Visiting India 2017

Big_Tera

Is India safe to travel to and what areas would you recommend to see? Was planning on going for 2 weeks in May.  Main areas I was thinking of visiting was New Dehli, Agra and of course Golden temple.  Also the main Gurdwaras in New Dehli such as Bangla Sahib.  Regarding Amritsar. what is the best way of going from Dehli to Amritsar.  I have heard there is a sleeper train service.  But are coaches not better and more comfortable.  

Was also considering Himachal pradesh but its quite far to get to and dont think I could fit it into a 14 day stopover. Its such a huge country not sure where to start and where to finish. 

41 minutes ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Go to hazoor sahib if u can. Takes 2 days on train. Buy bottled water from busy popular shops to avoid severe diarrhea. Dont buy from unused shops, no idea how long its been there. 

2 days dont think I could survive 2 hours on one of those overcrowded indian trains-  2 days :grin

7 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

I'm in India right now. Air India is actually not bad. 

Mum got mucked about so much by them and she told them she wasn't able to carry her luggage for long due to arthritis, They had her transferring by bus to travel onwards from Delhi when they could have put her on a flight from the same terminal building (linked flights and all that) but no then on the way back she had sit waiting for hours between flights and you know how they won't let you into the lounge to wait unless you have less than three hours wait ... Anyways she's sworn off Air India, I think she or Masi have used Turkish before they seemed to be OK . I usually travel direct using BA or Virgin ...Lufthansa is the pits I lost 20 hours in delays going /coming from my bro's wedding in 2000 and that was really hard because I had twin babies and a toddler in tow and used up my formula in the airport before getting onto the flight and there was nowhere to get more in terminal. I thought I'd give them another chance in 2012 and lost two seats on the flight home because they lost my mum in the terminal (she hopped on a buggy because of the long fast walk) .

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

Mum got mucked about so much by them and she told them she wasn't able to carry her luggage for long due to arthritis, They had her transferring by bus to travel onwards from Delhi when they could have put her on a flight from the same terminal building (linked flights and all that) but no then on the way back she had sit waiting for hours between flights and you know how they won't let you into the lounge to wait unless you have less than three hours wait ... Anyways she's sworn off Air India, I think she or Masi have used Turkish before they seemed to be OK . I usually travel direct using BA or Virgin ...Lufthansa is the pits I lost 20 hours in delays going /coming from my bro's wedding in 2000 and that was really hard because I had twin babies and a toddler in tow and used up my formula in the airport before getting onto the flight and there was nowhere to get more in terminal. I thought I'd give them another chance in 2012 and lost two seats on the flight home because they lost my mum in the terminal (she hopped on a buggy because of the long fast walk) .

Looks like they need some customer service training.  In the past I have flown with british airways but they are a bit pricey.  £500 for the ticket. Middle eastern airlines are usually the cheapest but they mostly include 3 - 4 hour stopovers. 

I have 2 options

Air India direct flight return cost £358  -  9 hour duration direct flights

or Turkish airlines flight return which is cheaper at  £318  - but includes stopovers each way 3 hour  flight transfer - 14 hour total flight each way duration

plus not sure I want to spend money on a arabic airline.  who knows were my money will go to. 

3 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

Looks like they need some customer service training.  

I have 2 options

Air India direct flight return cost £358  -  9 hour durtaion direct flights

or Turkish airlines flight return which is cheaper at  £318  - but includes stopovers each way - 14 hour flight each way duration

plus not sure I want to spend money on a arabic airline.  who knows were my money will go to. 

go Indian then ... That's the only not to get mixed into the whole arab question ...

35 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

go Indian then ... That's the only not to get mixed into the whole arab question ...

Yep 

I also dont want the hassle of transferring flights and then trying to find my luggage during the stopover ect.  Was in two minds as the second option is cheaper but also much longer flight.