Sikh Band wins Grammy for Best New Age Album

singhbj singh

2 hours ago, JUSTAJATT said:

Good stuff! ..   respect to these guys for their efforts.  

sikh channel seem to be running a character assasination of brown sikhs lately ...they gave the news about this NEW AGE music group Yoga background LP winning an award and added something along the lines that they are better sikhs because of this ...WTH? then you got others chiming in to say yep gorey sikhs are more holy, better sikhs than desi ones . Sorry but the lack of self-worth and brainwashedness is embarassing . Many sikhs of every hue are better sikhs of the past , present and future  than these dress-up guys who believe all desi sikhs are impure , ignorant , that believe Yogi Harbahajan's interpretations of sikhi (milgoba of new age, yoga, sikhi) rather than the actual Gurbani. Many dress in bana but have not had Amrit , carry on suspect behaviour (tantric yoga vids, hom havan rituals, bhut pooja) and yet claim sikhi e.g. Leo di Caprio's stepmum. 

Frankly I suspect that the main reason they did so well was who was backing them (South park music director) , otherwise there are thousands of Gursikhs producing massive output of high quality which also people appreciate but never get awards except in India perhaps 

Stop putting people on pedestals just of their colour , even just because of their worldy achievements that is nothing compared to achieving in the dharmic field : sewa, simran and Kirtan.

7 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Stop putting people on pedestals just of their colour , even just because of their worldy achievements that is nothing compared to achieving in the dharmic field : sewa, simran and Kirtan.

you guys should stop making your own judgements. They are nothing but manmat. Everytime you see a gora, you immediately start to differentiate. so, think about it, you are the one's being predjudice.  As soon as you notice black from white and make a line inbetween it, then you've done nothing about what sikhi tells you.

3 hours ago, JUSTAJATT said:

you guys should stop making your own judgements. They are nothing but manmat. Everytime you see a gora, you immediately start to differentiate. so, think about it, you are the one's being predjudice.  As soon as you notice black from white and make a line inbetween it, then you've done nothing about what sikhi tells you.

mate I'm married to a gora , and I do not think that a skin colour indicates sikhi or a costume ... it is actions alone ... show me when and if these people have had shown up for the panth... if you ask them to correct mispronounciation of bani to keep satkar they get upset instead of saying Ok Satbachan I'll try better.

19 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Why do some of our people have an inferiority complex to Goras? Is it the ones fresh-of-the-boat or actual people born in the west with this deficiency?

Well look at our own cultural attitudes to race. The prevailing line of thought in India and the Punjab is that the fairer your skin is, the more beautiful you are, the purer is your bloodline, and the greater your worth as a person.  This masochistic malarkey has a historical precedent reaching back milennia, and is intimately bound to the Hindu caste system, which Sikhs also haven't managed to shake off. So when men with genuinely white skin appeared on the scene in medieval India, of course the natives were awed by them, and immediately put them on top of a pedestal in their empty little heads. 

As for the Sikhs' particular love-affair with Anglo-Saxon people, it goes back to the mid 1800s and the implementation of 'martial-race' theory. Our people have never been lacking in vanity and simple-mindedness, thus when the English imperialists placed us firmly at the upper end of an Indian racial hierarchy, we were flattered as a collective. Not only that, it seems we were so grateful for this thumbs up from the people whom we perceived as our racial superiors - by virtue of their white skin - that we became their number one rentboys in the whole of the subcontinent. We stuffed ourselves into their army in disproportionate quantities to die for them in their wars, and even travelled to distant parts of their empire to supress other 'inferior' colored peoples on their behalf (Sikh policemen in Shanghai became infamous and despised for their brutality towards locals). All this because they essentially gave us a pat on the head. 

And this legacy of servility and exploitation is paraded around by Sikhs today as a wonderful thing? It's sick in my opinion. The Indian Sikhs are pretty bad in this respect, but the diaspora Sikhs, particularly we in the United Kingdom, are much worse. 

Guest Jacfsing2
19 hours ago, Balkaar said:

Well look at our own cultural attitudes to race. The prevailing line of thought in India and the Punjab is that the fairer your skin is, the more beautiful you are, the purer is your bloodline, and the greater your worth as a person.  This masochistic malarkey has a historical precedent reaching back milennia, and is intimately bound to the Hindu caste system, which Sikhs also haven't managed to shake off. So when men with genuinely white skin appeared on the scene in medieval India, of course the natives were awed by them, and immediately put them on top of a pedestal in their empty little heads. 

As for the Sikhs' particular love-affair with Anglo-Saxon people, it goes back to the mid 1800s and the implementation of 'martial-race' theory. Our people have never been lacking in vanity and simple-mindedness, thus when the English imperialists placed us firmly at the upper end of an Indian racial hierarchy, we were flattered as a collective. Not only that, it seems we were so grateful for this thumbs up from the people whom we perceived as our racial superiors - by virtue of their white skin - that we became their number one rentboys in the whole of the subcontinent. We stuffed ourselves into their army in disproportionate quantities to die for them in their wars, and even travelled to distant parts of their empire to supress other 'inferior' colored peoples on their behalf (Sikh policemen in Shanghai became infamous and despised for their brutality towards locals). All this because they essentially gave us a pat on the head. 

And this legacy of servility and exploitation is paraded around by Sikhs today as a wonderful thing? It's sick in my opinion. The Indian Sikhs are pretty bad in this respect, but the diaspora Sikhs, particularly we in the United Kingdom, are much worse. 

I'm considered Diaspora, yet I've never felt some inferiority to Anglos or other whites. As far as I'm concerned they are just people like everyone else.

1 hour ago, Jacfsing2 said:

I'm considered Diaspora, yet I've never felt some inferiority to Anglos or other whites. As far as I'm concerned they are just people like everyone else.

As with most things, there are exceptions. But the majority of diaspora Sikhs and their representatives use this bit of their history as a political crutch very often - look no further than all the lump-in-throat recollections of Sikh involvement in the world wars. 

having read so many plaudits claiming that this CD was bringing a glow to the sikh faith , invoking something ancient, bringing 500 years old shabads to the public in a 21st century form  I thought let's see:

Having visited their own website to see the promos it seems  there is lots of gorey support and yogi support not so much presence of desi or sikh comments.

in places it is hard to make out what's being said , and one wonders if they are just claiming gurbani label when it is just one or two phrases joined with made up words like ikam ardas :

Chotti bhen ji Isher is sitting here and she is reacting badly to it , I told her it's kirtan and she was adamant I don't like it ...now this girl will happily listen to Rara Sahib style, Akj style, Raag kirtan on vaaja as well as tanti saaz, and other forms of kirtan including accapella and guitar based . guess it isn't hitting the spot ...