Jump to content
Guest weaksoul

Je koi sikh `havan` karawe ghar wich tan ki ooh sikh kehlawega?

Recommended Posts

This is the description box. 

In here you're supposed to write the description of the topic,as what you wrote in the title:

"Je koi sikh `havan` karawe ghar wich tan ki ooh sikh kehlawega? "

 

And the title should summarise what the topic is about, so it can be identified easily and from search option. 

 

Edited by simran345

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me get my Joogle Translate app working:

If a Sikh conducts a havan ritual, should they call themselves a Sikh?

Firstly, what's a havan, lol? I'm guessing it's a Hindu ritual or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jacfsing2
36 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Let me get my Joogle Translate app working:

If a Sikh conducts a havan ritual, should they call themselves a Sikh?

Firstly, what's a havan, lol? I'm guessing it's a Hindu ritual or something?

Havan is fire used in worship, basically people put offerings inside it and hope something happens. 

On 3/9/2017 at 3:30 AM, Guest weaksoul said:

Don't know what to write here

Sikhs don't do Havan, but the Turban-Wearers,(don't really got any other term for this group), who do Havan are called Naamdhari, they don't believe Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the Guru, nor do they accept Khand Di Pahul which requires initates to wear Kirpan, (they believe in a Symbolic Kirpan on the Kangha).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/03/2017 at 0:04 PM, MisterrSingh said:

Let me get my Joogle Translate app working:

If a Sikh conducts a havan ritual, should they call themselves a Sikh?

Firstly, what's a havan, lol? I'm guessing it's a Hindu ritual or something?

its a hindu ritual. They sacrifice stuff into fires to bring good luck etc. Sometimes in the form of vegetation or even animals depending on what branch of Hinduism you follow. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as my knowledge of hinduism goes, havan is a way of worship and meditation prescribed by the first and second layer of the vedas, namely the "sanhita" (compilation) and "aranya"(forest).

So the ancient indians followed this system while their wisdom about paarbrahm was still developing. 

However the later layers of vedas,  the "brahmanas" and "upanishad" (literally meaning "sitting close to guru humbly") rejects this and outward worship of havan is replaced by inner contemplation and "knowing of self" which is core of every Upanishads. 

 

So even later day hinduism reject pretty much everything of what gurmat rejects. 

 

So a "sikh" who does havan is like a fool who takes a bullock cart when he has a private jet. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/03/2017 at 6:51 PM, Kira said:

its a hindu ritual. They sacrifice stuff into fires to bring good luck etc. Sometimes in the form of vegetation or even animals depending on what branch of Hinduism you follow. 

reminds me of the bollywood depictions in childhood of lines of pandits spooning ghee into fires saying their mantras ending something like 'om namo swaha' to which somebody quipped in house tere sirr vich swaha.... much giggling ensued . But truly it is pointless , Aka Purakh gives you aan,  padarath to use for yourself and  the needy and yet they would prefer to burn it than give it in daan to the poor . 

Edited by jkvlondon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jacfsing2
2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

reminds me of the bollywood depictions in childhood of lines of pandits spooning ghee into fires saying their mantras ending something like 'om namo swaha' to which somebody quipped in house tere sirr vich swaha.... much giggling ensued . But truly it is pointless , Aka Purakh gives you aan,  padarath to use for yourself and  the needy and yet they would prefer to burn it than give it in daan to the poor . 

Well they throw water at the sun expecting their ancestors will get it? The rational thing is to give water to some random alive person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Well they throw water at the sun expecting their ancestors will get it? The rational thing is to give water to some random alive person.

It originally started at something else ! There's no way ancient sages were stupid enough to preach that ancestors lived inside sun ! 

Sage yagyavalkya (to whom is credited shukl(white) recension of yajurveda and who is key figure of Brihadaranyaka (great forest) upanishad , which records his spiritual discussion with his spiritually inclined wife "maitreyi" , talks of "sun" repeatedly 

and it was believed that it was sun who revealed Shukl YajurVeda to this sage ! 

however, "sun" is akal purakh ! sun of suns ! 

People misinterpret ! It happens in sikhi too but much less frequent because our baani is simple to understand ! not tough sanskrit and also because we're newer religion, so not many modifications 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×