Education

Arshdeepsingh

10 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I understand your point on a purely spiritual plain. But from what I can see, Sikhi itself has a broad education embedded within. If we look at bani (including the Dasam Granth), we see that it does cover a broad expanse of subject matter (i.e. not just spiritual). If we also look at dasam pita's early life, we also see some serious and sustained effort being made to raise the intellectual levels of his Sikhs through literature. If we perceive this as a whole (Sikhi from our Guru Granth and Dasam Granth as well as irrefutable historical evidence), it doesn't appear as if there is a line between Sikhi as a spiritual endeavour and Sikhi as a vehicle for intellectual and social (and even societal) development. 

Brother Dallysingh101 Jee,

I have no where stated that both education and sikhee can not co-exist at the same time; even in my upper post I said each one is necessary in its respective field, my only point was the to the OP, as he said that, education is essential  for sikhee to exist.

It is here where I differ.

As one can be uneducated, but still be very much with the essence of sikhee, for to do His bhakti and become one with Him, which is all sikhee about, worldly gyan is not essential at all. The education of the world, is for the world, no matter even if one is a genius, it will not take you even an inch towards Him.

On the other side, even if one is intellectually dumb, but pure in heart and mind, then brother with His grace, even Brahma, Vishnu or Mahadev and their consorts, are tiny in comparison with the bhagat jan, gyan wise, as that sikh devotee, becomes a Brahmgyani, by becoming one with beloved Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

I will never ever advise anyone to not get education at its best, because while being in the world, we have to know about it, and the more the better, but we should not think that  education is essential to have His darshan, or get closer to Him.

Ravan had all the gyan possible, he even had accsess to the gods, but because he never knew about sikhee - bhakti, he never knew anything about Akal Purukh, nor did the entities to whom he worshipped, ever knew anything about Wahiguru.

For that purpose we have to strictly walk on the path of sikhee/Gurmat.

That´s it.

Sat Sree Akal.

1 hour ago, harsharan000 said:

Brother Dallysingh101 Jee,

I have no where stated that both education and sikhee can not co-exist at the same time; even in my upper post I said each one is necessary in its respective field, my only point was the to the OP, as he said that, education is essential  for sikhee to exist.

It is here where I differ.

As one can be uneducated, but still be very much with the essence of sikhee, for to do His bhakti and become one with Him, which is all sikhee about, worldly gyan is not essential at all. The education of the world, is for the world, no matter even if one is a genius, it will not take you even an inch towards Him.

On the other side, even if one is intellectually dumb, but pure in heart and mind, then brother with His grace, even Brahma, Vishnu or Mahadev and their consorts, are tiny in comparison with the bhagat jan, gyan wise, as that sikh devotee, becomes a Brahmgyani, by becoming one with beloved Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

I will never ever advise anyone to not get education at its best, because while being in the world, we have to know about it, and the more the better, but we should not think that  education is essential to have His darshan, or get closer to Him.

Ravan had all the gyan possible, he even had accsess to the gods, but because he never knew about sikhee - bhakti, he never knew anything about Akal Purukh, nor did the entities to whom he worshipped, ever knew anything about Wahiguru.

For that purpose we have to strictly walk on the path of sikhee/Gurmat.

That´s it.

Sat Sree Akal.

I understand what you are saying brother. I think I should clarify my own position. When I say I believe education is an integral part of Sikhi, I'm not solely referring to formal academic education (though Sikhs should excel in this and go way beyond it if they are capable), because all formal education systems are essentially conditioning to make people useful in the local (national) economy and not much else. 

Guru Gobind Singh ji himself promoted and encouraged a broad education. Now if Sikhi includes following the direction of our Gurus, and I mean wider than just personal rehat, as in also understanding other social, corporate and personal developmental aspects of what they did as our divine guides. Then I still maintain that a broad education is part of Sikhi. This isn't just in literature, but other things such as the use of weaponry. These were all part and parcel of Guru ji's Sikhs lives (as pushed by Guru ji themselves).

I remember a sakhi (I think it was in Parchian Sewa Das? I just tried finding it but didn't have any luck), where dasmesh pita throws reed pens over the sangat in the darbar and said words to the effect of: Now none of my Sikhs are illiterate!

This is worth watching too - The volume is low and you'll need speakers or good headphones! It really brings home how broad the subjects studied at Anandpur where....

10 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

I understand what you are saying brother. I think I should clarify my own position. When I say I believe education is an integral part of Sikhi, I'm not solely referring to formal academic education. Sikhs should excel in this and go way beyond it if they are capable, because all formal education systems are essentially conditioning to make people useful in the local (national) economy and not much else. 

Guru Gobind Singh ji himself promoted and encouraged a broad education. Now if Sikhi includes following the direction of our Gurus, and I mean wider than just personal rehat, as in also understanding other social, corporate and personal developmental aspects of what they did as our divine guides. Then I still maintain that a broad education is part of Sikhi. This isn't just in literature, but other things such as the use of weaponry. These were all part and parcel of Guru ji's Sikhs lives (as pushed by Guru ji themselves).

I remember a sakhi (I think it was in Parchian Sewa Das? I just tried finding it but didn't have any luck), where dasmesh pita throws reed pens over the sangat in the darbar and said words to the effect of: Now none of my Sikhs are illiterate!

This is worth watching too - The volume is low and you'll need speakers or good headphones! It really brings home how broad the subjects studied at Anandpur where....

Exactly, even before embarking on Santhiya of Gurbani many teachers used to make their students read other various scriptures to properly understand what was being said. That being said not all the scriptures were spiritually orientated, some were about the material world (e.g not all the Vedas discussed spirituality). While its admirable that people so strongly believe that Gurbani will bless them with Brahmgyan, not everyone is destined to be a brahmgyani, its best if we let go of that shallow idea that one day we'll reach that stage and we'll be all knowing so who needs education.