Jump to content

Recommended Posts

pavitarsin    3

While travelling through pakistan i came across these scriptures (pics attached) , can someone help me here with identifying these ? Are these of any historical or spiritual value to Sikhism ? (These are currently not in my possession, but with some Pakistani antique dealer) would it be worth getting these from him ?

Any help translating these would be much appreciated !!

 

 

 

Edited by pavitarsin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pavitarsin    3

These are from a different book from the same collection :

 

There are four books in total & I'm thinking about getting these & donating to a Sikh museum.

 

 

 

Edited by pavitarsin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5akaalsingh    87
On 2/23/2017 at 7:07 PM, pavitarsin said:

These are from a different book from the same collection :

 

There are four books in total & I'm thinking about getting these & donating to a Sikh museum.

IMG_20170201_210148.jpg

tmp_11017-IMG_20170201_2101481816065148.jpg

IMG_20170201_210138.jpg

From what I see, there is a pic of Shri Guru Hargobind Sahib. Maybe it is a pothi of Gurbilas Patshahi Shevin or something related. If I were you I would never let this opportunity get away. You should buy it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pavitarsin    3
On 02/26/2017 at 8:23 PM, 5akaalsingh said:

From what I see, there is a pic of Shri Guru Hargobind Sahib. Maybe it is a pothi of Gurbilas Patshahi Shevin or something related. If I were you I would never let this opportunity get away. You should buy it. 

Yea, I'm in the process of buying these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pavitarsin    3
On 03/07/2017 at 10:13 AM, Preeet said:

That is Sri Varaha Avtar in the first photo. That's all I understand.

I think it says baerha avtar !

tmp_16362-IMG_20170201_210010_011779183148.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jkvlondon    3,467

story the Varaha Avtar , from this it is clear that the devte had too trigger happy krodh , so were really stuck in maya too

and it is interesting to note that they considered human birth as inferior when Gurbani tells us that they envy human birth as we have the ability to do bhagti and serve Akal Purakh...hmm

http://www.importantindia.com/2693/varaha-avatar-story/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pavitarsin    3

Aw okayy, thanks for replying guys, i just recieved one "pothi" by courier, I'll try to take a better look, & scan and upload better pages.

Edited by pavitarsin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jacfsing2    1,884
On 3/9/2017 at 6:36 AM, jkvlondon said:

story the Varaha Avtar , from this it is clear that the devte had too trigger happy krodh , so were really stuck in maya too

and it is interesting to note that they considered human birth as inferior when Gurbani tells us that they envy human birth as we have the ability to do bhagti and serve Akal Purakh...hmm

http://www.importantindia.com/2693/varaha-avatar-story/

What's happy Krodh? But I can guess why the artist would depict him, it represents sin and how he's lost and trying to find Vaheguru somehow. (Just my interpretation, don't know if this was from the Ranjit Singh kingdom as there were a lot of Hinduized Sikh practices at the time).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MAN, please possess them ! I am willing to PAY ! But just get these in a sikh museum . Please don't keep with yourself forever lol.

They seem historical ! It will be of value to us I think , as a community 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jkvlondon    3,467
8 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

What's happy Krodh? But I can guess why the artist would depict him, it represents sin and how he's lost and trying to find Vaheguru somehow. (Just my interpretation, don't know if this was from the Ranjit Singh kingdom as there were a lot of Hinduized Sikh practices at the time).

'trigger happy' in other words quick to trip into Krodh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jkvlondon    3,467
5 hours ago, Preeet said:

I read the site and it left out so much from the story.. Like where they were given a choice to be born as Sri Vishnu's foes (less rebirths) or friends (more births); and they chose foes because it meant that theyd be separated for less births from Sri Vishnu rather than the other option.

That is so illogical if you are saying Vishnu is a good guy ...it is like saying if you are friends with a good man you are going to be punished by Akal Purakh whereas if you are a good man's enemy you with get rewarded by Akal Purakh ..It is irrelevant to a sikh however as just need to put a name to a face ....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't get entangled or criticizing of three dieties of hinduism : brahma vishnu shiva

In words of Mazumdar , a bengali hindu historian

Quote

Its most notable expression is to be found in the theological conception of the Trimūrti, i.e., the manifestation of the supreme God in three forms of Brahmā, Viṣṇu, and Śiva... But the attempt cannot be regarded as a great success, for Brahmā never gained an ascendancy comparable to that of Śiva or Viṣṇu, and the different sects often conceived the Trimūrti as really the three manifestations of their own sectarian god, whom they regarded as Brahman or Absolute.[12]

Who 's this supreme god that vedas speak of ?

its known as "brahm" or "parbrahm" , same words SGGS used as well numerous times.

Our hindu brothers got confused on this one ! If you ask a vaishnav brother who's the supreme god, he will say vishnu. 

If you ask a shaivite who's the supreme god, he will say shiva . No one worships brahma btw ! 

I had read little on english translation of 10 major upanishads . Upanishads are like embedded texts within vedas . Like how sukhmani sahib is embedded in SGGS.

One of the foremost ones , Katha upanishad says
 

Quote

 

This is that eternal Asvattha Tree with its root above and branches below. That root, indeed, is called the Bright; That is Brahman and That alone is the Immortal. In That all worlds are contained and none can pass beyond. This, verily, is That.

2) Whatever there is—the whole universe—vibrates because it has gone forth from Brahman, which exists as its Ground. That Brahman is a great terror, like a poised thunderbolt. Those who know It become immortal.

3) From terror of Brahman, fire burns; from terror of It, the sun shines; from terror of It, Indra and Vayu and Death, the fifth, run.


 

This sounds quite familiar to gurbani "Bhae vich agan ... bhae vich ... " (so sorry don't remember the full shabad). 

Ignorance comes because people don't want to understand their own scriptures 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jacfsing2    1,884
8 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

MAN, please possess them ! I am willing to PAY ! But just get these in a sikh museum . Please don't keep with yourself forever lol.

They seem historical ! It will be of value to us I think , as a community 

In this world, of not having a Khalistan or Theocratic Punjab, I'd avoid just putting it in a museum owned by Indian lands. Most Punjabis now have been to desensitized to even support maintaining anything Sikh related. If you were to go to Nankana, you'd see none of the historical things that were there before, (such as Guru Sahib's kitchen, Guru Sahib's utensils, or even his home, which they destroyed to build a Gurdwara). There are non-religious things owned by non-sikhs that still stayed the same for thousands of years, and we Sikhs change everything in a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jacfsing2 said:

In this world, of not having a Khalistan or Theocratic Punjab, I'd avoid just putting it in a museum owned by Indian lands. Most Punjabis now have been to desensitized to even support maintaining anything Sikh related. If you were to go to Nankana, you'd see none of the historical things that were there before, (such as Guru Sahib's kitchen, Guru Sahib's utensils, or even his home, which they destroyed to build a Gurdwara). There are non-religious things owned by non-sikhs that still stayed the same for thousands of years, and we Sikhs change everything in a few years.

are there pics of guru sahibs' home ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I don't have a problem with the story itself being posted, it allows for discussion of issues within the community. However what's up with your Christian comment: "Beware of the false prophet"? What are you alluding to?
    • 'Sikhs against the EDL' are too concerned for muslim and hindu matters for my liking, however, Balwinder Rana is right in saying that tommy robinson is just using our history to incite hatred between Sikhs and muslims in revenge for grooming white girls. That is obvious and it shouldn't even need to be repeated on these boards. Where was his concern for girls in our community when he was a member of the BNP and leader of the EDL? The goreh used 'divide and conquer' during colonial rule in Bharat/Hindustan (India) to remain in power. Despite Sikh efforts in WWI & II, they still discriminate and attack us (1984, hate crimes etc.) so never ever trust them. Imagine if the many goreh and Sikhs got their wish and the muslims were removed from the uk. The goreh would feel like their land has been reclaimed and the Sikhs may get some praise in return but that would soon be forgotten, just like history has already shown, and our community will remain anonymous with some still always eager to please, like a dog to its master. Don't forget we're not the only non-english community here. What about the muslims removed from the UK? With money and education, they could re-settle anywhere, maybe in areas with Sikh populations, in revenge for Sikhs in the uk colluding with the goreh. If those communities were untroubled before but starting experiencing the problems we currently have with grooming then what would be there to celebrate? I support the work of SYUK in making the community aware of grooming and I hope it continues but forming an alliance with  a former member of the BNP and EDL seems like desperation for greater recognition. Mohan Singh does good work for the community but I lost respect for him when he stood in a bana and recited the Sikh national anthem to the goreh, who all looked like football hooligans, before inciting hatred between them and muslims. He is representing Sikhs but that was, in my eyes, an embarrassment and not clever. This is how hate crimes can occur. All this takes is a fool to watch it online and decide to attack a brown man with a turban and beard, even though almost all muslims in the west do not wear a turban. Is 'Katy Sian' a muslim? She is no Sikh. If she claims otherwise, she is one of many sell-outs.
    • Other faiths don't have to deal in intense level of Ghadari like we have, nor do they have a problem with Non-disciples faking loyalty, both of these problems effect our people. O.P. could've said anything like "Indian guy caught", "Hindu-dressed like Sikh caught", "Muslim-dressed like Sikh caught", "Atheist-dressed like Sikh caught", but look at what Mr.RSS O.P. posted.
    • That seems like a good idea  Might try and purchase one on ebay. Alot Better then paying a monthly subscription if its free. 
    • What is wrong with posting this? It is right that this scum bag is exposed Just because you have a beard and wear a turban does not entitle you to be annoymous.  It is about time people woke up and judge a person by their actions instead of how they look.  He has tarnished the Sikh identity but lets not try and hide this under the carpet like other faiths do such as Christians and muslims.   
×