Bhangra

Big_Tera

42 minutes ago, Preeet said:

Kaur ji, what you are saying to me is not with shanti.. You just said that 'it's fine' for me to be like this, and then told me to 'stop being clever and grow up' (which makes you look confused?). Why are you concerned exclusively for only Punjabi youth regarding music, when our family is the world? We should focus on ram naam smaranam. . Your thought is good, but singers will not listen unless you are willing to pay their kharchas, since lalach is what brought them there to begin with.

Confused tha tu a.  I am saying to with shanti, you just don't understand.  Tu Pange lene hunde a Bas. Apay leyi ja, I'm finished replying with you, because you never make any sense, and carry on your ahankaari replies. Let's just end this one here. I'm not going to reply back to you, as this is what you do, never understand nothing, par kachumber kadi jana kise da.  Goodbye, have a nice day.  

We are taking about how Bhangra effects people. I'm talking about how these singers can make better songs as obviously they aren't going to stop and start making dharmic songs are they?

The situation is so bizarre that you'll actually get artists making the usual gundh casteist and alcohol promoting tunes who then have the gall to put out a dharmic album (usually around Vasaikhi time) when they are singing a totally different tune to their usual stuff. 

This sketch hits the nail on the head:

21 hours ago, simran345 said:

Preet I am replying with shanti, you should stop trying to make out I'm being aggressive when I'm only telling it how it is. 

You can brush it under the carpet, but don't expect anybody else to. I have my own opinions so I will write them and stop trying to push your opinions on to me. 

It's not my fault you don't understand the influence it is has on Punjabi youth, especially those in India. 

Just because music like this is produced doesn't mean we can't protest against it or make our views known. You can sit back and watch the tamasha that's fine, but don't try to belittle me for what I'm doing which is something positive. At least I'm doing something about it, rather than just reading and let somebody else write something. It's not just me, there plenty that comment on singers pages to let them know about their songs. So you can stop creating my views and opinions into something that they are not. Stop being clever and grow up. 

what do you expect? lol. She's a liar and fake, She's also shown she thinks she knows more than Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji so i wouldnt even bother barking up her tree.

Western Kids do understand what Bhangra is saying, yes there is loads of filth in these songs. If anything it goes to show how progressive Guru Sahib was considering they instructed us to sing Gurbani as they were well aware of the psychological impacts of music.

On 12/25/2016 at 10:45 AM, MisterrSingh said:

Was it Jagsaw that observed the quite insidious connection between the Muslim ownership of the major Punjabi music labels (in the UK) holding sway over our youth, whilst the Muslims themselves adhere to a strict culture that supposedly views such music and associated lifestyles as godless and haram? So they're basically corrupting our people (apologies for the oversimplification) whilst they shield their own from its affects? It seems they've learned something of the old western divide and conquer tactics. 

We sit here and bicker amongst ourselves, trying to pin the blame on one caste or another whilst the orchestrators of the divisions get rich. Wow.

That guy who pretty much owns the bhangra industry that you are talking about comes from the same caste that these tunes generally promote. But I agree that the strategy he is using is the one you are implying. We know our lot jump on anything that makes them feel good about themselves without a more shrewd, long-term perspective. The artists are going to take advantage of anyone throwing money their way i.e. the label.

I think it's more about inoculating the youth to what is going on by informing them. 

Forget about effects on youth. It has an effect on us all both consciously and subconsciously. It makes out that drinking and being a caste bigoted <banned word filter activated> is acceptable.  we need to eradicate certain elements of some bhangra songs from the main stream.  

Dont underestimate the power of the media and music and how it shapes our behaviour.  Just because you yourself might not get influenced what about the thousands who do. 

Look at the well known myth about Punjabis.  'That we are big drinkers'  people then feel proud of this tag and try to live up to it in real life.  

Traditional bhangra without silly caste references are perfectly fine.  Its the modern songs which feature women, booze and caste nonsense in a disrespectful way. 

1 hour ago, Big_Tera said:

Forget about effects on youth. It has an effect on us all both consciously and subconsciously. It makes out that drinking and being a caste bigoted <banned word filter activated> is acceptable.  we need to eradicate certain elements of some bhangra songs from the main stream.  

Dont underestimate the power of the media and music and how it shapes our behaviour.  Just because you yourself might not get influenced what about the thousands who do. 

Look at the well known myth about Punjabis.  'That we are big drinkers'  people then feel proud of this tag and try to live up to it in real life.  

Traditional bhangra without silly caste references are perfectly fine.  Its the modern songs which feature women, booze and caste nonsense in a disrespectful way. 

It DOES effect me. When I see it, it makes me embarrassed that this is my people and the kind of things they enjoy and focus on. That's probably why I try and avoid it now. I can finally see it for what it is, and I can finally see how other people perceive us (and not in a positive light) due to the repeated projection of this and its link to Sikhs. 

Its ridiculous blaming outsiders for this when our own lot happily and willingly consume it in droves.  Outsiders are just feeding a demand from within our community. We need to focus on limiting the demand for it amongst ourselves.