Weddings: An expensive affair for guests

5 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

If you ever go to a suit place in India you will always notice that these places are mostly run by men. Even the suits are mostly embroidered and stitched by men.

It is quite interesting to watch women customers going into these shops and haggle with these men.

If there any group of men that understand female psychology it's these lot.

I think the reason why women are far bigger consumers is because women are largely hard wired to gather from thousands of year of living in hunter gathering societies.

If a man wants a pair of jeans from a shopping mall, he can pick out a pair of jeans and be in and out within 10 minutes. Just like a hunter will behave.

If you ask a woman to buy a pair of jeans, she will go to every shop and buy so many other things as well as a pair of jeans.

Corporates understand very well men are by nature minimalists which is why it is far harder to get them to consume at a level that they can get a woman to.

If you ever go to a store to buy some clothing and there is a woman customer as well as a male customer,  the shopping assistant will always go to the male customer.

They are trained to go for the male customer because they know he has gone with the intention to buy something whereas they know a lot of women will go for window shopping.

Consumer behaviour is very interesting. 

Other stores also had male staff and hardly saw any women assistants in the ones I went in. The one that did, she was just told to put the material on her shoulder as a model, buts that's the only thing she did. It was the male staff that dealt with the customers. And they normally exaggerate how their clients from USA have put in a big order and bought like 20 suits, that they think the women will fall for in order to get sales.  I just said, storiyan nai sun nia main, main chali bye. 

4 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Other stores also had male staff and hardly saw any women assistants in the ones I went in. The one that did, she was just told to put the material on her shoulder as a model, buts that's the only thing she did. It was the male staff that dealt with the customers. And they normally exaggerate how their clients from USA have put in a big order and bought like 20 suits, that they think the women will fall for in order to get sales.  I just said, storiyan nai sun nia main, main chali bye. 

The other tactic they use is that they always offer you tea or coffee.

They try to get you comfortable so that you feel obliged to make a purchase.

2 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

The other tactic they use is that they always offer you tea or coffee.

They try to get you comfortable so that you feel obliged to make a purchase.

Oh no not the cappicino and limca! And then they dump all the rubbish suits they been saving for the last 10years and none of the new designs, whilst keeping you there longer like you're at a police station for questioning. And they decide to let you go after 2hours with one suit that you're never going to wear and 3 others that you buy for your family members but they won't like them. And when you get home, you think to yourself ?"How on earth did I fall for that trick again and the suits are rubbish" ??

On 3/10/2017 at 10:22 PM, simran345 said:

Yes it's official, women do go ott at weddings and party functions. I don't see men going to all that trouble for one day. Out of interest what do men think when they see this? Do they think the women have lost the plot or what? 

Bhen ji, if I'm being a hundred percent honest and not politically correct, a lot of what Sikh women (and women in general) do these days seems borderline demented to me. Sikh women look tasteless and garish at weddings to such an extreme that they even make xmas decorations look lacklustre (I'm not kidding here!)

It's like Panjabi Sikh women are completely oblivious of the idea of reserve and understatement when it comes to appearance. Even the makeup a lot of them wear wouldn't look out of place on Crusty the clown. Seriously. The bhen ji's from back home are the most guilty of this. 

Definitely. Corporations target women specifically knowing they are, at this moment in history, the one demographic more than any other that drive the world economy.

Years ago I did this post-grad thing on psychology, and I remember a lecture on social psychology and the (female) lecturer did say (and quickly tried to move on from it...) that females were shown to be more susceptible to media and peer pressure than blokes (statistically speaking). I know damn well that the corporations use this type of research to design advertisement campaigns that are cleverly designed to manipulate the innate drives they've identified in women. 

Are women generally really that helpless in the face of these things? It's like when I see women watching television - seriously, it's like they are hypnotised! lol

I understand and agree that it is GOOD to look after yourself and make yourself presentable. But certain people routinely go mental with this. A lot of modern women appear to conditioned, consumerist sheep. There is some lack of balance going on.  

That's how it looks to me anyway. 

<Gets ready for feminist and gaylord backlash>

16 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Bhen ji, if I'm being a hundred percent honest and not politically correct, a lot of what Sikh women (and women in general) do these days seems borderline demented to me. Sikh women look tasteless and garish at weddings to such an extreme that they even make xmas decorations look lacklustre (I'm not kidding here!)

It's like Panjabi Sikh women are completely oblivious of the idea of reserve and understatement when it comes to appearance. Even the makeup a lot of them wear wouldn't look out of place on Crusty the clown. Seriously. The bhen ji's from back home are the most guilty of this. 

Years ago I did this post-grad thing on psychology, and I remember a lecture on social psychology and the (female) lecturer did say (and quickly tried to move on from it...) that females were shown to be more susceptible to media and peer pressure than blokes (statistically speaking). I know damn well that the corporations use this type of research to design advertisement campaigns that are cleverly designed to manipulate the innate drives they've identified in women. 

Are women generally really that helpless in the face of these things? It's like when I see women watching television - seriously, it's like they are hypnotised! lol

I understand and agree that it is GOOD to look after yourself and make yourself presentable. But certain people routinely go mental with this. A lot of modern women appear to conditioned, consumerist sheep. There is some lack of balance going on.  

That's how it looks to me anyway. 

<Gets ready for feminist and gaylord backlash>

sorry me no gaylord bacche and to be sikh is to be feminist else you're doing it wrong haanna,

besides I'd agree especially those vecharian who watch bakwas tv shows either goray or desi which claim you aren't living unless you wear 300 pound shoes, drive a merc and buy a new designer suit every week . Sorry aint nobody got time for that...

My mum always taught us to live inside our means or save up for big purchases (barring house) , hubby is similar ...hubby got grief when we went back to brasil bcos they all showed off their massive houses and cars then he found out the real deal , renting and maxxed out credit . And that is our stupid peoples mentality they got into the 1980s mode a decade later than the goray and never looked back , probably stuck in negative equity too now. It's very tempting but you'll only fall for it if you are immature (my time was 19-21) but thankfully the magic of having to earn to spend cured me

Guest Jacfsing2
2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

sorry me no gaylord bacche and to be sikh is to be feminist else you're doing it wrong haanna,

besides I'd agree especially those vecharian who watch bakwas tv shows either goray or desi which claim you aren't living unless you wear 300 pound shoes, drive a merc and buy a new designer suit every week . Sorry aint nobody got time for that...

My mum always taught us to live inside our means or save up for big purchases (barring house) , hubby is similar ...hubby got grief when we went back to brasil bcos they all showed off their massive houses and cars then he found out the real deal , renting and maxxed out credit . And that is our stupid peoples mentality they got into the 1980s mode a decade later than the goray and never looked back , probably stuck in negative equity too now. It's very tempting but you'll only fall for it if you are immature (my time was 19-21) but thankfully the magic of having to earn to spend cured me

Sikhi isn't about feminism, it's about the grace of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji being Pargat and allowing us to be one with Vaheguru and feminist in the modern-west means something totally different from what people grew-up with. 

Feminism has become nothing more than a tool to encourage promiscuity now, and for white men (and women) to try and bash nonwhite males as some sort of neanderthals. They'll talk about women not getting fair pay but totally ignore the racism towards nonwhite males in their society.

Sikh women need to create their own movement instead of jumping on white women's bandwagon and getting manipulated by it. Conscious black women have twigged on to the pitfalls (and embedded racism) of feminism and talk about their own brand of 'womenism' now. Sikh females need to catch up on this. 

2 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Sikhi isn't about feminism, it's about the grace of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji being Pargat and allowing us to be one with Vaheguru and feminist in the modern-west means something totally different from what people grew-up with. 

bro , since when have women in the west been equal? they are still fighting the two-faced nature of the misogyny around them in diverse fields . The current gen are detached from the reality of the struggle for most of the women on the planet and only consider themselves as valid benefit receivers  instead of liberating ALL women with the help of the Men . 

Sikhi respects all women equally and all men equally this is the natural justice of Akal Purakh , they have equal free will , equal opportunities to use their time to which purpose they feel drawn to and they will pay for their mistakes equally too

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

Feminism has become nothing more than a tool to encourage promiscuity now, and for white men (and women) to try and bash nonwhite males as some sort of neanderthals. They'll talk about women not getting fair pay but totally ignore the racism towards nonwhite males in their society.

Sikh women need to create their own movement instead of jumping on white women's bandwagon and getting manipulated by it. Conscious black women have twigged on to the pitfalls (and embedded racism) of feminism and talk about their own brand of 'womenism' now. Sikh females need to catch up on this. 

bro I meant true feminism is seeing all one in the one jot sense not any SJW stylee thing and I agree sikh feminism is to be above becoming objectified or objectifying others .