The Black Prince - New Film Based On Sikh Maharajah Duleep Singh

genie

15 hours ago, simran345 said:

Just got back from watching The Black Prince - Punjabi version. Originally went to watch the English version, but was totally sold out on getting there. So decided to watch the Punjabi version and we did, as connected to it easily, has subtitles in English too. English version was probably good too, as Tigerforce1 paji mentioned. 

It was superb, amazing, brilliant movie. Probably the best directed with Punjabi actor as main role I've ever seen. All the actors were great. It's not like the usual Punjabi or Bollywood movie. Was emotional and wish it was longer. 

Definetley a must to see, that's all I'm saying as I don't want to tell too much for those who still have to see it.  Satinder Sartaj was superb, they couldn't have chosen a better actor than him.

It's definitely worth seeing. 

I'm glad the movie lived up to your expectations penji.  I'll probably take my parents to watch the Punjabi version.

I couldn't fault the movie either.  The initial slow pace and the subdued character of Duleep Singh gave the viewer a real feel of emptiness and lack of purpose in his early life.  Whilst watching the start of the movie I felt that Sartaj may have been deliberately given limited dialogue because of the lack of acting experience but as the movie progressed and Duleep Singh became aware his faith and heritage you could see the confidence and awakening in his character.  This is what really impressed me about Sartaj because he totally had me fooled from the first impressions.  

I don't understand the negative reviews from Hindustan Times as I truly have not seen any Bollywood production that has approached any historical chapter with the sensitivity and serious approach and pulled it off in it's delivery.

I also had no idea that the budget was only 5 million as that kind of money in movie can be blown on just one set but I never felt that th movie was low budget as it ticked all the boxes such as script, dialogue, music, cinematography, costume, locations and big names personalities.

I definitely didn't feel short changed and most importantly for me the movie has awoken something inside of me and has given me feel of being alone, betrayed and homeless.  We possess everything yet have nothing.

3 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Was Sartaaj's acting any good? He's a brilliant lyricist and singer, but seems a bit subdued in personality. Did he light up the screen? 

I think I might have adhd (lol!) I don't know if I could sit through a slow film. 

Sartaj was the Duleep Singh for 2 hours.  I had my reservations and felt it was wrong to portray such an important event in Sikh history with a well known celebrity as he would overshadow such an important figure in history.  But believe me you forget who is actually playing the role.  He also sings a song in the backdrop of the movie 'dardan wala desh' it cuts you in two.  

Don't worry about the slow pace as it's been done this way on purpose and you will understand this when you later reflect on the movie.

For those whose appetite for history has been whet by the film, try reading the attached document, it contains the text of letters Maharani Jind Kaur sent to the brits begging them to return her son to her, it also gives details on how she was imprisoned by them. 

"Why do you take possession of the kingdom by underhand means? Why don't you do it openly? On one hand you make a show of friendship on the other you have put us in prison."

Maharani Jind Kaur

Three_Letters_Of_Maharani_Jind_Kaur_By_Dr_Ganda_Singh.pdf

2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

This is the type of film that should be on Netflix. 

Agree, I've watched some good movies and documentaries on it. Netflix has award winning movies, tv shows and documentaries and I class this movie as an award winning one. 

2 hours ago, TigerForce1 said:

I'll probably take my parents to watch the Punjabi version.

They will like it. In our showing, there were elders, middle aged, youth and babies. It's in Punjabi, but it still has that English that I wanted to experience. I told my mother about it today, and she's excited to see it too. 

but I never felt that th movie was low budget as it ticked all the boxes such as script, dialogue, music, cinematography, costume, locations and big names personalities.

Me too, thought this exactly. 

The initial slow pace and the subdued character of Duleep Singh gave the viewer a real feel of emptiness and lack of purpose in his early life.  

I know it's a bit slow at first, but that relaxed me, and it builds up to getting into the movie. Not like some, that are go, go, go from the start, that you miss what's going on. 

This is what really impressed me about Sartaj because he totally had me fooled from the first impressions.  

Yep. 

don't understand the negative reviews from Hindustan Times as I truly have not seen any Bollywood production that has approached any historical chapter with the sensitivity and serious approach and pulled it off in it's delivery.

I personally feel no Bollywood movie can compare to this one. It's in a different league. It didn't have that over desi feel to it. It will appeal a lot to those interested in Arts. It's not a taplo bakwas movie. But saying that, I feel it's appealed to all sorts of viewers, regardless of their personalities. So yeah, I've got no idea what they on about either. 

My thoughts about the movie are as same as yours paji. You've said what I also experienced. 

52 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Was Sartaaj's acting any good? He's a brilliant lyricist and singer, but seems a bit subdued in personality. Did he light up the screen? 

Paji, I thought he wouldn't be up to it when it first started, but I was wrong. Like Tigerforce1 paji says, he actually delivered really well. 

40 minutes ago, TigerForce1 said:

But believe me you forget who is actually playing the role.  He also sings a song in the backdrop of the movie 'dardan wala desh' it cuts you in two.  

@dallysingh101, as soon as I got home paji, I had a cup of tea and was straight onto the Internet to read about his life. Its made me want to read more about the history of that time. 

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

Read this extract from a letter by M. Jind Kaur. You can almost sense her desperation and pain at having her son taken away. It's sad. 

5976176d237b0_jindanquote.png.7db04f43628616ef5d5649a39bb52c31.png

On another thread singhnihk was taking about the 'gentle victorians', but this is what they were really like. 

Be careful when you are reading history about the time, a lot of it is whitewashed. Some goray like to talk about how civilised the were at the time but when you read contemporary literature of the time (i.e. Dickens, who is a favourite of mine), you see that there was all manner of cruelty taking place on the poor here in London. 

there were regular reports of the soldiers raping girls until  death etc and also think how they insulted sikhs by converting their chief's son introduced and encouraged him into the filthy habits of gambling, whoring  and drinking/smoking then marrying him off to a nejaiz aulad of muslimah african,  after promising him freedom and an allowance of which only half was ever paid thus inevitably he impoverished his family. His wife was unhappy as her sons were also encouraged to behave the same by their controllers , the daughters however seemed to be aware and wanted to rebel.

1 minute ago, jkvlondon said:

there were regular reports of the soldiers raping girls until  death etc and also think how they insulted sikhs by converting their chief's son introduced and encouraged him into the filthy habits of gambling, whoring  and drinking/smoking then marrying him off to a nejaiz aulad of muslimah african,  after promising him freedom and an allowance of which only half was ever paid thus inevitably he impoverished his family. His wife was unhappy as her sons were also encouraged to behave the same by their controllers , the daughters however seemed to be aware and wanted to know the true heritage they

I've read more than one contemporary account by goray (who were obviously watching him) explaining away his apparently 'profligate' behaviour as a trait he inherited from his father. 

They destroyed his mother's reputation (apparently she was the only one with the bollox to challenge them in Panjab):

5976312203f7a_jindanquote2.jpg.1348386dd8e2784fc08f2fc591169735.jpg

After hearing of the death of Maharani Jind Kaur, novelist Charles Dickens visited Kensal Green Cemetery to see the coffin of the lady whom the British Empire feared. Read his account of the visit from old publications...

In July 1863, writer and author Charles Dickens visited Kensal Green cemetery. A couple of weeks later  he heard that Maharani Jind Kaur died at Abingdon House and her service and temporary burial in the catacoomb of Kensal Green Dissenter's Chapel was arranged by her son Maharajah Duleep SIngh.

On the 19th September 1863, Charles Dickens wrote the following two remarks in his weekly journal "All the Year Round":

"I have read in the papers of the Indian Princess brought here the other day, and whose remains some of her Sikh servants wished to have burnt. The coffin was placed in the Dissenters' catacomb, and though a speech was delivered on the virtues of the deceased, the burial is described in the company's registery book by the words "no ceremony". It was a large funeral with many carriages."

Later in the article Dickens writes:

I asked to be taken to the Dissenters' catacomb, that I may see for myself the last resting place of the poor woman whose ashes have been squabbled over, and written on by Sikh and Christian. And down here, in a coffin covered with white velvet, and studded with brass and nails, rests the Indian dancing woman whose strong will and bitter emnity towards England caused Lord Dalhousie to say of her, when in exile, that she was the only person our government near feared. I place my hand on the coffin, and holding the candle obliquely, see a large gilt plate, whereon her name and titles are engraved."

Courtesy of Friends of Kensal Green Cemetery

http://duleepsingh.com/Articles/Article/23