KhalsaLover    8

Does anyone know any good tittles? I'm trying to learn more about Sikh History, Arts ( Gurmat Sangeet and Calligraphy etc) and Literature. I would prefer if it was written in English. Also Im interested in old paintings so if there is book full of them please let me know. Thanks 

Gur Fateh Ji. 

KhalsaLover    8
14 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

As with most history sources you've got to apply some critical thinking; discern the intentions of the author, etc., but taking that into account there's the two volumes on Sikh history by Khushwant Singh that are a good foundation for further reading. I was dissuaded from reading them for many years due to his apparent pro-India leanings, but after going through them quite recently, I think he does a more than admirable job of chronicling the origins and growth of our people.

He frames his research and his findings in a way that puts the achievements of our Guru Sahibs in a relatable historical and social context of those times, something that no giani I've listened to has ever managed, with the impression being - if your knowledge of Sikhi is exclusively gleaned from what's presented to us in a Gurdwara - that our Guru Sahibs existed in a rarefied, unattainable ether, whereas the reality was that they were of the people, and not just sitting on a throne passing down holy commands. They were (and are) divine, but they also understood and experienced the many facets of humanity. That's why we love them to this day, not because of a sense of servile awe at their supernatural abilities, but because they realised the Truth.

Thank you for the suggestions. I also was considering Khushwant Singh Ji but was a little doubtful about him due to his pro Indian activities ( may he Rest in Peace though). Are there  any other tittles or authors out there. 

MisterrSingh    2,802
5 hours ago, KhalsaLover said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I also was considering Khushwant Singh Ji but was a little doubtful about him due to his pro Indian activities ( may he Rest in Peace though). Are there  any other tittles or authors out there. 

There's many books on Amazon. Just search for them. Easy peasy. 

I vaguely recall a book was released a few years ago on Sikh art in the times of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. Might be worth a look.

• Like 1

MisterrSingh    2,802

If I may hijack this thread for a moment: are there any reputable books out there that analyse the goings on of M. Gandhi, Nehru, his descendants, and how they shaped India? All I can find are wistful, rose-tinted accounts of Indian life that are more travelogues than anything that gets to the nitty gritty of these personalities and their power games. Are there any such books? 

jkvlondon    3,409
8 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

If I may hijack this thread for a moment: are there any reputable books out there that analyse the goings on of M. Gandhi, Nehru, his descendants, and how they shaped India? All I can find are wistful, rose-tinted accounts of Indian life that are more travelogues than anything that gets to the nitty gritty of these personalities and their power games. Are there any such books? 

I was going to ask about the historian Harjinder singh dilgeer  as he seems to have covered sikh history up until now

MisterrSingh    2,802
34 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

The title's a bit on the nose, isn't it? Doesn't leave much to the imagination. When red-pilling a sleeping or a openly resistant population, or when trying to introduce ideas and concepts that run contrary to the official narrative, you can't barge in all guns blazing. You've got to do it softly softly. Saying that, it could be a good book. 

13Mirch    866

Jagjit Singh, part of the Ghadarite movement, and S. Kapur Singh are good authors. Their books not only cover the history of the Sikhs but also the ideological dynamics of the faith. 

dallysingh101    1,582
1 hour ago, 13Mirch said:

Jagjit Singh, part of the Ghadarite movement, and S. Kapur Singh are good authors. Their books not only cover the history of the Sikhs but also the ideological dynamics of the faith. 

Can I get Jagjit Singh's book on the Ghadar movement online (the English translation)?  

StarStriker    1,007
On 18/02/2017 at 6:59 AM, MisterrSingh said:

There's many books on Amazon. Just search for them. Easy peasy. 

I vaguely recall a book was released a few years ago on Sikh art in the times of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. Might be worth a look.

That would be this book, i bought it way back in late 90s frm the V&A museum, great great book!

IMAG0556_BURST001.jpg

• Like 1

13Mirch    866
2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Can I get Jagjit Singh's book on the Ghadar movement online (the English translation)?  

I am unsure as to that. Its a fantastic read though. It was commissioned by the Ghadarites themselves to dispel the nationalist myth that they were Marxist or pro Hindu Sabha (Arya Samaj and co).

13Mirch    866
5 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

The title's a bit on the nose, isn't it? Doesn't leave much to the imagination. When red-pilling a sleeping or a openly resistant population, or when trying to introduce ideas and concepts that run contrary to the official narrative, you can't barge in all guns blazing. You've got to do it softly softly. Saying that, it could be a good book. 

Dilgeer is a notorious turncoat and academically subjective i.e. his opinion is supposed to be God's own.

• Like 1

MisterrSingh    2,802
4 hours ago, StarStriker said:

That would be this book, i bought it way back in late 90s frm the V&A museum, great great book!

IMAG0556_BURST001.jpg

That's the one I was referring to. I recall a few of you guys saying it's an excellent book.

I think there's another one, too. There's a book that has a front cover showing Maharaja Ranjit Singh having his portrait painted at Darbar Sahib. I'm certain that book exists.