AjeetSinghPunjabi

i want to pledge 40 days sukhmani sahib but not able to bring myself to it

51 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Please do not fight amidst yourselves. Its the last thing i would want to see. Both views are correct. Those who said i should take daily baani as chore are speaking from a rehit point. Their point is valid. 

Those saying i should do it slow are speaking from prem point. Their point is valid too. So no need to fight please. ūüôā

They love each really ... kade kade bhain bhra vich hunda kardka 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, jkvlondon said:

They love each really ... kade kade bhain bhra vich hunda kardka 

05d.jpg

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Jacfsing2 said:

I genuinely have a similar view to you, that if we make a promise we should be expected to keep it; however, without first building Prem for Guru Sahib it is merely some checklist. I'd rather they take the slow route and grow rather than take the fast route and stay in one place; eventually, I'd hope they can keep their promises and much more.

Of course, prem is what brought the OP to this point though. If he did not have prem then he would not even think of paath as an option. He is struggling because of distractions though, and may he get past them.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Kira said:

People will go for the one that sounds the most flowery. This might help you a bit, read it, its in english but its really good and well written (its got some Sakhi from the life of Baba Nand Singh Ji. People will tell you to only ask for this or asking for that is bad. Just ask, as long as you ask with a pure mind, i.e both mind and speech are in sync, God will listen.

http://nanaksargurdwara.com/stages-ardaas 

Kira paji, that article is not opening for me. ¬†There's a grey box instead, as same with other articles from that list ūü§Ē

57 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Kira paji, that article is not opening for me. ¬†There's a grey box instead, as same with other articles from that list ūü§Ē

Are you using mobile or computer version?

29 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Are you using mobile or computer version?

Mobile paji. 

44 minutes ago, simran345 said:

Mobile paji. 

The link won't work on mobile, but anyone using mobile can read the same information from these:

20170217_053354_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_053437_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_053458_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_053707_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_053848_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_053907_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_053932_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054007_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054046_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054118_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054152_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054211_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054327_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054340_HDR_Film1.jpg

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

The link won't work on mobile, but anyone using mobile can read the same information from these:

20170217_053354_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_053437_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_053458_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_053707_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_053848_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_053907_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_053932_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054007_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054046_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054118_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054152_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054211_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054327_HDR_Film1.jpg

20170217_054340_HDR_Film1.jpg

Thank you Jacfsingh2 paji for ur time and effort to do this. Very much appreciated. ūüĆľ

17 hours ago, sikhni777 said:

Satnaam - his name is truth. Everything else is false only the name of the creator is true. So what does this mean....

For you it means this - this body is false, all your desires are false, all your feelings are false, all your thoughts are false. 

So what is true - the truth is God did not create the soul as male or female. God created everyone with a purpose. The main purpose was naam simran. When this body will pass away - nothing will be left but you a little soul - without a body. Who will guide you then ? His name will. However if you are still stuck in thoughts of shall I get married or not ? shall I have sex or not ? Shall i have children or not ? 

Well those thoughts are what will be left with you when you leave your body. When will that be ? It could be any time. No one knows how much time we have left. Would you like to come back and still have to live on this earth with all its problems starring you at the face?

Whatever your past sins - naam is powerful enough to burn them. However you need to turn to naam first. Slowly in time - naam will bear fruit. Thoughts of your sexuality, marriage etc will start to evaporate and you will realise that you are a soul sent here with a mission. Perhaps you will realise your sexuality to be a blessing for you. Naam brings brings blessings to all - however you need to get down to practising it first. 

It is fine to just do a few asatpadies of Sukhmani sahib as a starter. Speed comes with time. Devote half an hour or an hour everyday at the same time. if you workout - you can listen to the kirtan version of sukhmani. You can decide alternatively to read each astpadi like 5 times instead. This means you are repeating it and will find it easier as time goes by. In a month you will have read each astpadi 5 times... this means your confidence in reading the bani will increase too. 

An epic post! 

You can do 10 astpadis daily instead of whole paath. But i find if i do the whole paath even if without concentration, i feel better at the end of it. 

And we should be making an effort to discipline our mind so keep tryinv to do the whole paath and fight to keep ur mind in the present, on the meanings. If ur tongue gets tired from doing paath, ahh wat a blessing! Is there any more shubh karam?

But u might want to switch: 5 astpadis out loud, 5 in ur mind, get up and walk while listening to the other 5, sing the other 5, and read meanings of the 4.

Also dont worry about the 3 big choices. Keep ur options open, live day to day. Leave some on God, and try the rest urself. I think u should try to come out to ur parents. Not all at once, dont make it another option and stress about it, just try to be truthful.

Also maybe look for religious gay ppl, u said u tried the gay scene n didnt fit in so look for the religious gay ppl. There is a blog by a sikh gay person, google it. See wat issues they facing, wat solutions they have. Take it slowly, keep faith in God and keep searching when u feel despair. The right path to ur life might show up.

Also look into how other religions are dealing with gay marriages, cuz sikh ppl might need to address this issue one day, and it would be nice if someone had done research on it. Look into the jati concept-

Ika Naari Jati Hoe

Look at comparison of degradation of society and homosexual behavior ( is there any correlation, causation, cuz christians r always saying roman/greek societies fell due to deviant sexual behavior), the debate of gay marriage (esp in America. I learned a lot. Like some pastor was arguing that studies show children need both a father and mother, so kids growing up in LGBTQ households with 2 moms or 2 dads, have same tendancy to fail as single parent kids. Also that there is alot of divorce/cheating in gay marriages as men are more promiscuous than women, so if u have 2 men, it doubles chances. Also that many lesbian households have domestic abuse) also check out Milo Yianopoulis on youtube, hes a Gay, Catholic, Jew who is against gay culture. He wants to live the gay lifestyle, but thinks pushing the gay agenda is harmful

tl;dr: the choices u r facing in life r hard and unique n nobody has the answers becuz there r few ppl in ur situation. So i say do more research n maybe u will be able to help urself or at least help others in ur situation. More than research, keep doin paath, have faith, wat happened to u is part of Gods will and Gods Will Can't Take You Where God's Grace Won't Save You. Guruji protects his devotees, fulfills their wishes worldly and otherwise, so become a devotee and never fear

4 people like this

On 17/02/2017 at 8:05 AM, sikhni777 said:

Well those thoughts are what will be left with you when you leave your body. When will that be ? It could be any time. No one knows how much time we have left. Would you like to come back and still have to live on this earth with all its problems starring you at the face?

I have felt so ! Thats why sometimes I feel like renouncing everything and become like a sanyaasi or something the sikh way. Sometimes when I am in deep pain, I can feel the fakeness of this world ! and all relationships, including parents . Sukh passes easily but dukh shows you real face of life, forces you to think about life overall. Sometimes I feel to make effort to utilize this pain and use it to follow guru's path and become jivan-mukt. But I am not able to bring myself to it . And then there's parents pressure every other day to marry . When your parents do drama and your mom screeches , its not easy. Other times I feel self-pity . Other 27 yr olds are enjoying their youth and mine is wasted in existential crisis . But then I console myself by reminding that everything you have and don't have is earned by oneself only ! 

When I look at poor and suffering, I am forced to have a different view of life. It gives me fear also, because I wonder what I am doing ! 

All is well that ends well. Right now I am in pitch black of night, but I live on the hope that someday sun shall rise . Reading gurbani is easy, tough is to believe it , even tougher to abide and LIVE IT ! 

BTW, today i completed 2 days of my paath. I hope guru ji gives me courage to complete other 38 days also. 

Edited by AjeetSinghPunjabi
1 person likes this

When my straight friends my same age tell me about their valentine and their plan to marry their lovers, Its as if someone shot a 100 piercing arrows at my heart.

The sorrow cannot be described, you will probably not understand, but I don't expect you to ! 

Then one of them who is in a loving relationship mocked me and said "You believe in and talk about waheguru so much ! why don't you ask him to arrange someone for you" .

I didn't have an answer to him. My heart just whispered in faith "He will , when the time is right !" 

7 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

You can do 10 astpadis daily instead of whole paath. But i find if i do the whole paath even if without concentration, i feel better at the end of it. 

And we should be making an effort to discipline our mind so keep tryinv to do the whole paath and fight to keep ur mind in the present, on the meanings. If ur tongue gets tired from doing paath, ahh wat a blessing! Is there any more shubh karam?

But u might want to switch: 5 astpadis out loud, 5 in ur mind, get up and walk while listening to the other 5, sing the other 5, and read meanings of the 4.

Also dont worry about the 3 big choices. Keep ur options open, live day to day. Leave some on God, and try the rest urself. I think u should try to come out to ur parents. Not all at once, dont make it another option and stress about it, just try to be truthful.

Also maybe look for religious gay ppl, u said u tried the gay scene n didnt fit in so look for the religious gay ppl. There is a blog by a sikh gay person, google it. See wat issues they facing, wat solutions they have. Take it slowly, keep faith in God and keep searching when u feel despair. The right path to ur life might show up.

Also look into how other religions are dealing with gay marriages, cuz sikh ppl might need to address this issue one day, and it would be nice if someone had done research on it. Look into the jati concept-

Ika Naari Jati Hoe

Look at comparison of degradation of society and homosexual behavior ( is there any correlation, causation, cuz christians r always saying roman/greek societies fell due to deviant sexual behavior), the debate of gay marriage (esp in America. I learned a lot. Like some pastor was arguing that studies show children need both a father and mother, so kids growing up in LGBTQ households with 2 moms or 2 dads, have same tendancy to fail as single parent kids. Also that there is alot of divorce/cheating in gay marriages as men are more promiscuous than women, so if u have 2 men, it doubles chances. Also that many lesbian households have domestic abuse) also check out Milo Yianopoulis on youtube, hes a Gay, Catholic, Jew who is against gay culture. He wants to live the gay lifestyle, but thinks pushing the gay agenda is harmful

tl;dr: the choices u r facing in life r hard and unique n nobody has the answers becuz there r few ppl in ur situation. So i say do more research n maybe u will be able to help urself or at least help others in ur situation. More than research, keep doin paath, have faith, wat happened to u is part of Gods will and Gods Will Can't Take You Where God's Grace Won't Save You. Guruji protects his devotees, fulfills their wishes worldly and otherwise, so become a devotee and never fear

Bro are you really going to listen to the same pastors who believe the world is 6000 years old and god spent 7 days on it? Who pick and choose what studies to believe and then propagate that Jesus is the only source of salvation? If you want proper, raw studies go straight to the source, there are journals online which will pretty much show you all types of studies (scientific or social) withut adding their own bias into them. These preachers take something small and blow it out of proportion or take it completely out of context. They do the same to Gurbani to try and discredit it.

The fall of the Greek/Roman empires was due to a myriad of reasons. sexual deviance wasn't one of them.I sincerely suggest reading proper history books rather than listening to nutjobs who'd love to see our religion in tators over something as menial as sexuality. 

To OP, who cares if you are gay. That makes no difference to your spirituality, that's biology, nothing more, nothing less. Focus on Akaal and nothing else, everything will fall into place, that feeling you have on Valentines day. Apply it to God rather than an actual person, Bhai Gurdas Ji said that these stories about Heer Ranjha (Romeo/Juliet of asian) are nothing compared in terms of love of god. 

Edited by Kira

29 minutes ago, Kira said:

To OP, who cares if you are gay. That makes no difference to your spirituality, that's biology, nothing more, nothing less. Focus on Akaal and nothing else, everything will fall into place, that feeling you have on Valentines day. Apply it to God rather than an actual person, Bhai Gurdas Ji said that these stories about Heer Ranjha (Romeo/Juliet of asian) are nothing compared in terms of love of god. 

Funny how we know things and yet hard to follow ! Each word you said I am aware intellectually but emotionally my heart is not able to accept the quagmire I am in. 

3 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

When my straight friends my same age tell me about their valentine and their plan to marry their lovers, Its as if someone shot a 100 piercing arrows at my heart.

The sorrow cannot be described, you will probably not understand, but I don't expect you to ! 

Then one of them who is in a loving relationship mocked me and said "You believe in and talk about waheguru so much ! why don't you ask him to arrange someone for you" .

I didn't have an answer to him. My heart just whispered in faith "He will , when the time is right !" 

You do understand this sangat you're keeping is as lost as anyone else in the world? Do you think these feelings of desire and affection are eternal? It's all a fleeting illusion. These same mouths that express emotions of attachment and tenderness for whoever they happen to be fixated on in that moment in time, will split out curses lamenting their misfortune when those illusory feelings dissipate. Don't let these people incite you to godlessness. You're too easily swayed by external voices who, I suspect, wish to see you sink. I sense your trials and heartaches are a source of entertainment to them, although they would never admit such a thing. They see you as a lesser person because of your sexuality. I would never suggest you alienate yourself from human contact, but don't be too eager to unburden yourself and share your innermost feelings with all and sundry. The fact that they thumb their noses at your faith in a higher power should indicate to you what kind of people they are.

Edited by MisterrSingh
1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

You do understand this sangat you're keeping is as lost as anyone else in the world? Do you think these feelings of desire and affection are eternal? It's all a fleeting illusion. These same mouths that express emotions of attachment and tenderness for whoever they happen to be fixated on in that moment in time, will split out curses lamenting their misfortune when those illusory feelings dissipate. Don't let these people incite you to godlessness. You're too easily swayed by external voices who, I suspect, wish to see you sink. I sense your trials and heartaches are a source of entertainment to them, although they would never admit such a thing. They see you as a lesser person because of your sexuality. I would never suggest you alienate yourself from human contact, but don't be too eager to unburden yourself and share your innermost feelings with all and sundry. The fact that they thumb their noses at your faith in a higher power should indicate to you what kind of people they are.

its harder than it looks, people here will condone the poor guy but in some cases you can't really help the sangat you have. Whenever im in university I can practically sense the hormones running wild, however in a Gurudwara its the completely opposite. 

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

As usual another gem of a post ! :)

Pardon , they're not "friends", but colleagues who sit in my row. 

I do know those good feelings they feel right now are not eternal. I know these as a logical extension of the fact that no pleasure or pain is permanent. The greatest dukh is stuck in cycle of birth and death and escape from it is only sukh. Despite me giving such "I know" lectures, my heart still says that "why can't I ride on two boats" . Life is a duality really. Right now I can't curb those material, basal feelings but I can atleast focus on paath, thats what I do.

My faith is dear to me. I can't toss it , but being in a sea of materialism, I am not able to foresake it either ! A deeper voice says this is temporary, focus on lord. A more basal voice would rather "focus on your enjoyment now , do paath , sewa, but mostly enjoy also. We will take a more radical spiritual sikhi view when we're hit mid age".

These people have always had problems with me and my faith for no reason. I am not even going to go into detail because the post will get very large. But they're not hindu, more like atheists who don't even respect their own faith. The other day I was telling them story of upanishads, and they called it hubris. well now you know ! 

14 minutes ago, Kira said:

its harder than it looks, people here will condone the poor guy but in some cases you can't really help the sangat you have. Whenever im in university I can practically sense the hormones running wild, however in a Gurudwara its the completely opposite. 

as you keep sangat, so you become . Its just that your mind should be willing to change sangat without much drama. After all  we're all slaves to our minds only 

7 minutes ago, Kira said:

That's true. I guess that's where that inner strength I was referring to a few pages ago enters the equation. If a person does have to interact with these people on a daily basis, you have to be able to filter out most of what they say. Taking every word to heart or mulling over their half baked ideas and opinions just means you're taking in a lot of nonsense that serves no purpose.

9 minutes ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

as you keep sangat, so you become . Its just that your mind should be willing to change sangat without much drama. After all  we're all slaves to our minds only.

Listen to them for the sake of politeness, but rise above it. It's tougher when these people are your workmates. I guess you also have your career to consider. Can't be a rude loner who speaks to nobody, lol.

1 person likes this

I know they mock my faith, but what to say to these hindu-atheists, when my own parents sometimes think I believe too much in god.

One day after I got my job, my dad in partly-inebriated state refused that SGGS talks to me and helped me. I went to SGGS again and asked "Oh guru, my father says you didn't help me. Please say yourself" in my ardas and I got gurvaak that day : "Jis ka tan man dhan sab tis ka soi sugadh sujaani, tin hi sunia dukh sukh mera ..."

Miracles do happen . But they happen when you least expect them . And this I say from personal experience.

I don't mind them mocking my faith in my 'deen-dayaal' (merciful to poor) and also don't mind them mocking my 'deen'ta (poverty , of sexuality and social status). 

Trust me, all ridicule is worth it if in the end, your lord comes to rescue you . ! And their ridicule proves, faith in god is a gift in itself.

PS : Whenever I feel down , I look at stories of draupadi (whose honor was saved by her faith in crowd of dushts) , bibi rajni (married to leper), bhagat prahlaad, bhagat dhroo. Such saakhis give immense peace , even if temporarily.

11 minutes ago, pardesanbibbi2 said:

Look, why can't you be yourself, instead of drawing so much attention to yourself?  I am sure there is a very huge gay community out there you can open your heart to whenever you feel desperate.  I am 100 per cent positive that you are not the only gay man in this world!  So, stop drawing so much attention to yourself, it is not very nurturing for your well being.  You are gay and not some criminal! Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Self pity is not good for our mental and physical health.  You are an ordinary human being who happens to be gay, nothing wrong with you! Stop acting like some sort of pariah you are not!  Tell your parents about your status.  They are grown ups they should have the ability to deal with it and stop forcing you to get married!  I can't believe I am living in the twenty first century and reading all this!  It is unbelievable!

Your tone is very insensitive ! 

From which country do you belong ? I am from india and here, a gay man IS a pariah ! and so are lesbians and transgenders ! 

Century depends on where you live . India is still in 1800's and middle east in middle ages ! And as always, its always easy to belittle someone else's problem. :/ 

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, pardesanbibbi2 said:

Look, why can't you be yourself, instead of drawing so much attention to yourself?  I am sure there is a very huge gay community out there you can open your heart to whenever you feel desperate.  I am 100 per cent positive that you are not the only gay man in this world!  So, stop drawing so much attention to yourself, it is not very nurturing for your well being.  You are gay and not some criminal! Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Self pity is not good for our mental and physical health.  You are an ordinary human being who happens to be gay, nothing wrong with you! Stop acting like some sort of pariah you are not!  Tell your parents about your status.  They are grown ups they should have the ability to deal with it and stop forcing you to get married!  I can't believe I am living in the twenty first century and reading all this!  It is unbelievable!

This is a very western approach. AjeetSinghPunjabi is not of the west.  Homosexuality is frowned upon in countries like India. Yes, even in the 2017.

Edited by muscleman
4 people like this

1 hour ago, pardesanbibbi2 said:

Even if Ajeet paji was from Canada, USA, Australia, or UK, his parents would still have the same view. It would take them a while to get round to the idea of him being gay, because that's just how people from Punjabi community are. It will still be the same, apart from his work colleagues. 

Its not easy for him, so belittling him by saying he's feeling sorry for himself isn't a good thing. That's not very understanding and very insensitive. Until one is in another person's shoes, they have no idea what they go through. He's sharing his problems to get help not to be told to get on with it. Please understand, it's not that easy.