling if possible 

5. Gursikhs manning sikhi drop-ins at the gurdwara so people can get their questions answered in a non-judgemental way.