Winter Sun destinations

Big_Tera

1 hour ago, Big_Tera said:

That Is actually the predicament I am in. Dont know wheather to go Tenerife or Lanzaroti. Both look nice. What resort did you to?

lanazroti sounds more familiar as maybe they will have places where I can get some good desi roti. lol  ^_^

Tenerife is much more heavily populated, where as Lanzarote is the closest to the African continent.

Technically speaking the Canaries are Africa rather than Europe.

Because it is close by the Sahara, it can get windy.

Lanzarote is predominantly populated on it's east coast because there is a lot of volcanic activity on the west coast, there are like only 3 villages.

There are plenty of Indian restaurants, so there is no worry about getting roti.

Enough of the geography lesson, your holiday is what you make of it. Book it and think of it as an adventure. 

3 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Tenerife is much more heavily populated, where as Lanzarote is the closest to the African continent.

Technically speaking the Canaries are Africa rather than Europe.

Because it is close by the Sahara, it can get windy.

Lanzarote is predominantly populated on it's east coast because there is a lot of volcanic activity on the west coast, there are like only 3 villages.

There are plenty of Indian restaurants, so there is no worry about getting roti.

Enough of the geography lesson, your holiday is what you make of it. Book it and think of it as an adventure. 

Thats amazing alsong as theres plenty of roti in lanzarote. ill be happy. Dont like going long without desi curries. lol

Interesting did not know it actually part of Africa. one thing I like is the location very remote. Hope the weather is okay. Ill being leaving in late January which is like winter time in the Canaries. 

Not sure I would like to go to a village though. I like a bit of action. Not to quiet and lifeless. 

On 06/01/2017 at 0:01 PM, jkvlondon said:

or better still look for a self-catered flat or villa , then you will be sure to be closer to the natives and away from the rabble ... Sardinia was nice in this respect , just got back from Brasil and the in-laws ... 32-35 degrees most days  they are southern hemisphere so in their summer, v expensive ticket-wise from 13 dec through to Easter . 

Canary Islands could be nice ...

Self catered villa.  Sounds good. Maybe I could pack my roti and take it to lanzaroti. ??

Okay enough of that joke .

Always wanted go to Brazil. Amazing rain forests and views. Any suggestions on places to visit? Only place I know is Rio but seems mostly a City type place. 

16 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Self catered villa.  Sounds good. Maybe I could pack my roti and take it to lanzaroti. ??

Okay enough of that joke .

Always wanted go to Brazil. Amazing rain forests and views. Any suggestions on places to visit? Only place I know is Rio but seems mostly a City type place. 

My hubby is from the neighbouring state Espirito Santo ,and his home town is Vitoria (I found this strange : from a town called Fateh in the state called spirit of the saints). Any way we are located about 600km north of Rio , it is a busy port with loads of beaches and Islands, lagoons and mangroves. The good thing about Brasil is that it is starting to increase support of nature reserves and projects helping wildlife .

This time round we took Isher Kaur to a nature reserve to swim in a lagoon , previously when she was two we took her and the boys to a project called Projecto Tamar which incubates turtle eggs and releases them to the wild , also helps injured stranded adults : they got to hand release baby leatherbacks to the ocean.She also visited a coupe of new cousins in Ouro Preto which is a very old colonial town with 13 churches in the hills of Minas Gerais (the streets are very steep in places) views are pretty.

When the boys were little we went to another state to the interior Minas Gerais, to Serra de Canastra (a wild preserve) and did a trek up a mesa (table top mountain) enjoyed the pool at the approach to a waterfall   and then came back down to the homestead farm we were staying at with traditional wood stove (smells of pind from my memory bank came flooding back) The boys loved it so much there , no phones or internet , nothing  they were treated by the elderly couple there to rides on their horses , amritvela was magical , with hummingbirds coming to check me out in the early light . The boys loved the pool so much they went up the mesa a second time just for it , they saw a wild armadillo (Tatu in Portuguese) termite mounds , fire ants , only worry was the dirt roads if it rained hard we could get stuck and getting bitten by snakes (dead before reaching hospital) by forewarned is forearmed. 

Sao paulo is a massive city much more cosmopolitan due to large asian population, it has a gurdwara

Plans are to do the Pantanal sometime but it is very time dependant ...

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

My hubby is from the neighbouring state Espirito Santo ,and his home town is Vitoria (I found this strange : from a town called Fateh in the state called spirit of the saints). Any way we are located about 600km north of Rio , it is a busy port with loads of beaches and Islands, lagoons and mangroves. The good thing about Brasil is that it is starting to increase support of nature reserves and projects helping wildlife .

This time round we took Isher Kaur to a nature reserve to swim in a lagoon , previously when she was two we took her and the boys to a project called Projecto Tamar which incubates turtle eggs and releases them to the wild , also helps injured stranded adults : they got to hand release baby leatherbacks to the ocean.She also visited a coupe of new cousins in Ouro Preto which is a very old colonial town with 13 churches in the hills of Minas Gerais (the streets are very steep in places) views are pretty.

When the boys were little we went to another state to the interior Minas Gerais, to Serra de Canastra (a wild preserve) and did a trek up a mesa (table top mountain) enjoyed the pool at the approach to a waterfall   and then came back down to the homestead farm we were staying at with traditional wood stove (smells of pind from my memory bank came flooding back) The boys loved it so much there , no phones or internet , nothing  they were treated by the elderly couple there to rides on their horses , amritvela was magical , with hummingbirds coming to check me out in the early light . The boys loved the pool so much they went up the mesa a second time just for it , they saw a wild armadillo (Tatu in Portuguese) termite mounds , fire ants , only worry was the dirt roads if it rained hard we could get stuck and getting bitten by snakes (dead before reaching hospital) by forewarned is forearmed. 

Sao paulo is a massive city much more cosmopolitan due to large asian population, it has a gurdwara

Wow this sounds great, the humming birds, wildlife, horses, ocean and mountains, all in one destination. 

On 08/01/2017 at 2:30 PM, simran345 said:

Wow this sounds great, the humming birds, wildlife, horses, ocean and mountains, all in one destination. 

On 08/01/2017 at 1:04 PM, jkvlondon said:

Sounds like it was a big adventure out there. Im not suprised by the size of the country. Must have a very diverse land scape. Would love to go but its a but quite a pricey place to visit? Or maybe the pound will give good exhange rates 

6 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Sounds like it was a big adventure out there. Im not suprised by the size of the country. Must have a very diverse land scape. Would love to go but its a but quite a pricey place to visit? Or maybe the pound will give good exhange rates 

Just be mindful that JKV's husband and in-laws are Brazilian.  They will know the ins and outs of the country.

Brazil is a dangerous country and you need to be careful out there.

If you go with a reputable travel company or even someone from there who you can trust to show you around then you should enjoy yourself.

I imagine the Rio Olympics and the World Cup have hiked prices up.

Also if you learn some Portuguese if you go out there,  it 's not quite the same as Brazilian Portuguese.

Everyone in Portugal knows Brazilian Portuguese because of the TV channels, however I heard that Brazilians find Portuguese in Portugal difficult to understand.

The Latin languages spoken in South American is not quite the same as the European continent. They are quite flamboyant and bouncy languages spoken. There is a channel called Record TV  (a Brazilian channel) and when I first heard Brazilian Portuguese I was laughing because of the way it is spoken. I don't understand Portuguese other than obrigado, parabens etc but is funny to listen to.

11 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

currently the exchange rate is 4 reais to 1 pound , the cost there is relatively similar for foods , clothes . There is very diverse landscapes within Brasil , and cultural influences unfortunately they are getting the USA homogenising disease so I would go before they lose their main selling points.

Obviously street smarts are vital whereever you go on the planet and Brasil is no different , as for ins and outs nah you don't need a huge amount of help , we did roadtrip using googlemaps for directions , worked fine. 

pronounciation of Brasilian portguese is different on certain letters but spellings are similar to European e.g.

RAPAZ - meaning dude guy is pronounced Rapaz in Portugal but Ha-paz in Brasil -- the R followed by a vowel at the beginning of a word  becomes a H    so Rosa =Rose becomes Hosa  and the family joke is my American step-saura came running when my saas shouted look Louis it's Hockey on TV ...he's turns the corner and is confronted by Sly Stallone instead of Canandians on ice as he was expecting .

Ti at the start of a word becomes Chi 

Di becomes Ji    so Princessa Jiana  is the pronounciation of Princessa Diana (written down)

Brasilians speak in a superanimated way it is comical to watch but gets wearing when it is used all the time , hyperbole is used a lot too.