Sikh Awareness

18 hours ago, genie said:

Well good riddance at the end of the day, the less useless left wing forums there are like sikh awareness the more traffic this place gets.

Why is in-depth learning of Sikh philosophy and Sikh theology "left-wing and/or useless"?

18 hours ago, genie said:

We need proper guidance from learned Sikhs guiding our youth and new sikhs to stay away from the traps of modern society to ensure we have a healthy community for the next decades to come.

Again, how did in-depth learning of Sikh theology and Sikh philosophy work against "proper" guidance from learned Sikhs?

3 hours ago, proactive said:

That's not the SA I remember. The site was biased towards the Nangs and allowed them full rein to post whatever bukwas they wanted. The site was 'fake news' before fake news became famous.  Lately they allowed their resident Jat hater Dal Singh to turn every thread into a Jat bashing thread. 

The days you are talking about was when the sanatanists were there. They have been long gone from Sikh Awareness.

Do you remember the hindu nationalist "Sher" and others like him and how we used to debate on that forum to combat their lies and propoganda? A year or three ago? The sanantis had long vanished by then.

1 hour ago, Akalifauj said:

I wouldn't be surprised...lol.  when I viewed Sikh awareness the members were always swearing at each other.  Dalsingh, Chatanga, lucksingh99, even there admin would get involved to swear at members who presented a different view.  But when it came to tackling the nang and their views.  These internet warriors were hiding in the dirt. 

Swearing at each other? Calling each other names? Yeah bwoi, we moved on from that a long time ago. Kinda grew up. But look at who didn't.

The nangs were on their way down when I joined Sikh Awareness. But the Vaishnavs, HIndu nationalist/extremists and the anti-Dasam Granth brigade were there. Along with others I confronted their lies, and anyone who read that forum regularly would see that.

But where were you Akali Fauj? Tell us even one post you made where you rebutted the lies of the anti-Dasam Granth brigade who have been peddling their filth on that forum for the last three years.  What dirt were you hiding in?

What dirt were you hiding in when the Vaishnavs tried their hardest to convince everyone that Gurmat was an extension of Vaishnav mat?

What dirt were you hiding in when you had posters like "Amandeep HIndustani" and "Sher" peddling their hindutva propaganda?

1 hour ago, chatanga said:

Swearing at each other? Calling each other names? Yeah bwoi, we moved on from that a long time ago. Kinda grew up. But look at who didn't.

I tell you what Chatanga. Whatever arguments we had. Whatever harsh words were ever said between us. And whatever theoretically we might say in future. It don't mean a thing to me. I hear a thousand times worse stuff at work all the time. 

But what has stayed with me more than any of that, is the growth we did together. All the time we spent increasing our vocabulary on that vocab thread, all the translations we knocked our heads on together (the lassi and cha thing was legendary), the manuscripts we looked at together.

See that's why I personally don't mind a certain type of language - as long as it accompanied by true, solid attainment of knowledge. I remember that one 'uncle' from backhome, who'd have mad random abusive fits that used to drive Satnam nuts. I tolerated him, even when he'd turn on me because in the end he used to drop some serious references for us to study, that we would probably not have been blessed to study otherwise. 

6 hours ago, chatanga said:

Why is in-depth learning of Sikh philosophy and Sikh theology "left-wing and/or useless"?

6 hours ago, chatanga said:

Again, how did in-depth learning of Sikh theology and Sikh philosophy work against "proper" guidance from learned Sikhs?

I was basically referring to the input and interference from the mods.....one in particular really made me think that forum was run by left wing extremist nutjobs who are determined to make sikhi into some hippy free for all cult when he started a thread on "sikh extremism" and used references like "sikh taliban" and "khalibani" these terms are what enemies of Sikhs use. we can see them on facebook pages used by shiv sena and hindu punjabi brahmin extremists. Seeing a so called sikh mod create topics and refer to fellow sikhs akin to nazi-jews is madness thats why i had no participation in that forum or any respect of it.

There may have been great stuff on there to learn about but I never found anything much useful on there. This forum has been my number source of knowledge about sikh related topics especially controversy subjects. When various forums popped up and people split off to join those instead of contributing on this site it devalued what we could learn from each other. There have been some great posters on this site over the years that I no longer see on here maybe they have changed usernames, or went to another forum or got banned or just quit forums posting altogether.

So for that reason I think its a good idea we have one central point for debates and discussions and it should be this site. Even if sikh awareness comes online again i still wouldnt ditch this site for that as this site has generated many gems of knowledge that has helped thousands of sikhs understand their faith and sikh history better. Don't think any other forum has that wider reach...

14 hours ago, genie said:

So for that reason I think its a good idea we have one central point for debates and discussions and it should be this site. Even if sikh awareness comes online again i still wouldnt ditch this site for that as this site has generated many gems of knowledge that has helped thousands of sikhs understand their faith and sikh history better. Don't think any other forum has that wider reach...

I don't think that is a good idea myself. I think different forums have different emphasis and interests. I learned A LOT from SA. It's the forum that got me started on naam simran for example. It also improved my Panjabi no end.

The other issue is becoming a group-think sheep. We have a problem with this in our community. I'd favour a broader approach to what you are saying myself. 

Yes, there are some forums who are very..errr...'kumba yaa' and fail to face up to difficult issues when these go against mainstream western thought. SA was never one of them. 

The other thing I'd say is to avoid posting serious research on one forum only, that way, if it goes down, we are stuck. We should have important information accessible from multiple sources (i.e. duplicates available elsewhere). Otherwise we may repeat the issue with the Central Library in Amritsar being burnt down. That's a hard lesson to learn. 

20 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

But what has stayed with me more than any of that, is the growth we did together. All the time we spent increasing our vocabulary on that vocab thread, all the translations we knocked our heads on together (the lassi and cha thing was legendary), the manuscripts we looked at together.

Yes, it was subjects like these that made the forum enjoyable. I learned so much from the work that we looked at collectively. Going back to the mad uncle, it was a blessing in disguide having him there, as he in a perverse way, actually got us to look at older historical texts by oursleves rather than just beleiving whatever had been writtne prior.

Cha and lassi...:rofl had forgotten about that.

I never got round to joining the SA forum, but used to sometimes browse it and I also enjoyed reading the meditation/Simran sections, and experiences also.  I didn't get to read the deeper topics though, but it was laid out well, easy to read. 

16 minutes ago, hsingh8963 said:

Waheguru,

Haven't posted here in awhile.

Has anyone contacted Neo? 

There were some great bits of knowledge of SA. Meditation Techniques... Experiences! "Am I Allowed to Share?"

Would anyone happened to have a copy of the Q&A with Sant Baba Darshan Singh Ji Dhakki Sahib Wale?

Singh123456777, Chatanga, Dally! Hope you're doing well Jio! It's been awhile!