singhbj singh

Emotional journey of an ex-army Black American into Sikhi

59 posts in this topic

Not the best background music for this type of video.

I wonder how many Punjabi and of course Hindu (why do they get a say?) bigots have posted negative comments about black not being able to become Singhs . 

I'm so happy for them ...

9 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

I wonder how many Punjabi and of course Hindu (why do they get a say?) bigots have posted negative comments about black not being able to become Singhs . 

I'm so happy for them ...

Because our Sri Guru Sahib ji is also their Guru ji equally. He was their Guru ji before Sikhs even existed.

10 minutes ago, Preeet said:

Because our Sri Guru Sahib ji is also their Guru ji equally. He was their Guru ji before Sikhs even existed.

a shisha doesn't question their Guru ji's wisdom ...so where is your theory now .

They are not SIkh by behaviour prayers or ethics because of their own manmat choice then want to tell Gursikhs how to be ....such hypocrites

21 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

a shisha doesn't question their Guru ji's wisdom ...so where is your theory now .

They are not SIkh by behaviour prayers or ethics because of their own manmat choice then want to tell Gursikhs how to be ....such hypocrites

My theory? I was not talking about those specific Hindus that would object that guy, rather I was talking about Hindus as a whole. By that logic I don't think youd consider people to be Sikhs just because there are people like Badal (meaning you do not consider Hindus to have him as their Guru ji because of a small amount of Hindus). Believe it or not, in a lot of Mandirs they even worship our Sri Guru Sahib jis as their Guru jis. Even in Canada where Im from, they worship them in my city's Mandir even though there is a Gurdwara ji in the same area.

7 minutes ago, Preeet said:

My theory? I was not talking about those specific Hindus that would object that guy, rather I was talking about Hindus as a whole. By that logic I don't think youd consider people to be Sikhs just because there are people like Badal (meaning you do not consider Hindus to have him as their Guru ji because of a small amount of Hindus). Believe it or not, in a lot of Mandirs they even worship our Sri Guru Sahib jis as their Guru jis. Even in Canada where Im from, they worship them in my city's Mandir even though there is a Gurdwara ji in the same area.

How do they worship them ? 

Just now, simran345 said:

How do they worship them ? 

The same way they worship the other Gods. They wash the image, they do Sri Vaheguru jaap. When I went there I was surprised.  The aunties and uncles that go there say Vaheguru Vaheguru even in front of devta images instead of saying om namah shivaya theyd say Vaheguru Vaheguru infront of the shivling etc.

11 minutes ago, Preeet said:

Sindhis even though they used to believe in the light of Vaheguru on Earth have now embraced mainstream Hinduism. Now the only worship of Mahraj in their system is mostly RSS Pakhand. 

2 minutes ago, Preeet said:

The same way they worship the other Gods. They wash the image, they do Sri Vaheguru jaap. When I went there I was surprised.  The aunties and uncles that go there say Vaheguru Vaheguru even in front of devta images instead of saying om namah shivaya theyd say Vaheguru Vaheguru infront of the shivling etc.

The light of God has no image. If you read Jaap Sahib you can see clearly.

1 minute ago, Jacfsing2 said:

The light of God has no image. If you read Jaap Sahib you can see clearly.

Of course, but they worship Guru ji's image, you know, the ones that even Sikhs keep in their homes? & it's a Punjabi mandir, not a sindhi one. Even all the writing is in gurmukhi rather than hindi. 

Edited by Preeet

1 minute ago, Preeet said:

Of course, but they worship Guru ji's image, you know, the ones that even Sikhs keep in their homes?

a murti or tasveer can NEVER capture Guru Sahiban anyone who is deluded enough to think that this manmat is what our Guru accepts as Guru mera pooja , Gur Govind ....are really really lost . whether Sikh, Hindu, SIndi whatever.

2 people like this

Just now, jkvlondon said:

a murti or tasveer can NEVER capture Guru Sahiban anyone who is deluded enough to think that this manmat is what our Guru accepts as Guru mera pooja , Gur Govind ....are really really lost . whether Sikh, Hindu, SIndi whatever.

So you are against Sikh art?

Just now, Preeet said:

So you are against Sikh art?

yes in terms of elevating it above Gurbani and Gur Panth, only exception are the SELF-portraits of Guru Teg Bahadur ji , which I respect as much as the handwritten hukamnamey, letters and gurbani because of Guru ji's energetic signature .

yes in terms of elevating it above Gurbani and Gur Panth, only exception are the SELF-portraits of Guru Teg Bahadur ji , which I respect as much as the handwritten hukamnamey, letters and gurbani because of Guru ji's energetic signature .

Okay then..  Keep in mind that the art that they are worshiping also has Vaheguru written on it, they are literally worshiping Gurbani as you and I matha tek to it as well. The people there have faith in Guru ji.

3 minutes ago, Preeet said:

Okay then..  Keep in mind that the art that they are worshiping also has Vaheguru written on it, they are literally worshiping Gurbani as you and I matha tek to it as well. The people there have faith in Guru ji.

do not try to misinterpret the printing of gurbani as justtification of the worship of the artists kalpana ...next people will be writing gurbani on their bodies and saying they are now pavitar by that act ....using that logic trail 

Guru lives in the Naad of the gurbani not on paper that is why we are told to sing it, say it , do its charchaa

Edited by jkvlondon
1 person likes this

do not try to misinterpret the printing of gurbani as justtification of the worship of the artists kalpana ...next people will be writing gurbani on their bodies and saying they are now pavitar by that act ....using that logic trait

The thing is, art does not sweat or make impurities. Our bodies do sweat, and also go to the bathroom (so our bodies can never be pavitra because of sweat etc, thus keeping sikh tattoos would be not good and incomparable to art). I don't see anything wrong with people matha teking to gurbani ji. Curious, do you own any Sikh art?

33 minutes ago, Preeet said:

The thing is, art does not sweat or make impurities. Our bodies do sweat, and also go to the bathroom (so our bodies can never be pavitra because of sweat etc, thus keeping sikh tattoos would be not good and incomparable to art). I don't see anything wrong with people matha teking to gurbani ji. Curious, do you own any Sikh art?

only lazer reproduction of Guru Gobind Singh ji handwritten Mul Mantar  ... 

I suppose book covers are included so then Dasam Granth Q & A has a tasveer made on it but I cover it with ramala when reading so do not see it 

Edited by jkvlondon

1 hour ago, Preeet said:

Of course, but they worship Guru ji's image, you know, the ones that even Sikhs keep in their homes? & it's a Punjabi mandir, not a sindhi one. Even all the writing is in gurmukhi rather than hindi. 

I'm not exactly anti-pictures like most Gursikhs are, (bless me to be like them), but there are 2 types of pictures. One is the worshipping type, which shouldn't be made and the 2nd is the historical type which is fine.

An example of the first one: images.jpg.196ebdef1722ee71119bfd6c51f190f9.jpg

An example of the second one: severedheadofteghbahadur.jpg.2b3333b3ea14cc6c50a2464a99af6c48.jpg

2 people like this

Guru Nanak Dev ji rejected idol worship themselves. There are pangtis in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji where Guruji tells us this. 

Pictures only become worship when one one treats them as idol worship. Have you ever seen a statue of any of the Gurus in a Gurdwara? No, right, that's because it's anti-gurmat to worship stone statues, as Guruji tells us this. 

When Sikhs bow to Guruji, it's not idol worship, but they are bowing in respect to the word of God, the shabad, which is same as bowing to God, which is totally different to what idol worship of Hindus is. There is no comparison. 

12 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Guru Nanak Dev ji rejected idol worship themselves. There are pangtis in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji where Guruji tells us this. 

Pictures only become worship when one one treats them as idol worship. Have you ever seen a statue of any of the Gurus in a Gurdwara? No, right, that's because it's anti-gurmat to worship stone statues, as Guruji tells us this. 

When Sikhs bow to Guruji, it's not idol worship, but they are bowing in respect to the word of God, the shabad, which is same as bowing to God, which is totally different to what idol worship of Hindus is. There is no comparison. 

matha tekna is humbling our chanchal low intellect in front of the unalienable hukham and gian of Guru Sahiban

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

matha tekna is humbling our chanchal low intellect in front of the unalienable hukham and gian of Guru Sahiban

Exactly. 

“Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the embodiment of the attributes of Ever Existent Supreme Being. Worshipping Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is same as paying homage to The Supreme Being.” 

~ Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji 

Penji have you read this book ?

"Is Worshipping Guru Granth Sahib ji Akin to Idol Worship?"

Sorry can't get the font to go smaller  

Edited by simran345

10 hours ago, simran345 said:

Exactly. 

“Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the embodiment of the attributes of Ever Existent Supreme Being. Worshipping Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is same as paying homage to The Supreme Being.” 

~ Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji 

Penji have you read this book ?

"Is Worshipping Guru Granth Sahib ji Akin to Idol Worship?"

Sorry can't get the font to go smaller  

No but I have always had that sentiment from when I was a child ...it's on my to read list I've read Jail chittian three times .Due for another re-read this time with bholi bhene Isher Kaur

The other sentiment is putting the doord of the sant jan on my mastak 

Edited by jkvlondon

8 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

No but I have always had that sentiment from when I was a child ...it's on my to read list I've read Jail chittian three times .Due for another re-read this time with bholi bhene Isher Kaur

The other sentiment is putting the doord of the sant jan on my mastak 

The book's really good, its online in English and Punjabi but I recommend the Punjabi as the translations dont do the full justice of BHai Sahib's wisdom.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Kira said:

The book's really good, its online in English and Punjabi but I recommend the Punjabi as the translations dont do the full justice of BHai Sahib's wisdom.

agreed Bhai sahib's words can be terse but they strike home in their directness , I have been downloading pdf s to read on my kindle ...would recommend this way of building up a personal sikh library to dip into , when a lull occurs in your day .

1 person likes this

I got to say: that Tegh fellow looks proper good in his dastaar. Can't wait to see the video and see how his deployments in the army effected him.