Man shouting 'get out of my country' shoots dead Indian engineer 'because he thought he was Middle Eastern'

dallysingh101

Man shouting 'get out of my country' shoots dead Indian engineer 'because he thought he was Middle Eastern'

Adam Purinton alleged to have uttered racist slurs before opening fire at Austin's Bar and Grill in Olathe, killing Srinivas Kuchibhotla and injuring patrons Alok Madasani and Ian Grillot

adam-purinton.jpg

A Kansas man has been charged with shooting dead an Indian man and wounding another Indian man and an American in a bar, in a suspected hate crime.

Adam Purinton, 51, was charged in Johnson County, Kansas, with one count of premeditated first degree murder and two counts of attempted premeditated first degree murder, Johnson County District Attorney Stephen Howe told a news conference.

Purinton is accused of shooting and killing Srinivas Kuchibhotla, 32, and wounding Alok Madasani, also 32, in the Austins Bar and Grill in Olathe, Kansas, on Wednesday evening, according to a statement from the Olathe Police Department.

At least one bystander told the Kansas City Star that the man shouted "get out of my country" before shooting the Indian men. He is also accused of wounding American Ian Grillot, 24, who was shot when he tried to intervene, the Kansas City Star reported.

Witnesses told the Kansas City Star and The Washington Post that Purinton was thought to have been kicked out the bar Wednesday night before the shooting took place. “He seemed kind of distraught,” Garret Bohnen, a regular at Austin’s who was there that night told The Washington Post in an interview. “He started drinking pretty fast.”

He reportedly came back into the bar and hurled racial slurs at the two Indian men, including comments that suggested he thought they were of Middle Eastern descent. When he started firing shots, Grillot, a regular at the bar whom Bohnen called “everyone’s friend,” intervened.

Two officials from the Indian consulate in Houston were going to Kansas to meet the injured men and police to "ascertain more details of the incident and monitor follow up action," Indian Ministry of External Affairs spokesman Vikas Swarup said in a statement.

Witnesses told The Washington Post that Purinton was thought to have been kicked out the bar Wednesday night before the shooting took place. “He seemed kind of distraught,” Garret Bohnen, a regular at Austin’s who was there that night told Post in an interview. “He started drinking pretty fast.”

He reportedly came back into the bar and hurled racial slurs at the two Indian men, including comments that suggested he thought they were of Middle Eastern descent. When he started firing shots, Grillot, a regular at the bar whom Bohnen called “everyone’s friend,” intervened.

"I am shocked at the shooting incident in Kansas in which Srinivas Kuchibhotla has been killed. My heartfelt condolences to bereaved family," Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj said in a Tweet.

The US embassy in New Delhi condemned the shooting.

"The United States is a nation of immigrants and welcomes people from across the world to visit, work, study, and live," US Charge d'Affaires MaryKay Carlson said in a statement.

"US authorities will investigate thoroughly and prosecute the case, though we recognise that justice is small consolation to families in grief."

Howe would not elaborate on the details of the incident or the motive for the shooting.

"We want to be able to be sure about our facts versus speculation. So we are not prepared at this point to talk about the particular facts of the case because this is still very fresh," Howe said.

Kavipriya Muthuramalingam, a friend and former colleague of the shooting victim, has raised more than $250,000 via a crowd-funding website to help his family with funeral and other expenses.

"This came as an incredible shock - as he is one of the most gentle, nicest human beings you would meet," Muthuramalingam said. "He was non-confrontational, non-controversial, easy-going, always smiling."

The killing led news bulletins in India and drew strong reactions on social media, amid growing concerns that US President Donald Trump's "America First" rhetoric on immigration and jobs has fuelled a climate of intolerance.

"Don't be shocked! Be angry! Trump is spreading hate. This is a hate crime! RIP #SrinivasKuchibhotla," Siddharth, a well known South Indian actor, tweeted to his 2.6 million followers.

Trump's election was welcomed at first by many in India who interpreted his calls to restrict immigration by Muslims as signalling support towards Hindu-majority India, which for decades has been at odds with Pakistan, its largely Muslim neighbour.

But the Trump administration also has skilled Indian workers like Kuchibhotla in mind as it considers curbing the H-1B visa program, worrying both India's $150 billion IT services industry and Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government.

Kuchibhotla's Facebook page, where he called himself "Srinu", said he joined Garmin in 2014 from Rockwell Collins. He took a master's in electronics from the University of Texas in El Paso from 2005-07, according to LinkedIn. He was married but had no children.

The FBI was investigating whether the incident was a hate crime.

"We are looking at whether the crime was committed via bias motivation. We are really at the preliminary stage at looking at every aspect," said Eric Jackson, special agent in charge of the FBI's Kansas City Field Office, during the news conference.

The US attorney office in Kansas and the US Department of Justice will also evaluate the case as more evidence is gathered, Tom Beall, acting U.S. attorney for the District of Kansas said, the Kansas City Star reported.

The United States saw a wave of hate crimes, including a spike in anti-immigrant incidents, during the first month after Trump's election in November, the Southern Poverty Law Centre reported.

Kuchibhotla and Madasani were engineers who worked at Garmin as members of the Aviation Systems Engineering team, the Star reported.

"We're saddened that two Garmin associates were involved in last night's incident, and we express our condolences to the family and friends of our co-workers involved," the company said in a statement, according to the newspaper.

The suspect fled from the bar on foot and was apprehended five hours later at an Applebeeâs in Clinton, Missouri, where he reportedly told an employee that he needed a place to hide out because he had just killed two Middle Eastern men, the Star reported.

Purinton, who was not armed, was arrested without incident, the newspaper reported.

Purinton, a Navy veteran, was being held on a $2 million bond in the Henry County Jail, where he waived his right to fight extradition to Johnson County, the paper reported.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/kansas-bar-shooting-murder-srinivas-kuchibhotl-racial-motivated-adam-purinton-prosecutors-austins-a7596846.html

Kansas bar shooter who shot dead Indian engineer 'believed he had killed two Iranians’, court hears

Barmaid's 911 call reveals police warned not to approach Austin's Bar and Grill with sirens blaring or suspect would 'freak out'

adam-purinton.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/kansas-bar-shooter-adam-purinton-killed-two-iranians-indian-olathe-henry-county-911-court-a7603751.html

Guest Jacfsing2
33 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

That's not a good excuse to kill someone innocent. I'm not a big fan of subcontinentals labels, middle easterners labels, goras labels, khalas labels, orientals labels, Hispanics labels, or whatever labels people give themselves. Not a fan of labeling people; however, that's not an excuse to be an indecent human being with no morals.

13 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

That's not a good excuse to kill someone innocent. I'm not a big fan of subcontinentals labels, middle easterners labels, goras labels, khalas labels, orientals labels, Hispanics labels, or whatever labels people give themselves. Not a fan of labeling people; however, that's not an excuse to be an indecent human being with no morals.

Only last week you was posting about how Sikhs are greater than other people, now you say this. Get some consistency going on mate. 

Guest Jacfsing2
1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

Only last week you was posting about how Sikhs are greater than other people, now you say this. Get some consistency going on mate. 

I still do believe that, but merely labelling people isn't going to help anyone. Even though I personally believe Sikhs are the best, if I go around telling Non-Sikhs that, then they'll never be influenced. (They got to understand that our lifestyle is superior to theirs, by showing them).

1 hour ago, Jacfsing2 said:

I still do believe that, but merely labelling people isn't going to help anyone. Even though I personally believe Sikhs are the best, if I go around telling Non-Sikhs that, then they'll never be influenced. (They got to understand that our lifestyle is superior to theirs, by showing them).

They'll say something like:

"If your lifestyle/society is so great, why so many of you over here looking for work?"

Guest Jacfsing2
18 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

"If your lifestyle/society is so great, why so many of you over here looking for work?"

You never seemed like the, "all religions are equal", type, but if you look at their lifestyle it's a bit boring, their life priorities are usually in the lower orders. Also Sikhs don't have a country, and in the land of Sikhs 40% are completely useless, (Hindus). Why does anyone go anywhere, money! If you asked a Christian what their Maryada is they won't have an answer, a Hindu will have a moderate Maryada, Muslims have diverse Maryadas, and a Sikh will have the best maryada. To add on, you het fools like this.

14 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

typical white privilege response ...I got to hear similar from my mother in law when discussing my Father's decision to go to England after qualifying as an engineer , I said a person is entitled to make their own decisions and journey through life towards self-improvement much like your daughter leaving Brasil to work in London then Amsterdam . Of course that was NOT the reason SIL went to Europe ... so delusional , so white  tell the brown people that can't exercise their choices freely (she implied that perhaps he was a traitor for not staying and improving his home country) whilst they themselves wander the globe ripping off other culture's richness/ideas and then claim they did it themselves. 

• 5 weeks later...