Bhangra

Big_Tera

If bhangra songs upset you, then you need to have a word with yourself instead of pinning the blame on an external issue. Why does certain music elicit a feeling of inadequacy in yourself? If you can't relate, then listen to something that does chime with you.

For the record I cannot stand bhangra, not so much for religious reasons, but for its incredible shallow nothingness. It's just noise.

Guest Jacfsing2
On 12/22/2016 at 5:10 AM, Big_Tera said:

Is Bhangra creating divisions in the sikh community. 

Alot of songs I cannot simply relate to as alot of songs are about farming which I have no connection with.  Also many songs big up their caste causing tensions?

The issue of Bhangra is not the problem at all, it's that some people let it brainwash their mind like unintelligent people. Just don't listen to Bhangra instead of complaining about it, if Daas ever has to hear songs due to be being in a place, Daas puts the message of Guru Sahib into it, for example if I had to listen to that romantic stuff Anglos make, I make the thought of love for Guru Sahib rather than any person.

On 12/22/2016 at 3:38 PM, MisterrSingh said:

Its not just about me. Bhangra is corrupting young naive minds into thinking drinking, partying, caste promotion is the norm. Obviously people who are older and more mature will know not to become influenced by such foolish songs.  But Does everyone remember when they were a teenager? At that age you are impressionable and not as wise.  

Its not only the songs but Bhnagra videos are becoming increasingly elicit  with women dancing half naked ect.  Is this the message we want to give to our youth. 

I find it very hard to believe that the average Punjabi youth particularly in the west who barely understand Punjabi will find themselves corrupted by bhangra.

Unless the dhol beat and the tumbi twang somehow leads the youth astray like some pied piper.

If bhangra is becoming lewd then they are following their cues from booty shaking African American culture.

38 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I find it very hard to believe that the average Punjabi youth particularly in the west who barely understand Punjabi will find themselves corrupted by bhangra.

Unless the dhol beat and the tumbi twang somehow leads the youth astray like some pied piper.

If bhangra is becoming lewd then they are following their cues from booty shaking African American culture.

The Punjabi youth in the West understand very well what is being said in Punjabi songs.  These Punjabi songs have taken the youth away from the Guru.  The culture built on bhangra is about drinking dancing and if the person is lucky, he gets himself a girl to mess around with for some time.  Today the youth are taking many drugs.  Bhangra music sets the atmosphere for guys and girls to mix in a promiscuous manner and it leads to take hard drugs.  Gone are the days where alcohol is the only drug fueling them to misbehave.

3 minutes ago, Akalifauj said:

The Punjabi youth in the West understand very well what is being said in Punjabi songs.  These Punjabi songs have taken the youth away from the Guru.  The culture built on bhangra is about drinking dancing and if the person is lucky, he gets himself a girl to mess around with for some time.  Today the youth are taking many drugs.  Bhangra music sets the atmosphere for guys and girls to mix in a promiscuous manner and it leads to take hard drugs.  Gone are the days where alcohol is the only drug fueling them to misbehave.

They don't. Punjabi youth in the west does not need Bhangra to behave badly nor do they have to understand Punjabi at all to behave badly.

If you are talking about Punjabi youth emigrated very recently or ones that have fresh off the boat parents that speak broken English then they would be understandable.

This behaviour stems from African American culture. The flipped baseball caps, the gold chains, the stupid hand signs, that is all black culture.

Bhangra in it's corrupt ways started back in the 1980's. That is over 30 years ago. The girls that slutted their way are now in their late 40's nearly 50 with grown up daughters of their own.

Sikh youth have more influences than bhangra and not all of it is rooted in Punjabi culture.

1 hour ago, Preeet said:

What can we do about that :/ Everyone has the freedom to listen to anything they'd like, and all goes by hukam, so why are you worried.. If someone is truly concerned then they should tell this to whoever they'd like once (only). 

There is quite a bit one can do to make singers aware of what they are releasing is creating negativity for youth. Yes people have freedom to listen to what they want to, but also it's up to the older ones or those that can see where the Bhangra scene is heading towards, to create awareness of the negativity and effects of it. That's what social media is for to air one's opnions. 

Why are we worried? Because it's our kids that are listening to bakwas and getting brainwashed. Just because they may not be from our families, they are still our youth. And they shouldn't be told once only, how is that going to make any difference. Besides telling somebody not to do something isn't going work. It's got to be done in a creative way, so the youth listen to it themselves and then think about it, which would sway their taste in the type of songs they listen to. 

The other thing is most of us on here have been through that phase, listening to rubbish songs, or we may still be listening to them, but it's how they effect somebody's minds that needs to be considered. It's the singers that need to be told, as they are in it for the money only. They don't care about others kids getting into bad company as long as it's not their own, and their pockets are filled. They keep saying they only produce songs that are in demand. What a load of nonsense that is, there's some singers that sing songs you can listen to within a family setting, so obviously that's not the case of demand and supply. So why can't those singers do the same. Because it's them that set this scene for the Punjabi community of drugs, guns, flashy cars,etc etc, trying to compete with English mainstream music. 

The Bhangra industry now is so messed up, that there's no meanings to the lyrics. They don't even make sense, or are one liners only with the same tune and no theme, but as Daljit paji mentioned.