Jump to content
Big_Tera

Winter Sun destinations

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Self catered villa. ¬†Sounds good. Maybe I could pack my roti and take it to lanzaroti. ūüėÄūüėÉ

Okay enough of that joke .

Always wanted go to Brazil. Amazing rain forests and views. Any suggestions on places to visit? Only place I know is Rio but seems mostly a City type place. 

My hubby is from the neighbouring state Espirito Santo ,and his home town is Vitoria (I found this strange : from a town called Fateh in the state called spirit of the saints). Any way we are located about 600km north of Rio , it is a busy port with loads of beaches and Islands, lagoons and mangroves. The good thing about Brasil is that it is starting to increase support of nature reserves and projects helping wildlife .

This time round we took Isher Kaur to a nature reserve to swim in a lagoon , previously when she was two we took her and the boys to a project called Projecto Tamar which incubates turtle eggs and releases them to the wild , also helps injured stranded adults : they got to hand release baby leatherbacks to the ocean.She also visited a coupe of new cousins in Ouro Preto which is a very old colonial town with 13 churches in the hills of Minas Gerais (the streets are very steep in places) views are pretty.

When the boys were little we went to another state to the interior Minas Gerais, to Serra de Canastra (a wild preserve) and did a trek up a mesa (table top mountain) enjoyed the pool at the approach to a waterfall   and then came back down to the homestead farm we were staying at with traditional wood stove (smells of pind from my memory bank came flooding back) The boys loved it so much there , no phones or internet , nothing  they were treated by the elderly couple there to rides on their horses , amritvela was magical , with hummingbirds coming to check me out in the early light . The boys loved the pool so much they went up the mesa a second time just for it , they saw a wild armadillo (Tatu in Portuguese) termite mounds , fire ants , only worry was the dirt roads if it rained hard we could get stuck and getting bitten by snakes (dead before reaching hospital) by forewarned is forearmed. 

Sao paulo is a massive city much more cosmopolitan due to large asian population, it has a gurdwara

Plans are to do the Pantanal sometime but it is very time dependant ...

Edited by jkvlondon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

My hubby is from the neighbouring state Espirito Santo ,and his home town is Vitoria (I found this strange : from a town called Fateh in the state called spirit of the saints). Any way we are located about 600km north of Rio , it is a busy port with loads of beaches and Islands, lagoons and mangroves. The good thing about Brasil is that it is starting to increase support of nature reserves and projects helping wildlife .

This time round we took Isher Kaur to a nature reserve to swim in a lagoon , previously when she was two we took her and the boys to a project called Projecto Tamar which incubates turtle eggs and releases them to the wild , also helps injured stranded adults : they got to hand release baby leatherbacks to the ocean.She also visited a coupe of new cousins in Ouro Preto which is a very old colonial town with 13 churches in the hills of Minas Gerais (the streets are very steep in places) views are pretty.

When the boys were little we went to another state to the interior Minas Gerais, to Serra de Canastra (a wild preserve) and did a trek up a mesa (table top mountain) enjoyed the pool at the approach to a waterfall   and then came back down to the homestead farm we were staying at with traditional wood stove (smells of pind from my memory bank came flooding back) The boys loved it so much there , no phones or internet , nothing  they were treated by the elderly couple there to rides on their horses , amritvela was magical , with hummingbirds coming to check me out in the early light . The boys loved the pool so much they went up the mesa a second time just for it , they saw a wild armadillo (Tatu in Portuguese) termite mounds , fire ants , only worry was the dirt roads if it rained hard we could get stuck and getting bitten by snakes (dead before reaching hospital) by forewarned is forearmed. 

Sao paulo is a massive city much more cosmopolitan due to large asian population, it has a gurdwara

Plans are to do the Pantanal sometime but it is very time dependant ...

Wow this sounds great, the humming birds, wildlife, horses, ocean and mountains, all in one destination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2017 at 2:30 PM, simran345 said:

Wow this sounds great, the humming birds, wildlife, horses, ocean and mountains, all in one destination. 

 

On 08/01/2017 at 1:04 PM, jkvlondon said:

My hubby is from the neighbouring state Espirito Santo ,and his home town is Vitoria (I found this strange : from a town called Fateh in the state called spirit of the saints). Any way we are located about 600km north of Rio , it is a busy port with loads of beaches and Islands, lagoons and mangroves. The good thing about Brasil is that it is starting to increase support of nature reserves and projects helping wildlife .

This time round we took Isher Kaur to a nature reserve to swim in a lagoon , previously when she was two we took her and the boys to a project called Projecto Tamar which incubates turtle eggs and releases them to the wild , also helps injured stranded adults : they got to hand release baby leatherbacks to the ocean.She also visited a coupe of new cousins in Ouro Preto which is a very old colonial town with 13 churches in the hills of Minas Gerais (the streets are very steep in places) views are pretty.

When the boys were little we went to another state to the interior Minas Gerais, to Serra de Canastra (a wild preserve) and did a trek up a mesa (table top mountain) enjoyed the pool at the approach to a waterfall   and then came back down to the homestead farm we were staying at with traditional wood stove (smells of pind from my memory bank came flooding back) The boys loved it so much there , no phones or internet , nothing  they were treated by the elderly couple there to rides on their horses , amritvela was magical , with hummingbirds coming to check me out in the early light . The boys loved the pool so much they went up the mesa a second time just for it , they saw a wild armadillo (Tatu in Portuguese) termite mounds , fire ants , only worry was the dirt roads if it rained hard we could get stuck and getting bitten by snakes (dead before reaching hospital) by forewarned is forearmed. 

Sao paulo is a massive city much more cosmopolitan due to large asian population, it has a gurdwara

Plans are to do the Pantanal sometime but it is very time dependant ...

 

Sounds like it was a big adventure out there. Im not suprised by the size of the country. Must have a very diverse land scape. Would love to go but its a but quite a pricey place to visit? Or maybe the pound will give good exhange rates 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

 

 

Sounds like it was a big adventure out there. Im not suprised by the size of the country. Must have a very diverse land scape. Would love to go but its a but quite a pricey place to visit? Or maybe the pound will give good exhange rates 

Just be mindful that JKV's husband and in-laws are Brazilian.  They will know the ins and outs of the country.

Brazil is a dangerous country and you need to be careful out there.

If you go with a reputable travel company or even someone from there who you can trust to show you around then you should enjoy yourself.

I imagine the Rio Olympics and the World Cup have hiked prices up.

Also if you learn some Portuguese if you go out there,  it 's not quite the same as Brazilian Portuguese.

Everyone in Portugal knows Brazilian Portuguese because of the TV channels, however I heard that Brazilians find Portuguese in Portugal difficult to understand.

The Latin languages spoken in South American is not quite the same as the European continent. They are quite flamboyant and bouncy languages spoken. There is a channel called Record TV  (a Brazilian channel) and when I first heard Brazilian Portuguese I was laughing because of the way it is spoken. I don't understand Portuguese other than obrigado, parabens etc but is funny to listen to.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

 

 

Sounds like it was a big adventure out there. Im not suprised by the size of the country. Must have a very diverse land scape. Would love to go but its a but quite a pricey place to visit? Or maybe the pound will give good exhange rates 

currently the exchange rate is 4 reais to 1 pound , the cost there is relatively similar for foods , clothes . There is very diverse landscapes within Brasil , and cultural influences unfortunately they are getting the USA homogenising disease so I would go before they lose their main selling points.

Obviously street smarts are vital whereever you go on the planet and Brasil is no different , as for ins and outs nah you don't need a huge amount of help , we did roadtrip using googlemaps for directions , worked fine. 

pronounciation of Brasilian portguese is different on certain letters but spellings are similar to European e.g.

RAPAZ - meaning dude guy is pronounced Rapaz in Portugal but Ha-paz in Brasil -- the R followed by a vowel at the beginning of a word  becomes a H    so Rosa =Rose becomes Hosa  and the family joke is my American step-saura came running when my saas shouted look Louis it's Hockey on TV ...he's turns the corner and is confronted by Sly Stallone instead of Canandians on ice as he was expecting .

Ti at the start of a word becomes Chi 

Di becomes Ji    so Princessa Jiana  is the pronounciation of Princessa Diana (written down)

Brasilians speak in a superanimated way it is comical to watch but gets wearing when it is used all the time , hyperbole is used a lot too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2017 at 0:05 PM, jkvlondon said:

currently the exchange rate is 4 reais to 1 pound , the cost there is relatively similar for foods , clothes . There is very diverse landscapes within Brasil , and cultural influences unfortunately they are getting the USA homogenising disease so I would go before they lose their main selling points.

Obviously street smarts are vital whereever you go on the planet and Brasil is no different , as for ins and outs nah you don't need a huge amount of help , we did roadtrip using googlemaps for directions , worked fine. 

pronounciation of Brasilian portguese is different on certain letters but spellings are similar to European e.g.

RAPAZ - meaning dude guy is pronounced Rapaz in Portugal but Ha-paz in Brasil -- the R followed by a vowel at the beginning of a word  becomes a H    so Rosa =Rose becomes Hosa  and the family joke is my American step-saura came running when my saas shouted look Louis it's Hockey on TV ...he's turns the corner and is confronted by Sly Stallone instead of Canandians on ice as he was expecting .

Ti at the start of a word becomes Chi 

Di becomes Ji    so Princessa Jiana  is the pronounciation of Princessa Diana (written down)

Brasilians speak in a superanimated way it is comical to watch but gets wearing when it is used all the time , hyperbole is used a lot too.

Jkv Thanks for  the advice. Might take some lessons in the language or learn a few common phrazes. I alway have my language translation app. May go sometime in the future hopefully. 

p.s 

I have decided on Lanzarote -Costa Teguise resort. Hopefully its hot there and good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×