AjeetSinghPunjabi

Did Shaheeds feel physical pain when they were tortured to physical death ?

Whether it is saw sawing off Bhai Mati das ji, or being boiled alive of Bhai Dayala ji, or being burnt alive of Bhai Sati das ji, 

how are they reportedly so calm when infact all hell broke loose ?

Is it spiritual strength or something ? Do they feel physical pain when undergoing such mindboggingly horrible shahadats . I have always wondered do they not feel the pain or do they feel it as much as we would do but they just suffer for sake of guru .

How can someone be so fearless . 

Is there some resource on this ?

Guest Jacfsing2
7 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Whether it is saw sawing off Bhai Mati das ji, or being boiled alive of Bhai Dayala ji, or being burnt alive of Bhai Sati das ji, 

how are they reportedly so calm when infact all hell broke loose ?

Is it spiritual strength or something ? Do they feel physical pain when undergoing such mindboggingly horrible shahadats . I have always wondered do they not feel the pain or do they feel it as much as we would do but they just suffer for sake of guru .

How can someone be so fearless . 

Is there some resource on this ?

It probably is that their physical bodies maay feel pain; however, they had the feeling that being seperated from Guru Sahib would be a greater pain. They are not Vaheguru who feels no pain; however, they are allowing the pain to happen inspite of it. Sometimes we normal people will fell intense pain; however, we probably won't react too much because of everything surrounding that pain.

1 hour ago, Jacfsing2 said:

It probably is that their physical bodies maay feel pain; however, they had the feeling that being seperated from Guru Sahib would be a greater pain. They are not Vaheguru who feels no pain; however, they are allowing the pain to happen inspite of it. Sometimes we normal people will fell intense pain; however, we probably won't react too much because of everything surrounding that pain.

This doesn't seem likely TBH ! When you're in a public square and the emperor of your country ordered you to be sawed alive in two halves , in full public glare , and when you're seeing the butcher prepare his saw and he laughs at you , you really think you won't be feeling anything but extreme fear ! 

It has to be some mahaan avastha to be in to not be scared of such a sight ! 

1 hour ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

This doesn't seem likely TBH ! When you're in a public square and the emperor of your country ordered you to be sawed alive in two halves , in full public glare , and when you're seeing the butcher prepare his saw and he laughs at you , you really think you won't be feeling anything but extreme fear ! 

It has to be some mahaan avastha to be in to not be scared of such a sight ! 

And where they not of mahaan avastha?

• Like 2

A lot of Sikhs say these things about our Shaheeds because they believe it honours their memory. Their hearts are in the right place. But personally speaking, I consider it has the opposite effect - one of minimizing the extent and magnitude of their sacrifice.

Human bravery and love of Maharaj helped our shaheeds face their brutal ends, not some divine anesthetic. 

If there is no pain, there is no fear, and if there is no fear, what is there to sacrifice? If you were invulnerable to fire, then running into a burning building to save a trapped child would cease to be an act of bravery because there is no danger to your person. You can't be brave unless you first have cause to be afraid. 

Who is nobler? The one who submits to torture in the knowledge that he won't be hurt by it at all, or one who feels every cut and burn but endures it for the sake of pyaar? Sikhi is fundamentally humanistic - Guru Ji created the Khalsa Panth to show that ordinary men and women - people like us -  could be stronger and braver than they ever imagined. We need to be wary of mythologizing our shaheeds and ascribing all these otherworldly powers to them, because then we could never hope to become like them. 

Edited by Balkaar
  • Like 2