When did Sikhs start going into decline? (BoS video)

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Jassu said:

The fact that this post only got one reply which is from OP himself proves that Sikhi is on the decline

I don't think it's necessarily in decline. Sikhi is reconfiguring itself probably. We've got a higher level of global awareness and education now (as a panth). A lot of critical reflection and discussion is taking place. This is a good thing in my eyes. It's about us learning from the past, grasping the geo-political realities of today, and charting a course for the 21st century and beyond. 

On 4/14/2022 at 10:00 PM, dallysingh101 said:

I don't think it's necessarily in decline. Sikhi is reconfiguring itself probably. We've got a higher level of global awareness and education now (as a panth). A lot of critical reflection and discussion is taking place. This is a good thing in my eyes. It's about us learning from the past, grasping the geo-political realities of today, and charting a course for the 21st century and beyond. 

Gurmat bibek founder late kulbir singh veerji has done beautiful explanation of gurmat concepts. They also believe in full Dasam Granth Sahib. Their videos are an excellent source of learning.

9 hours ago, SinghPunjabSingh said:

You are right that we need to focus towards what we can do to widen the blessing of Sikhi across the World today, tomorrow and in the future. But no doubt about it the the lack of proper transition after 1839 and the 1947 Pakistani Genocide of Sikhs and the last 40 years have also been hugely damaging to the Sikh Panth (outside of the obvious and insidious damage the 98years of racist British Empire rule caused to the Sikh Panth).

Also whilst the Panth accepts Ranjit Singh as an able and secular political ruler of Punjab I think we need to emphasise that Gurmat 100% opposes these nonsense concepts of hereditary monarchy, royal families, so-called empires etc and Ranjit Singh was not someone for us to look up to (as a Sikh) albeit he was an able political and military leader that freed Sikhs and other indigenous Punjabi's from slavery under Islamofascist rule.

So i think we can't simply look at the start of racist British Empre rule as the only negative period in Sikh history. The rot had set in earlier with Ranjit Singh's personal conduct and with our Qaum at the time not recognising that the most able and Panj Piare would have represented a better transition rather than the pathetic anti-Gurmat and anti-Sikh concept of hereditary custodianship. 

I sort of get you. But I don't think you grasp how systemically brits murdered or isolated Sikhs who might have given a better spiritual-politico leadership. Even before their attack, proxies (like Dogras) attacked spiritually inclined leaders like Baba Bir Singh Naurangabad. Plus there were home grown movements that were questioning the extravagance of M. Ranjit Singh and his darbar (like the Kukaa movement). The exile and slow torture of sants like Bhai Maharaj Singh say a lot. These people are definitely the most insidious we've ever encountered, plus they had a long experience of creating havoc and enslaving many communities before they met us, including the Scottish, Irish under their nose and umpteen African people's, the Americas etc.  

I can't imagine any community not being made up of a spectrum of people with different levels of discipline or understanding of their roots. To me it seems dangerous to have a puritan, excessively idealistic view of our own society given our majority Panjabi proclivities. We're going to have to have a broad range of people in our panth, the whole idea is to make them loyal and improve cohesion. Be realistic, and also factor in social factors and human nature in your vision, I think this is what a lot of other communities do, and why they swerve some of the issues we seem to struggle to shake off. 

I do get your point about the alien nature of hereditary custodianship (in Sikhi) though. That's a big topic when I think about it, because people seem to have some disposition for it strangely, as we see globally - be it the Kennedys, Gandhis, Badals, Bushs, Windsors etc. etc.    

46 minutes ago, proudkaur21 said:

Personally I think the rot started from Maharaja Ranjit Singh's time. He was way too secular and look the non-sikh subjects of his empire all betrayed us in the end. Hindus and Muslims both leached off us during our empire and then look at them now. Sikhs need to stop caring about others. Just care about your own.

Oy vey, that leads to genocide, bigot.