Guest sangat

non amrit shak in charge of gurdwara

19 posts in this topic

Can a person who is not a amrit shak who eats meat and drinks  be in charge of a gurdwara

They shouldn't be but 90% of people in charge of gurdwaras are 

29 minutes ago, Singh123456777 said:

They shouldn't be but 90% of people in charge of gurdwaras are 

sadly , and that's why sikh gurdwara no longer promote sikh learning and ethics fully. These pretenders stop any knowledge being disseminated if it goes against their pet likes i.e. pubbing , drinking and leering

2 people like this

51 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

sadly , and that's why sikh gurdwara no longer promote sikh learning and ethics fully. These pretenders stop any knowledge being disseminated if it goes against their pet likes i.e. pubbing , drinking and leering

That is why you should attend your local Guradwara frequently to see what is happening and encourage others to do so. The more proper Amrit dhari Sikhs attend the Guradwaras then the more power you have to elect more qualified members to run the Guradwara for you. 

This will result in higher quality of katha, kirtan and other activities going on in the Guradwara. The Guradwara will eventually become a point where youngters want to go to for further enhancing their sikhi. 

1 person likes this

On 07/03/2017 at 9:49 AM, sikhni777 said:

That is why you should attend your local Guradwara frequently to see what is happening and encourage others to do so. The more proper Amrit dhari Sikhs attend the Guradwaras then the more power you have to elect more qualified members to run the Guradwara for you. 

This will result in higher quality of katha, kirtan and other activities going on in the Guradwara. The Guradwara will eventually become a point where youngters want to go to for further enhancing their sikhi. 

Will it really. . 

7 hours ago, Sukhvirk76 said:

Will it really. . 

well if we all do sewa, attend regularly  and then push for change then it may budge ...try to stay positive no bad day last forever.

"Koi bhul chuk maaf"

Here in India I've witnessed things being done by "Amritdhari Gurudwara members" that shame me to this day, i was a college student and one late night out we went to a pub- technically the pub was supposed to be closed by 1AM & here it's illegal to serve liquor after 1, so we were just talking to the guard outside the pub to let us enter & he wasn't too keen till some guy who knew the pubs owner called the owner & got us inside, & quite sadly there was the whole our local Gurudwara's paathi sahib, & sevadaars wearing their kirpans with beers in hand & feasting on meat, upon seeing us they looked shocked & embarrassed and after a few minutes they all left, then talking to the server we got to know that they used to frequent that bar every other weekend at this time so no one sees them, sadly we couldn't take any pics in the heat of the moment & very next day we went to meet the "pardhan sahib" & he just brushed it away like it was nothing.   

That scene still sticks to my mind like just yesterday, & i know how embarrassed & shamed i myself felt for letting these people "the dharm de thekedar" who were supposed to teach others about this panth, making a fool outta everyone. Baakiyan nu ki sikhauna ehna ne, jihna nu aap eh dharm raas ni aaeya.

(Koi bhul chuk maaf)

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, pavitarsin said:

"Koi bhul chuk maaf"

Here in India I've witnessed things being done by "Amritdhari Gurudwara members" that shame me to this day, i was a college student and one late night out we went to a pub- technically the pub was supposed to be closed by 1AM & here it's illegal to serve liquor after 1, so we were just talking to the guard outside the pub to let us enter & he wasn't too keen till some guy who knew the pubs owner called the owner & got us inside, & quite sadly there was the whole our local Gurudwara's paathi sahib, & sevadaars wearing their kirpans with beers in hand & feasting on meat, upon seeing us they looked shocked & embarrassed and after a few minutes they all left, then talking to the server we got to know that they used to frequent that bar every other weekend at this time so no one sees them, sadly we couldn't take any pics in the heat of the moment & very next day we went to meet the "pardhan sahib" & he just brushed it away like it was nothing.   

That scene still sticks to my mind like just yesterday, & i know how embarrassed & shamed i myself felt for letting these people "the dharm de thekedar" who were supposed to teach others about this panth, making a fool outta everyone. Baakiyan nu ki sikhauna ehna ne, jihna nu aap eh dharm raas ni aaeya.

(Koi bhul chuk maaf)

maybe the title should when non-rehitvaan sikhs run gurdwarey ...because so many people wear the uniform , take the respect but abuse the privilege ... there was a time that people had to earn each piece of their bana through bani and sewa now anybody even RSS agents just play dress up ...we need to insist on the proven ability, standard of the person . 

I am yet to see someone who is performing seva in the Guradwara (excluding Giani Jis and baba jis) with a true and pure heart. If people performing seva are doing so just for the sake of show off - then they are cheating not only themselves but also their creator. Such people are not trustworthy at all. Sikhi is very hard to earn. The mind cannot help itself but fall victim to many temptations when performing seva. Ahankaar and false pride in ones own abilities is not uncommon. Therefore it is necessary to perform as much Naam jap when venturing into seva of the Guradwara. 

Seva is also an important part of Sikhi - which is defined as the way to God. Seva karat hoe nehkami. Tis ko hot parapat Swami. Therefore if you do not drink and eat meat - you should venture out and attend the Guradwara so that you know what is happening there. When the right time comes - you can lend our contribution and help settling up a system to help others to rise to a similar post. 

Two-faced types of personalities frequent the Guradwara more than the righteous ones. These people then pose problems for those straight forward ones who wish to perform simple straight forward seva. Either way, these institutes are not in the hands of the right people in most cases. 

The older generation will soon be phased out. The question is what does the new generation have to offer to the community at large. Will they be able to upkeep the few weekly diwans which take place at Guradwaras. i hardly see any young girls performing shabad kirtan at ladies only satsangs, In our days, we made an effort to attend even during the holidays. This is not the case anymore. Who will be holding these ladies satsangs once the elder generation (whose voices can barely be heard while they sing) ?

Parents may have failed many a youngster by laying the importance of homework and good grades bef ore them as a deterrant to performing active seva in the local Guradwara. It may be seem as an idlers job. You know so and sos son is always at the Guradwara. These institutes are seen as places for the elderly to go for a time pass. During a week day, visit any Guradwara and you will see a very small amount of youngsters. These institutes were built for a purpose by the older generation. However - are we going to preserve and use them or just forget them and discard them? 

19 minutes ago, sikhni777 said:

These institutes were built for a purpose by the older generation. However - are we going to preserve and use them or just forget them and discard them? 

Similar to how Sikhs have bought and utilised empty churches thanks to Christian congregations dwindling over the decades, another faith will step in to convert our gurdwaras to their place of worship once the same fate befalls us. I wonder who that might be, hmm? 

Pure besti when that happens. Trust me, it will happen.

From what I have seen, Gurdwara's in UK were built & are maintained by emigrants.

British borns don't even visit temple on daily basis leave aside doing Seva.

So when the old generation retires new lot of settlers will take over.

1 hour ago, singhbj singh said:

From what I have seen, Gurdwara's in UK were built & are maintained by emigrants.

British borns don't even visit temple on daily basis leave aside doing Seva.

So when the old generation retires new lot of settlers will take over.

British borns attend Gurdwara more nowadays and do lots of seva, especially in the Midlands. Maybe not daily, but many go to Gurdwara before going to work and also when they come back depending on their timescales and at weekend. At nagar Kirtans and samagams, it's the youngsters that do a lot of seva. 

The same has been happening over the years, even the elders were youngsters once and probably attended less daily but more at weekends. 

11 hours ago, simran345 said:

British borns attend Gurdwara more nowadays and do lots of seva, especially in the Midlands. Maybe not daily, but many go to Gurdwara before going to work and also when they come back depending on their timescales and at weekend. At nagar Kirtans and samagams, it's the youngsters that do a lot of seva. 

The same has been happening over the years, even the elders were youngsters once and probably attended less daily but more at weekends. 

Bheinji whose attending daily Diwaan, doing Seva with hoover & cleaning kitchen utensils, oh let me guess Indians !

13 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

Bheinji whose attending daily Diwaan, doing Seva with hoover & cleaning kitchen utensils, oh let me guess Indians !

Paji it's the youngsters grandparents that came here years ago, remember, who also went through the same process. Yep the elders who have time and don't go to work or are probably retired now. How do you expect youngsters to do daily seva when they have to work to make a living or go to colleges and universities.  Gurdwaras hired granthis, who also did the seva. 

I don't know which part of Uk you are from, but the Gurdwaras we know of the youngsters have a lot of sharda.  

How many you see doing that in India Gurdwaras? It's the same, in the pind Gurdwaras. But its easier there for youngsters as they don't have full time jobs like here. Even if they do kheti, they can negotiate time out as they're not working for somebody else, it's family run. So see the difference? And the same people you're on about, are probably the same that don't let the youngsters do seva, which happened with me a few times when I was a younger. 

Edited by simran345

Each of us have same time 24hours a day.

How we choose to spend them is up to us.

Those who do Seva are rewarded, those who don't give excuses.

6 minutes ago, singhbj singh said:

Each of us have same time 24hours a day.

How we choose to spend them is up to us.

Those who do Seva are rewarded, those who don't give excuses.

And who are you to judge somebody's seva? Maybe you should focus on your own!

On 09/03/2017 at 6:49 PM, pavitarsin said:

"Koi bhul chuk maaf"

(Koi bhul chuk maaf)

I have seen such couple of incidences myself.

A paathi singh during akhand paath in one of our friends families talking about how women also want sex . I was like <banned word filter activated> . he was sitting in other room with other "paathi singhs" .

Second, this old man with white beard who is watchman of gurudwara asked me for beer as party lol .

Seriously, I think better than these type of "amritdharis", I feel its better to be a mona sikh and have sikhi in your heart. Atleast you're not being a hypocrite that way 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Topics

• Maybe with your karma you were probably supposed to be expelled that day; and Vaheguru took that out. Sorry but there are 3 types of Karma: The Karma in your bank account, (which must be used, may be destroyed with Gur-Prassad), The Karma that you MUST pay in this life, (No exception, but can be reduced with Gur-Prassad), and the Karma that you will accumulate in this life; that should be payed in life, (may or may not be forgiven). Your Bhagti and Ardas could have decreased the debt that you were suppose to pay in this life, by merely failing the test, instead of failing. This is what separates from every other Monotheistic religions; except Sikhi; and that is we believe in Karma; and how we are different from the other Dharmic Faiths is we believe in grace and mercy; (Sikhi is a universal region; only referred it as Dharmic due to location of founding). You probably studied enough to pass; but all Karma that must be paid is paid either in full; or Guru Sahib takes your bad Karma for you and says take it away. This isn't gurbani, but we read it during Ardas: "Nanak Naam Jahaz Hai, Chade So Uttre Paar O Nanak, the name of Waheguru is like a ship which will take You to Your salvation (Take You across the ocean of life) Jo Sharda Kare Sevde, Gur Paar Uttaran Hor The ones who preach Waheguru’s name in their hearts, He takes those to their salvation Gur Paar Uttaran Hor He takes those to their salvation"
    • https://gurbaninow.com/shabad/1451/17118
    • Ok so you didn't pass your test. But you can hardly blame God for that. Even though you put in a lot of work, I understand that, but maybe it wasn't enough, otherwise you would have passed right?  This is the thing, we tend to do paat to receive something. I'm not saying don't ask Waheguru for anything, because they are the only one that will bless and even I do ardas to them for help at times. But what I'm saying is, if you didn't receive what you wished for, don't be upset with Waheguru too much with the result, maybe there's a diversion coming in your life or it wasn't that you were to pass it because of something else or another opportunity. This time of sadness will pass too, it's normal to feel this way. I read somewhere once, God gives us what we need, not what we desire. I'm still trying to think of how this relates to my life too.  What's done is done now and it can't be reversed. Now you have to think what to do next, what are your other options. But first you should relax take a break and not keep dwelling on what's happened. Think positive that something good is in store in the future. I know this sounds weird, but one hasn't seen their future, you shouldn't predict your present on your future.   
    • Thank you everybody, but I still feel sad, not because I didn't get what I wanted but I feel sad with mahraj ji. what I wanted was to pass a test that ive been trying so hard for, I have done path too especially dedicated to this and ardas and on the day I even took a cyber hukamnama and it was really positive cant remember it exactly, it was something like waheguru ji gives you what you wish for (I just read the translations).... and today I was awake at amrit vela but I didn't get up to do my nitnem I stayed in bed and did simran, I just wanted to show mahraj ji that I am upset with him a little bit, just as I would do to show my mum ...... I don't know if gods feeling anything  or just doesn't care lol
    • there is a lot of iron in dal and beans especially BLACK BEANS   if you want to learn indian cooking  watch Sanjay on VAHREHVAH.COM   ...food always turns out great and he is a bit enthuastic . Recommend watching the following channels to get more info : mic.the Vegan (gives the science papers) John McDougall (Doctor - starch solution) Vegsource (all the plant based docs and info) Vegan style cooking (aussie lady showing various dishes )   Interesting for health topics : Diverse Health Services Dr John Bergman