Abandoned WIves - another cosh to beat sikhs with?

jkvlondon

On 28/02/2017 at 3:25 PM, jkvlondon said:

While I am glad that our Bibian are organising to support abandoned wives , why is it only sikh wives who seem to be highlighted by this article when I'm sure it is happening throughout India especially in neighbouring Haryana too?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-39058436

It may be worth watching the episode of Inside Out this article is written about on the BBC Iplayer, the women in the documentary are not just Sikh but Hindu and Muslim as well.

What does come across is the state of the Indian legal system when these women want a divorce from the husbands that have abandoned them, it's a mess, the husbands have to be there for it to happen and the likelihood of that id pretty slim, there need's to be some legal recourse in the country the man is from (or woman dependant on who's pulled the fast one).

To me it doesn't come across as "Sikh Bashing", it's a problem in our and other communities and need's to be rectified, i'd say education is the key but sometimes that just doesn't work, no matter how hard you try.

2 hours ago, kcmidlands said:

It may be worth watching the episode of Inside Out this article is written about on the BBC Iplayer, the women in the documentary are not just Sikh but Hindu and Muslim as well.

What does come across is the state of the Indian legal system when these women want a divorce from the husbands that have abandoned them, it's a mess, the husbands have to be there for it to happen and the likelihood of that id pretty slim, there need's to be some legal recourse in the country the man is from (or woman dependant on who's pulled the fast one).

To me it doesn't come across as "Sikh Bashing", it's a problem in our and other communities and need's to be rectified, i'd say education is the key but sometimes that just doesn't work, no matter how hard you try.

it has been advertised in various places and only mentions sikh and punjabi in the blurb under the title .cmon up until 2013 marital rape did not exist on the statute books you are hoping a lot from the misogynistic majority

2 hours ago, kcmidlands said:

You need to wake up to the wider longer game being played with Sikhs in the UK media. It constantly (but subtly) 'bashes' at all opportunities, when SIkhs exert themselves for some cause that the white establishment doesn't agree with like grooming, 1984, Khalistan, Anand Karaj for Sikhs only etc. etc. they will work in subtle undermining digs. However, if we are highlighting something that they don't feel threatened by, like langar, or Sikhs fighting for whites in the world wars, it's all praises. 

8 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

it has been advertised in various places and only mentions sikh and punjabi in the blurb under the title .cmon up until 2013 marital rape did not exist on the statute books you are hoping a lot from the misogynistic majority

Maybe I am hoping a lot, but as a father of young daughter's all i can to is try and educate the future generation and hope that they don't mess up the way we have.

8 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

You need to wake up to the wider longer game being played with Sikhs in the UK media. It constantly (but subtly) 'bashes' at all opportunities, when SIkhs exert themselves for some cause that the white establishment doesn't agree with like grooming, 1984, Khalistan, Anand Karaj for Sikhs only etc. etc. they will work in subtle undermining digs. However, if we are highlighting something that they don't feel threatened by, like langar, or Sikhs fighting for whites in the world wars, it's all praises. 

I am wide awake and more than aware of how the media treat minorities, I used to work for the BBC and am well aware of what there internal politics are like and how they choose what is newsworthy but i could sit here all day and moan about how the white man did us and is still doing us wrong, that ain't gonna fix anything. At the end of it all,  if problem's exist in out community i really don't care how they are highlighted we need to fix them, some stuff that goes on is an embarrassment to Sikhi and the wider community yet we complain when someone bring's it out in front of the general masses, if we've got dirt laundry we need to clean it not complain that the media is picking on us.

I think we all have our own opinions about stuff like this, some people want to focus on the fact that a negative aspect of out community has been highlighted, other's like me, who know someone who's been through this very thing take a more personal view on the matter and feel we should highlight it and try to fix it.

4 hours ago, kcmidlands said:

Maybe I am hoping a lot, but as a father of young daughter's all i can to is try and educate the future generation and hope that they don't mess up the way we have.

I am wide awake and more than aware of how the media treat minorities, I used to work for the BBC and am well aware of what there internal politics are like and how they choose what is newsworthy but i could sit here all day and moan about how the white man did us and is still doing us wrong, that ain't gonna fix anything. At the end of it all,  if problem's exist in out community i really don't care how they are highlighted we need to fix them, some stuff that goes on is an embarrassment to Sikhi and the wider community yet we complain when someone bring's it out in front of the general masses, if we've got dirt laundry we need to clean it not complain that the media is picking on us.

I think we all have our own opinions about stuff like this, some people want to focus on the fact that a negative aspect of out community has been highlighted, other's like me, who know someone who's been through this very thing take a more personal view on the matter and feel we should highlight it and try to fix it.

In the end. This problem can ONLY really get sorted out if people back home become more astute and prudent with their actions and not act desperately to get abroad. 

This issue here is only one of many symptoms of this weakness. Diaspora folk have tried talking to relatives, and making videos warning people that life is not always some cushy utopia abroad, but our lot don't listen. 

Yes, this is all directly linked to economics back home. Again, it's the people in the pends back home that continually vote Badal in which further knocks down the economy. Then many are too proud to do the graft they would do here, back there. 

It's like grooming really. Perverts will always be there, our job is to not make their lives easier by making dumb decisions. 

There is very little diaspora people can do in this case other than name and shame and ostracise. Other than that, the onus is on people back home to be more prudent with life-changing decisions involving their children.

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi
21 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

And to elevate themselves in their little social circle. When they encourage one of their friends to divorce or something similar, they realise on some level that the woman who's receiving their words of wisdom will find herself greatly disadvantaged, and that will lower her status amongst her group whilst simultaneously raising theirs. It's incredibly twisted and malevolent mind games. 

Why only women. Don't men play such mind games on each other as well. Wickedness is not sole preserve of females .

Maybe women are sick of millenia of patriarchy. I m too. Straight men have way too much power. Historically they hv been responsible for wars and killing. When was the last time you saw a rioting mob of women. 

15 minutes ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Why only women. Don't men play such mind games on each other as well. Wickedness is not sole preserve of females .

Maybe women are sick of millenia of patriarchy. I m too. Straight men have way too much power. Historically they hv been responsible for wars and killing. When was the last time you saw a rioting mob of women. 

I see a transgender case potentially happening before my very eyes here.... lol 

2 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

This is not a political issue but one concerning psychology, sociology, and perhaps biology. Read up on male and female behaviour patterns. There are always exceptions, because humans cannot be nearly categorised, and there are always outliers that buck trends. It's a matter of extrapolating what has been proven and applying it to current society in its many forms. How you've managed to compare a micro situation - the subtle minutae of the dynamics between the members of a same-sex group of friends - and compare it to a macro situation of a war between countries is mind-boggling. I had you down as someone who was smarter than the kind of stuff you've posted above. You're letting your resentment towards established societal norms cloud your judgement.