Weddings: An expensive affair for guests

23 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I'm wondering. Is there an issue with women and consumerism, especially when it comes to make up and clothes? I guess we can also say that many blokes get stuck in this too, what with having to have the latest ride and stuff. 

the saas and the bloke often push the girls saying things like sadda nak kuttvouna , change kaparde paa ke ja .....the unmarried ones use their Dad's nose as  an excuse (maybe I missed the class covering the connection) my Masi did twice once for the first marriage and then again for her second ...

Nowadays it's a contest between the career girls much like the guys you mentioned

Just wondering whether hiring dresses/suits could come into play.

I know some folk purchase clothes and then refund it after wearing it.

With men, it is acceptable to have the same suit. It is acceptable for two men have the exact same suit in the same colour.

For two women to have the same outfit is a complete no no, because they have to be unique and special.

The only exception to this of course is the new trend for the brides' sisters and friends to be dressed in the same outfits like a squad. But that tends to be for the Anand Karaj. 

Whereas the reception there will a completely different outfit.

1 minute ago, Ranjeet01 said:

With men, it is acceptable to have the same suit. It is acceptable for two men have the exact same suit in the same colour.

For two women to have the same outfit is a complete no no, because they have to be unique and special.

The only exception to this of course is the new trend for the brides' sisters and friends to be dressed in the same outfits like a squad. But that tends to be for the Anand Karaj. 

When I was a kid everyone wore one outfit through the day , when I was a teen the bride's family started to attend the wedding party now everyone acts like it's their own wedding and need two outfits to change into . I'm old school ...thank God 

9 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Omg, even the bridesmaids are being sewn top of the range suits now. Before it was, get the simplest and not too expensive material, but they are all kitted out like a squad you mentioned. I went to look for a suit myself for a wedding and was told they had many orders for bridesmaids group. But I still went ahead and bought it, just hope they don't turn up at the wedding I'm going to, "ek bridesmaid piche kio bheti a?" ?

9 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

When I was a kid everyone wore one outfit through the day , when I was a teen the bride's family started to attend the wedding party now everyone acts like it's their own wedding and need two outfits to change into . I'm old school ...thank God 

I wonder whose idea this was, "same suit nai pauna reception te". " oh okay ji, fikar not, we'll just spend double more than the one in the morning for the afternoon reception too, even thou it's not our wedding, chal ho" ??

like who on earth invented this idea? What's wrong with wearing the suit to both? Guess it won't create the disco dance effect. ?

1 hour ago, Ranjeet01 said:

one of my SIL has that despicable habit and she openly boasted about it to my Mum who was suitably horrified (no pun  intended). She did the same for her daughter's outfit ....My mum was like just buy something you can afford rather than doing that dodgy behaviour sweating etc into the outfit and then returning it, yuck.

4 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I'm wondering. Is there an issue with women and consumerism, especially when it comes to make up and clothes? I guess we can also say that many blokes get stuck in this too, what with having to have the latest ride and stuff. 

Talking about makeup, also the extra costs of getting professional makeup and hair done, even the older ones. No wonder there's nothing left for a gift or sagan for the couple. Yes it's official, women do go ott at weddings and party functions. I don't see men going to all that trouble for one day. Out of interest what do men think when they see this? Do they think the women have lost the plot or what? 

And the contribution to this increased spending are the dvd and photographs of the wedding, oh and Facebook. Because somebody is going see them and compare and analyse outfits, as if they're on the red carpet for the movies awards in Hollywood. 

12 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Bhenji, these particular women are the types that say to mom and dad, "Sikh boys aren't smart or educated enough, so I'm not going to get married." Then she posts a picture of herself on Instagram in Marbella with her black boyfriend who barely has a handful of GCSEs to his name, lmao.

Definitely. Corporations target women specifically knowing they are, at this moment in history, the one demographic more than any other that drive the world economy.

If you ever go to a suit place in India you will always notice that these places are mostly run by men. Even the suits are mostly embroidered and stitched by men.

It is quite interesting to watch women customers going into these shops and haggle with these men.

If there any group of men that understand female psychology it's these lot.

I think the reason why women are far bigger consumers is because women are largely hard wired to gather from thousands of year of living in hunter gathering societies.

If a man wants a pair of jeans from a shopping mall, he can pick out a pair of jeans and be in and out within 10 minutes. Just like a hunter will behave.

If you ask a woman to buy a pair of jeans, she will go to every shop and buy so many other things as well as a pair of jeans.

Corporates understand very well men are by nature minimalists which is why it is far harder to get them to consume at a level that they can get a woman to.

If you ever go to a store to buy some clothing and there is a woman customer as well as a male customer,  the shopping assistant will always go to the male customer.

They are trained to go for the male customer because they know he has gone with the intention to buy something whereas they know a lot of women will go for window shopping.

Consumer behaviour is very interesting.