Weddings: An expensive affair for guests

honestly she's whinging about a tofaa what about the bride's Mum and Dad ...maybe she needs to stop whinging and start helping get her family and friends to influence others to bring down expectations and costs for female's folks everywhere. The other thing whether or not you attend if you are related the present is still sent unless you have zero manners 

1 hour ago, singhbj singh said:

Sounds more like she's saying it as it as a guest, the outfits, etc and being expected to wear different ones and they are expensive. I agree with her, weddings are not only expensive for the bride and groom's families, but for the women guests too, if one has many weddings to attend and are close to the families. Even if one isn't close, there still is that expectation to fit in.  

These demands of OTT shiny glittery Xmas decorations effect  outfits are the cause of stores selling them so expensive. The Punjabi/Indian wedding scene is making lots of money for those in business, but unfortunately a waste for those that have to fork out for it. 

For the men, it's the same suit they've worn to bhuaji's son's and daughter's wedding, and to the jaago's and maiyan, to the Anand Karaj and keep it on through the reception and probably to the engagements too. And also did the rounds at Bittu's kids weddings and Billa's and then Masi ji's daughter's wedding and then to the rest of the relatives functions too. But:

Theemian de suit nai mukde ? . Kade frock suit, kade lehnga, kade lal, kade green, te chamkana golden silverrrrttt all in one rang barangi rainbow chunnia v. Tell me about it, I've just emptied out my suitcase coincidentally (which I kept filling up over the years) and wondering which charity to give them to or shall I sell them on eBay. eBay seems too much hassle. I've decided never to wear decoration heavy suits or whatever nonsense curtains embroidered with million sequins again ?and only keeping it simple. No more, no more I'm on strike ?. But I've always got the cheapest, even they are prices high, because the stores price them that way, otherwise it's stuff nobody would buy. 

Its worse in India, all my relatives never wear the same suit to a wedding and they say purana piece a suit. 

These demands of OTT shiny glittery Xmas decorations effect  outfits are the cause of stores selling them so expensive. The Punjabi/Indian wedding scene is making lots of money for those in business, but unfortunately a waste for those that have to fork out for it. 

So true. I knew this girl who'd have to go to weddings all the time. She'd easily spend £300/£500 on clothes and matching churrhian and jootiyan for each wedding. Certain shops on Green Street in East London makes a killing from all this. 

I think another aspect of these things is that girls often look for husbands at these functions, so they have to go OTT to get noticed. 

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

So true. I knew this girl who'd have to go to weddings all the time. She'd easily spend £300/£500 on clothes and matching churrhian and jootiyan for each wedding. Certain shops on Green Street in East London makes a killing from all this. 

I think another aspect of these things is that girls often look for husbands at these functions, so they have to go OTT to get noticed. 

Gosh that's a lot. Yep, it all adds up, after the accessories, but luckily I've never been one for accessories and I still think it's all over rated. Keeps the tailors in work too, which is a good thing, but they're not cheap either. 

Thing is nowadays, one can't tell whose married and whose not, as even the married ones have their competition too. 

Couple of young women in my neck of the woods spent no less than £2000 on a suit for a wedding that's never worn again. The wedding itself wasn't even in their family... 

They don't report the true price of what they're buying. £200-300 for a wedding suit is considered pauper-quality clothing. And these aren't wealthy people; they're just your average 9 to 5 women. And the husbands don't have a clue. 

47 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Gosh that's a lot. Yep, it all adds up, after the accessories, but luckily I've never been one for accessories and I still think it's all over rated. Keeps the tailors in work too, which is a good thing, but they're not cheap either. 

Thing is nowadays, one can't tell whose married and whose not, as even the married ones have their competition too. 

I spent 300 on my shoes and matching handbag for my wedding day and I thought that was extravagance . My whole suits collection for the new life were a grand total of 1 lakh rupees (14 suits all embroidered plus chunnian) which was less than the price of one of my Masi's chunnis for her wedding ...I think my Nana ji was impressed at my level headed- ness . I still have some of the chunnian (lost most of them in housefire) yep 26 years after the buying .... I just make new plain suits to go with them ... I do not agree with the whole ik din paalea dujha din sittleha, 

I don't need to get married again so I aint out to outshine the main players and youngsters, if it's something I like and have made well I wear it, else I'll just grab one of the old ones ... I don't care if it's been seen before , life's too short  and I'm just there to be part of the sangat.

28 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Couple of young women in my neck of the woods spent no less than £2000 on a suit for a wedding that's never worn again. The wedding itself wasn't even in their family... 

They don't report the true price of what they're buying. £200-300 for a wedding suit is considered pauper-quality clothing. And these aren't wealthy people; they're just your average 9 to 5 women. And the husbands don't have a clue. 

fools and their money are soon parted ... it's because they have to have 'designer' wear lenghas and suits which are not that much better in quality than those they call pauper suits . My mum used to make clothes for a factory which used to supply brands as well as no brand ones she still got paid the same the only differences were the labels sewn it at the end . It is much the same in Indian clothing industry. I sew myself and I've bought designer stuff and had to fix their lousy stitching . These days I buy the embroidered materials and make them myself ... quality assured and I don't get done over by 'tailors' here 

1 minute ago, jkvlondon said:

fools and their money are soon parted ... it's because they have to have 'designer' wear lenghas and suits which are not that much better in quality than those they call pauper suits . My mum used to make clothes for a factory which used to supply brands as well as no brand ones she still got paid the same the only differences were the labels sewn it at the end . It is much the same in Indian clothing industry. I sew myself and I've bought designer stuff and had to fix their lousy stitching . These days I buy the embroidered materials and make them myself ... quality assured and I don't get done over by 'tailors' here 

They'd argue it's their money and nobodies business, but it's another one to add to the ever expanding list of problems that may seem superficial to some, but points towards a disturbing decay in our priorities, our ethics, and our attitudes, that can be found at the heart of our people.