Who am I?

Guest Raj

I was born in a family where my father called himself a sahajdhari Sikh. My nanaji knew Guru Granth Sahib Ji by heart and predicted his and my nani's time of death. I was told that from our families, the first son was dedicated to the Guru in olden times and that he would become a keshdhari Sikh. Whenever I was sick in my childhood, Sukhmani Sahib was recited by my mother, which she knew by heart. I went to Bangla Sahib to bathe in the sarovar and drank the holy water, which made me well again. I have grown up in this family where some of my cousins are Sikhs.

I could not believe what I heard in an audio message today that Navjot Singh Sidhu is not a Sikh because he worships Shiva. I was shaken as I always believed that Sikhs is a community within Hindus. Then, I started scouring the internet for answers, wherein I found people writing that Guru Nanak Dev Ji was not a Hindu as he refused to wear Janeyu. I would like to ask those people as to who was Mata Sulakkhani and Sri Chand and Lakhmi Chand. Are these not Hindu names? I had also heard from my grandparents that Guru Nanak Dev Ji was cremated which is done only by Hindus in the world. He also has a record in his name in the registers kept in Haridwar (though I don't have any means to validate).

I am sure of one thing, no one in this world can take away the respect and love I have for my Gurus.

Can anyone tell me my religion?

Is it that only by one's appearance can he be defined a Hindu or a Sikh? 

Mata sulakhni may have been brought up in a Hindu household but she married and accepted Guru ji's ways and path as soon as she was to be married , as they were not married in the standard pandit led agni phere but around ik onkar written on a piece of paper. Names do not mean everything but neither Sri Chand or Laxmi Chand accepted sikhi fully . In  fact, Sri Chand left to start his own sect to rival Guru Angad Dev ji. As for cremation of Guru ji his body was not there when the mourners came for it  but flowers so the flowers were divided between those who wished to bury Guru ji's body and those who wished to cremate it . 

I

^^Preeet likes to brown-nose.^^

As "not2cool2argue" pointed out, a Sikh is someone who believes in 1 God, the 10 Guru, Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Amrit and follows no other religion.

What is the definition of a hindu? Once we have that, we can can see whether or not Sikh fit into that category.

As for you my friend... you can not cross the world ocean with your feet in two boats. Choose 1 path. Since Sikhi is the only complete truth, may I make a suggestion? ;)

Guest Jacfsing2
On 2/2/2017 at 3:20 AM, Guest Raj said:

I was born in a family where my father called himself a sahajdhari Sikh. My nanaji knew Guru Granth Sahib Ji by heart and predicted his and my nani's time of death. I was told that from our families, the first son was dedicated to the Guru in olden times and that he would become a keshdhari Sikh. Whenever I was sick in my childhood, Sukhmani Sahib was recited by my mother, which she knew by heart. I went to Bangla Sahib to bathe in the sarovar and drank the holy water, which made me well again. I have grown up in this family where some of my cousins are Sikhs.

I could not believe what I heard in an audio message today that Navjot Singh Sidhu is not a Sikh because he worships Shiva. I was shaken as I always believed that Sikhs is a community within Hindus. Then, I started scouring the internet for answers, wherein I found people writing that Guru Nanak Dev Ji was not a Hindu as he refused to wear Janeyu. I would like to ask those people as to who was Mata Sulakkhani and Sri Chand and Lakhmi Chand. Are these not Hindu names? I had also heard from my grandparents that Guru Nanak Dev Ji was cremated which is done only by Hindus in the world. He also has a record in his name in the registers kept in Haridwar (though I don't have any means to validate).

I am sure of one thing, no one in this world can take away the respect and love I have for my Gurus.

Can anyone tell me my religion?

Is it that only by one's appearance can he be defined a Hindu or a Sikh? 

Your currently a human that is lost, (like most of humanity), you can't follow any religion in conjunction with Sikhi; as Guru Sahib was the greatest that has ever come or will ever come. Also the Guru is not a Hindu, by your limited logic, he would also be Muslim: as he went to Mecca; a Christian: as he went to the Vatican, a Buddhist and what-else, he went to these places to save people not be saved. Navjot Singh Sidhu isn't Sikh whatsoever except in appearance and name, he's been in a right-wing Hindu party and has joined the party that killed many Sikhs in 1984, that sounds more like a Ghadar than a human being to me. Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji was not cremated, especially since his body just disappeared in the same way Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji left his body. This is our difference between the Sindhi Hindus and Nanakpanthis; that those who are Sikhs ONLY believe in the Guru while Non-Sikhs can still believe in other stuff.

51 minutes ago, Preeet said:

There are plenty of hindus who have accepted sri amrit, & follow the sikhya of guru ji. In hindu dharma there is only 1 GOD who is sri adiparashakti aka sri parabrahman. That is the same god we worship, and if they worship the same god through the same means (and guru ji), then why would you think of them as any different from us, especially when they consider our guru ji as their guru ji? If a hindu decides to worship the nirguna state from within, and they follow the sikhya of our guru ji, then that does not make them lose their hindu identity (since those are the same teachings they have in certain sects). Being blessed with sri amrit is a spiritual oath that you are now going to follow the ways of our sri guru sahib ji, and those same ways have been there in hinduism as well. 

Ok Preeet, sure. What I said above. Also, you have something brown on your sri nose ji.

On 03/02/2017 at 0:58 PM, Preeet said:

There are plenty of hindus who have accepted sri amrit, & follow the sikhya of guru ji. In hindu dharma there is only 1 GOD who is sri adiparashakti aka sri parabrahman. That is the same god we worship, and if they worship the same god through the same means (and guru ji), then why would you think of them as any different from us, especially when they consider our guru ji as their guru ji? If a hindu decides to worship the nirguna state from within, and they follow the sikhya of our guru ji, then that does not make them lose their hindu identity (since those are the same teachings they have in certain sects). Being blessed with sri amrit is a spiritual oath that you are now going to follow the ways of our sri guru sahib ji, and those same ways have been there in hinduism as well. 

There's more cr@p in here than the Ganges...no if someone takes Amrit they are sworn to Guru Gobind Singh Ji and no one else, they are Sikhs NOT Hindu as dictated by his own orders. So please cut the twisted views and maybe read a book once in a while.