Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
singhbj singh

Meet Lytina Kaur who became a mum to four children in just nine months

3 posts in this topic

A woman who had 17 miscarriages after being told she would never be able to give birth became a mother to four children – in just nine months.

Lytina Kaur was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia, an aggressive cancer of the white blood cells, at the age of 17.

A year later, the now 32-year-old was told she may never be able to give birth after she relapsed and had a bone marrow transplant.

Lytina gave birth to her first daughter Kiran in September 2015. Her twins, Kajal and Kavita, were born to a surrogate mother in India two months later.

And in June 2016, Lytina gave birth to Kiyara at the Queen's Medical Centre.

The former housing officer, who worked for Nottingham City Homes, told the Post: "I was still quite young when I was told I couldn't have children.

"I didn't think about it too much at the time and thought I'd worry about it when I crossed the bridge. However when I got married at 23, it was heartbreaking."

After her wedding in 2007, she decided to see if it was possible for her to start a family of her own. But before becoming a mother-of-four Lytina had 11 miscarriages, the first which happened in 2010 after she conceived twins.

image: http://www.nottinghampost.com/images/localworld/ugc-images/276368/binaries/NOMF20170109F-362_C.JPG

Between 2010 and 2012, she suffered another nine miscarriages before undergoing one free cycle of IVF on the NHS a year later, which was unsuccessful.

She then decided to explore adoption, but was told there were no suitable Asian children available. As a result of this, her and her husband started looking at surrogacy.

Between 2013 and 2015, a hospital in India made six attempts to implant an embryo into a surrogate – but each ended in miscarriage and the couple gave up.

In February 2015, Lytina found out she had fallen pregnant naturally as she was planning to undergo another round of IVF.

After being diagnosed with an aggressive cancer when she was just a teenager, Lytina Kaur was told she would never be able to give birth.

The now 32-year-old spent six months in hospital while she had chemotherapy when she was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia, an aggressive cancer of the white blood cells.

A year later Lytina, of Wollaton, relapsed and had to undergo intensive chemotherapy and radiotherapy before receiving a bone marrow transplant from her brother.

It was then she found out it would be almost impossible for her to give birth.

She said: "When I had my transplant I was told I couldn't have children because of my leukaemia. I thought I would think about it when I crossed that bridge as I was still quite young at the time.

"I didn't think about it too much at the time and thought I'd worry about it when I crossed the bridge. However when I got married at 23, it was heartbreaking."

Three years after her wedding, which took place in 2007, Lytina decided to see if it was possible for her to start a family of her own.

She conceived twins but miscarried at 17 weeks.

The former housing officer, who worked for Nottingham City Homes, told the Post: "I was having twin boys.

"I had 17 miscarriages in total and they were all hard but that one was the most difficult because it was my first and I had been carrying them for a long time."

image: http://www.nottinghampost.com/images/localworld/ugc-images/276368/binaries/NOMF20170109F-370_C.JPG

Between 2010 and 2012, she suffered another nine miscarriages before undergoing one free cycle of IVF on the NHS a year later, which was unsuccessful.

Lytina then decided to explore adoption, but was told there were no suitable Asian children available. As a result of this, her and her husband started looking at surrogacy.

Between 2013 and 2015, a hospital in India made six attempts to implant an embryo into a surrogate – but each ended in miscarriage and the couple gave up.

In February 2015, Lytina found out she had fallen pregnant naturally as she was planning to undergo another round of IVF.

She said: "It was quite a shock. My husband and I were waiting for a miscarriage. We just presumed it was going to happen.

"Every day was so hard. I didn't go places and I didn't drive because I didn't want to add any unnecessary stress. It was horrific.

"I didn't tell my family. I didn't tell anyone. I didn't want people to get excited for a miscarriage to happen again. Luckily you couldn't tell I was pregnant."

Lytina gave birth to her first daughter, Kiran, via a planned C-section at the Queen's Medical Centre in September 2015.

In November, twin babies Kajal and Kavita were born in India after the hospital decided that, as a goodwill gesture, they had transferred the last four embryos to a surrogate mother.

And a month later, Lytina flew over to India to meet the twins and complete the process for bringing them home.

But while she was over there, she discovered she had fallen pregnant naturally again.

Lytina said: "My second pregnancy happened very quickly. I didn't know I was pregnant. I had Kiran and the doctors told me it probably wouldn't happen again and I must've just had a strong egg.

"Within six weeks I had two other girls as I went to pick up Kajal and Kavita from India so it was very busy. I didn't have time to think. It was quite overwhelming.

"I got to India and I realised I hadn't had a period for a while but I didn't really think anything of it. Then I found out I was 13 weeks pregnant."

image: http://www.nottinghampost.com/images/localworld/ugc-images/276368/binaries/NOMF20170109F-369_C.JPG

Kiyara was born premature - 28 weeks - at Queen's Medical Centre in June 2016. She spent nine weeks on the neonatal ward before she was able to return home.

Lytina said: "She came early but she has no health complications. In the end, we were really lucky.

"I was just enjoying my life and suddenly, within nine months, it turned crazy.

"I do miss being able to go out whenever I want to but I love spending time with my kids and I need to make the most because they'll be in school in a few years' time.

"Luckily I've got my mum and she's pretty hands on, she's been incredible. I don't go anywhere, my life is devoted to the children now and we create our own playgroups at home.

"They will all be in the same year group when they start school which I'm happy about as they're quite close as there's not much of an age gap between them. That will probably change when they turn into teenagers though!"

Read more: Mum tracks down waitress who calmed down screaming toddler to say thanks

Lytina told the Post she goes through a box of 82 nappies every five to six days – and that she has also stopped counting the amount of baby formula and food she uses.

She added: "I'm really lucky because the girls have always been good sleepers. There is a struggle getting them all to bed but once they are asleep they don't wake up until about 7.30am or 8am."

Read more at http://www.nottinghampost.com/meet-the-woman-who-became-a-mum-to-four-children-in-just-nine-months/story-30042079-detail/story.html#HPRSHQIbVzjAl60S.99

http://www.nottinghampost.com/meet-the-woman-who-became-a-mum-to-four-children-in-just-nine-months/story-30042079-detail/story.html

1 person likes this

I have personally met and worked with Lytina when she was a young lady has her housing officer while at HLG. I feel truly humbled that her life is now so fulfilled and filled with happiness and beautiful children. Tears of Joy  for you after reading your story Lytina Kaur..

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Topics

• questions were only brought up after the chabeel attack as a form of justification but I've never seen or heard  anything to back up the accusation
    •   Genie, I agree with the spirit of your suggestions, but I'm afraid the situation for Sikhs in America is much different than it is for Sikhs in England  The biggest difference is our population density, and that makes it harder than you might realize to accomplish some of your goals. America has a population that is 6 times as large as the population of England.  On the other hand, America has only half as many Sikhs as England.  To make matters worse, while Sikhs in England are almost entirely concentrated around the London metropolitan area or the West Midlands (two regions that, by American standards, are very close to each other anyway), Sikhs in America are spread out all over the place.  There are only a few places where we have sizable numbers, and even in those cases, it's not remotely close to what you would find in London, Birmingham, Vancouver, Toronto, etc.  To put this in perspective, take two places where incidents have occurred: Gresham, Oregon and Oak Creek, Wisconsin.  Oregon is on the west coast, so you might think it is close to the Sikh community in California, but it is in fact 1000 miles from where I live in Los Angeles (same distance between London and Madrid).  Oak Creek is about 900 miles from New York, and 2000 miles from Los Angeles (greater than the distance between London and Istanbul). So when you ask Sikhs in America what they are going to do about these incidents, and I'm sitting here in Los Angeles, it would sound like me asking Sikhs in London or Birmingham what they are going to do about a random incident that affected the tiny Sikh communities in Madrid, or Athens, or Rome, or Norway, or Belgium.  It's hard to respond collectively as a "community" when the community is so thinly dispersed.  We just don't have the numbers.   I think having a private security force to protect Gurdwaras is a good idea.  However, I am not sure how feasible it would be in terms of raising the money required to fund such an operation.  Also, I imagine a lot of these Gurdwaras in isolated areas have very few sangat and may only be open irregularly.  Does the Sikh community have the resources to provide private security for Gurdwaras in far off places with just a handful of sangat?  Moreoever, such a security force would not address issues that take place outside of Gurdwaras.   What the Sikh community in America has done is establish organizations such as the Sikh Coalition and SALDEF (Sikh American Legal Defense & Education Fund).  These organizations help spread awareness about the Sikh community and provide legal resources to fight for civil rights and fight against hate crimes.  I think that is actually the most effective use of the community's resources, given how spread out and small we are.   Also, while I share your frustration with Sikhs seemingly fighting for other people's interests and neglecting their own, there is a method to their madness.  With how small we are as a community, one of the most effective ways to fight for and ensure our rights and security is to ally with other groups and organizations who are sympathetic to our plight.  By banding together with other oppressed groups who face similar challenges, we are stronger.     I'll add one thing: I think Sikhs in America should take it upon themselves not to live in the middle of nowhere.  We should try to live in metropolitan areas with a relatively large number of Sikhs and a relatively liberal community.  It is a shame that we are as spread out as we are.
    • *URGENT* Property Sale or Rent: URGENT REQUEST TO ALL There is potential of a halal meat shop opening in close proximity of Singh Sabha Gurdwara Sahib Somerset Road Handsworth Wood. The landlord has been made aware of the offence meat sale at the premises will cause to the Sikh Community which indeed will result in an outright objection by Sikhs across UK who fundamentally condemn this. While he understands this as an issue, he as a businessman has indicated the loss he is making with a vacant property. It is a MIXED USE commercial property with self-contained accommodation above. The property already has a constant rental income for the accommodation. There are 2 urgent options proposed to the Sikh Community: Purchase of the property (Currently on market for £149,995, offers are invited) Letting the property on a long-term lease As the Gurdwara are not currently in a position to undertake either of the above options, *we* *are calling upon anyone that may be interested in pursuing the request* Specifications of the property with both options can be made available upon request. The property is located on Somerset Road, Handsworth Wood, Birmingham, B20 2JG. For further information or to express an interest please contact Mandeep Singh, Committee Member of Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Handsworth Wood on 07584374686 or email any inquiries to singhsabhagurdw
      ara@live.com. We urge all members of the sangat to spread this advertisement as much as possible. Thank you- Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Somerset Road.
    • Now that article 50 has been invoked and the UK is set to leave the EU club. What are the ramification for British Sikhs and Sikhs in the EU? What are the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats once the UK regains its sovereign parliamentary powers.
    • I think you mean Bradford. However, legal action is never a gimmie. It is, moreover, costly. If the halal meat seller does buy the property, there would need to be a planning application to the local council for change of use because the shop is currently a beauty salon. As a neighbour, the Gurdwara would have the right to oppose any application, therefore, the first recourse would be to the local council. However, the anticipated success or failure of this approach depends very much on council policy. I am no expert on this specific area. What I do know is that pak muslims have majority influence in Birmingham just through sheer volume of presence through population. Given many of the councillors, and even the MPs, are muslim, I fear that a challenge to a planning application would simply be brushed aside.   Let's not be coy about this. It will be the latter.