Jump to content
Big_Tera

Visiting India 2017

Recommended Posts

Is India safe to travel to and what areas would you recommend to see? Was planning on going for 2 weeks in May.  Main areas I was thinking of visiting was New Dehli, Agra and of course Golden temple.  Also the main Gurdwaras in New Dehli such as Bangla Sahib.  Regarding Amritsar. what is the best way of going from Dehli to Amritsar.  I have heard there is a sleeper train service.  But are coaches not better and more comfortable.  

Was also considering Himachal pradesh but its quite far to get to and dont think I could fit it into a 14 day stopover. Its such a huge country not sure where to start and where to finish. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to hazoor sahib if u can. Takes 2 days on train. Buy bottled water from busy popular shops to avoid severe diarrhea. Dont buy from unused shops, no idea how long its been there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Go to hazoor sahib if u can. Takes 2 days on train. Buy bottled water from busy popular shops to avoid severe diarrhea. Dont buy from unused shops, no idea how long its been there. 

2 days dont think I could survive 2 hours on one of those overcrowded indian trains-  2 days :grin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CHaamCHrick said:

Elections in Punjab may cause some delays and the road works everywhere are a bigger nuisance. 

Yeh hopefully its not to bad.

p.s anyone travelled with Air India or turkish airlines? Are they any good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in India right now. Air India is actually not bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

I'm in India right now. Air India is actually not bad. 

Mum got mucked about so much by them and she told them she wasn't able to carry her luggage for long due to arthritis, They had her transferring by bus to travel onwards from Delhi when they could have put her on a flight from the same terminal building (linked flights and all that) but no then on the way back she had sit waiting for hours between flights and you know how they won't let you into the lounge to wait unless you have less than three hours wait ... Anyways she's sworn off Air India, I think she or Masi have used Turkish before they seemed to be OK . I usually travel direct using BA or Virgin ...Lufthansa is the pits I lost 20 hours in delays going /coming from my bro's wedding in 2000 and that was really hard because I had twin babies and a toddler in tow and used up my formula in the airport before getting onto the flight and there was nowhere to get more in terminal. I thought I'd give them another chance in 2012 and lost two seats on the flight home because they lost my mum in the terminal (she hopped on a buggy because of the long fast walk) .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

Mum got mucked about so much by them and she told them she wasn't able to carry her luggage for long due to arthritis, They had her transferring by bus to travel onwards from Delhi when they could have put her on a flight from the same terminal building (linked flights and all that) but no then on the way back she had sit waiting for hours between flights and you know how they won't let you into the lounge to wait unless you have less than three hours wait ... Anyways she's sworn off Air India, I think she or Masi have used Turkish before they seemed to be OK . I usually travel direct using BA or Virgin ...Lufthansa is the pits I lost 20 hours in delays going /coming from my bro's wedding in 2000 and that was really hard because I had twin babies and a toddler in tow and used up my formula in the airport before getting onto the flight and there was nowhere to get more in terminal. I thought I'd give them another chance in 2012 and lost two seats on the flight home because they lost my mum in the terminal (she hopped on a buggy because of the long fast walk) .

Looks like they need some customer service training.  In the past I have flown with british airways but they are a bit pricey.  £500 for the ticket. Middle eastern airlines are usually the cheapest but they mostly include 3 - 4 hour stopovers. 

I have 2 options

Air India direct flight return cost £358  -  9 hour duration direct flights

or Turkish airlines flight return which is cheaper at  £318  - but includes stopovers each way 3 hour  flight transfer - 14 hour total flight each way duration

plus not sure I want to spend money on a arabic airline.  who knows were my money will go to. 

 

Edited by Big_Tera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

Looks like they need some customer service training.  

I have 2 options

Air India direct flight return cost £358  -  9 hour durtaion direct flights

or Turkish airlines flight return which is cheaper at  £318  - but includes stopovers each way - 14 hour flight each way duration

plus not sure I want to spend money on a arabic airline.  who knows were my money will go to. 

 

go Indian then ... That's the only not to get mixed into the whole arab question ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

go Indian then ... That's the only not to get mixed into the whole arab question ...

 

Yep 

I also dont want the hassle of transferring flights and then trying to find my luggage during the stopover ect.  Was in two minds as the second option is cheaper but also much longer flight. 

 

Edited by Big_Tera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

I'm in India right now. Air India is actually not bad. 

 

Will give it a go.  Hopefully its good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Tommy Robinson wrongly posts tweets saying Oxford Street chaos 'looks like another jihadi attack'  Georgie Darling,Yahoo News UK 16 hours ago  Tommy Robinson has been forced to delete tweets suggesting the Oxford Street paniclooked like a terrorist attack carried out by jihadists. The notorious right-wing speaker, who recently had his blue ‘verified’ tick removed by Twitter, was quick to jump to conclusions when a stampede shook the popular shopping street, saying it ‘looks like another jihad attack in London’ to his 387,000 follows. As news around the incident developed quickly, the Metropolitan Police initially tweeted they were responding to the incident ‘as if it is terrorist related.’ However, shortly after they tweeted again, saying they had ‘not yet’ found a trace of suspects, shots or casualties.
    • Everyone has full faith on shri Guru Granth Sahib ji.. and I never said that Chandi Di Vaar can’t be recited after sunset. It can be recited but thn have to continue for the rest of the night that’s what I said.. its not that Chandi Di Vaar or any other path is  to be blamed for the anger or lust that we can’t control.. i blame my own mind coz at the moment I’m working under control of my mind and trying to progress everyday.. and about doing Chandi Di Vaar is Because of the love I have for gurbani and for the ten gurus.. and “sun” if ur referring to sukhmani sahib thn it does has its effect it truly brings peace and happiness atleast for me it does..  and not only Chandi Di Vaar but the whole Guru Granth Sahib praises Akal Purakh and it looks like u have all the knowledge so it’s very good for u. I’m not here to get into arguments.. god bless and about not reciting Chandi Di Vaar after sunset for that Go and read the book called se kinehiya or here I’ll help u with that..
    • With a lot of Punjabi women being fickle with the latest trends and fashions, I thought that with the uptake of hipster beards and man buns that they would be fickle enough to be attracted to the kesh. 
    •   A beautiful shabad about darshan  https://www.sikhnet.com/gurbani/audio/supan-charitar-chitar-banak-banai-bachitar
×