Guest daasi

coconut and depression

jkvlondon    3,536
25 minutes ago, sikhni777 said:

They sort out the problem in the short term. After the patient comes off them, then they stop working and the patient gets the same feelings back, sometimes even worse. This is when they are most likely to resort to suicidal thoughts. Time heals depression the best. Everyone can get depressed at any time of their lives. Prevention is the best cure. Always aim to lead a balanced life and take time to eat and relax. Learn to recognise the early signs and do something about it like change of routine before it gets worse. Better still - read a good book or scan the internet to understand what depression really is.

sometimes depression is caused by blood chemistry imbalances , need to investigate whole body health not just the brain

if the cause is situational nothing taken is going to fix the depression , need to deal with aggravating factors and eliminate them , the only magic bullet is naam not the pills docs tell you to pop

• Like 2

simran345    2,471
2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

sometimes depression is caused by blood chemistry imbalances , need to investigate whole body health not just the brain

if the cause is situational nothing taken is going to fix the depression , need to deal with aggravating factors and eliminate them , the only magic bullet is naam not the pills docs tell you to pop

Penji Jkvlondon, what are the tests that one should ask their docs to do, apart from the normal blood count? Would be beneficial if you could enlighten of any other tests that may help diagnose in blood chemistry imbalances you've mentioned, as I only know of vitamin D studies, and B12 that aren't normally tested in UK.? 

Edited by simran345

jkvlondon    3,536
2 hours ago, simran345 said:

Penji Jkvlondon, what are the tests that one should ask their docs to do, apart from the normal blood count? Would be beneficial if you could enlighten of any other tests that may help diagnose in blood chemistry imbalances you've mentioned, as I only know of vitamin D studies, and B12 that aren't normally tested in UK.? 

you could ask to have a full panel done which would check iron, b12, hormones, D etc, etc

• Like 1

simran345    2,471
2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

you could ask to have a full panel done which would check iron, b12, hormones, D etc, etc

Thank you JKVlondon penji. Is full panel the same as a full blood count? Our docs don't include the iron, b12 and D in them, so confused to if it's called the same. 

jkvlondon    3,536
7 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Thank you JKVlondon penji. Is full panel the same as a full blood count? Our docs don't include the iron, b12 and D in them, so confused to if it's called the same. 

you insist with your doctor especially as your health is compromised. Blood count is just count of blood components , you need more info than that because your health is more than just your blood counts, it's your endocrine system, blood sugars , mineral levels , vitamin D is a hormone produced by the body if it is low can have many knock-on affects. 

• Like 1

dallysingh101    1,585
18 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Also get your thyroids checked. 

These are some of the tests you might want to get done:

• HBA1C (to check blood sugar levels)
  • Thyroid (checks thyroid hormone levels)
  • FBC (Full blood count - checks the components of your blood i.e. white blood cell count, red blood cell count etc.)
  • B12 
  • Vit D
  • Bone density tests (to check calcium levels of bones)

You might have to push for some of these as the NHS is trying to save money. If you're lucky the doctor might do all of them, but they might not.

Good luck bhen ji!

But overall, don't stress too much about these things as that causes problems in itself. 

• Like 1

simran345    2,471
45 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

you insist with your doctor especially as your health is compromised. Blood count is just count of blood components , you need more info than that because your health is more than just your blood counts, it's your endocrine system, blood sugars , mineral levels , vitamin D is a hormone produced by the body if it is low can have many knock-on affects. 

Thanks penji, I've had most of them done, but will ask my doc to do more as u mentioned. 

32 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Also get your thyroids checked. 

These are some of the tests you might want to get done:

• HBA1C (to check blood sugar levels)
  • Thyroid (checks thyroid hormone levels)
  • FBC (Full blood count - checks the components of your blood i.e. white blood cell count, red blood cell count etc.)
  • B12 
  • Vit D
  • Bone density tests (to check calcium levels of bones)

You might have to push for some of these as the NHS is trying to save money. If you're lucky the doctor might do all of them, but they might not.

Good luck bhen ji!

But overall, don't stress too much about these things as that causes problems in itself. 

Thank you paji Dally, that's a good list you've made. I've had all them done but one which I will ask my doc to do. You are right they don't do all of them because of funding, unless they think a patient needs them. I always ask myself for them to do them, as people with any health condition need to push them a bit, as you said. 

Thank you ji for your blessings, I am going through a lot of stress at the moment, probably more than I can cope with, but you are right stress creates many problems and it's not worth it. 

Edited by simran345

dallysingh101    1,585
3 hours ago, simran345 said:

Thanks penji, I've had most of them done, but will ask my doc to do more as u mentioned. 

Thank you paji Dally, that's a good list you've made. I've had all them done but one which I will ask my doc to do. You are right they don't do all of them because of funding, unless they think a patient needs them. I always ask myself for them to do them, as people with any health condition need to push them a bit, as you said. 

Thank you ji for your blessings, I am going through a lot of stress at the moment, probably more than I can cope with, but you are right stress creates many problems and it's not worth it. 

Bhen ji, try and turn that dukh into daru. 

I think these stressful times come and go. Tell yourself that this period wont last forever. I've always found my simran gets more deeper when I'm suffering myself. That's one positive from it.

Keep your head up sister!! You're not alone.

• Like 3

simran345    2,471
1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

Bhen ji, try and turn that dukh into daru. 

I think these stressful times come and go. Tell yourself that this period wont last forever. I've always found my simran gets more deeper when I'm suffering myself. That's one positive from it.

Keep your head up sister!! You're not alone.

Thanks Dally paji, your words have helped me today. I've been through worse than this, but for some reason maybe due to getting older, it feels harder to deal with than when I was younger. Probably was stronger then, but you'd think I'd be used to it by now and be able to cope. 

Yes, you are right it will pass. I'm like you too, but it's harder to focus properly on simran when health is not as good. For that the mind must be strong, but when a physical illness affects one, then the mind weakens too. And it doesn't seem as fulfilling to the soul. 

Hanji I know I'm not alone, there's probably somebody worse than me, so I should take your words into account and work on accepting God's will. Thank you for the motivating words of hope. 

Edited by simran345
  • Like 2

jkvlondon    3,536
46 minutes ago, pardesanbibbi2 said:

Cocoanut music is fine but the oil is nothing but saturated fat therefore bad for weight control and (the LDLs) cholesterol. 

bhain ji  we don't eat meat mainly so a little saturated fat in form of grassfed butter and a little coconut , cholestrol is necessary for healthy hormones , skin, hair etc ...the link between saturated fats and heartattacks has been laid to rest by science 

http://www.drbriffa.com/2014/08/01/more-evidence-that-modifying-cholesterol-does-not-necessarily-have-broad-benefits-for-health/

http://www.drbriffa.com/2014/08/15/evidence-links-higher-cholesterol-with-lower-risk-of-death-in-older-individuals/

http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/01/15/two-major-studies-conclude-that-saturated-fat-does-not-cause-heart-disease/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/08/31/saturated-fats-heart-disease.aspx

dallysingh101    1,585
32 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

I'd say carbs are bigger villains than poor old, vilified saturated churbhee!

jkvlondon    3,536
Just now, dallysingh101 said:

I'd say carbs are bigger villains than poor old, vilified saturated churbhee!

just read a paper showing what happens if you replaced the sat fat with carbs all CVD markers rise, inflammation increases , risks of diabetes, strokes etc increases.

dallysingh101    1,585
6 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

just read a paper showing what happens if you replaced the sat fat with carbs all CVD markers rise, inflammation increases , risks of diabetes, strokes etc increases.

If this is true, what are we to make of the medical establishment's dietary advice over the last few decades? Could they have got it so wrong? 

jkvlondon    3,536
15 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

If this is true, what are we to make of the medical establishment's dietary advice over the last few decades? Could they have got it so wrong? 

yep think about it if people buy the new carb rich low fat franken foods from Big Food and get then get cancers CVD, diabetes then big Pharma can sell their meds and procedures at inflated prices to hospitals  then big Insurance charge large premiums to the people so people get done over three ways . They knew fifty years ago  but didn't care it's all about the money honey as they say.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• I just wanted to make a quick point because Sant jarnail Singh khalsa bhindranwale is not shaheed he is in chardi Kala this was uttered by Mahapurakh Sant baba thakur singh Jee who was a complete soul and gurmukh
    • the fact that he was given an offer of one arb Dollars and guaranteed citizenship of ANY nation along with any or all of his folks if he  would only vacate and leave Harmandir Sahib complex to the army i.e. to let them do what they will ...this offer was delivered by soldiers and every single one decided to stay with Sant ji when he refused the offer ...this was explained in the dusht Brar's book so must be true as why would he do Sant ji any favours? Sant Kartar SIngh ji Bhindrawale knew what was to happen and would have made his proteges all strong in parchaar and told them to take hosh as well as josh path 
    • Who else agrees that the Gurmukhi encoded script is in desperate need of work? By work I mean proper encoding of the script for web use. Working on various fonts and having a standard font system et al. I see Arabic/Devanagari done so well, but of course their populations exceed ours. However, even Hebrew has been done so well.

I thank the Sikhs and Unicode who have initially encoded the Gurmukhi script, but I personally think we need to develop it further with different styles and expressing it through various forms if we want to keep it alive. I guess tackling this issue will involve some cleaning up of the alphabets themselves (why have the alphabets become so rounded?) - we can do this by taking some inspiration from Sharada/Lahnda (parent systems from which Gurmukhi has evolved from) and also Devanagari. Also the sehari/behari placement needs designation as well, its all over the place from all the fonts I've seen. We would also need to designate a font for several writing styles e.g., cursive, standard header, body text, calligraphic - because we clearly have no output for Gurmukhi at the present moment in the mentioned styles.  If there are any computer programmers and designers among us, I'm willing to join in and help develop new fonts/styles for the Gurmukhi script.
    • The analogy is so true! Great introspection man.