Gurdwara stops Midland Langar Seva from preparing food

kcmidlands

Just saw this topic, and I might be wrong, but it has been mentioned a few times here that Sikhs need to be careful that we are not just a 'langar service'. I know that many Gurdware have good income, but will Sikhs just continue to provide Langar for 'all and sundry' ? And put our community's needs second (or not even address other issues we have first, with the same manpower and funds)

Langar concept if I am right, is meant primarily for those who come to Gurdware. It's good and necessary to have 'outreach' in some situations, but some groups could be using it as a publicity tool. 

Absolutely I agree that the homeless should be helped, but in situations such as below, If Gurdware/Sevadaars have given an example of service , why is the NHS not seeing this and providing food for its workers and volunteers?

https://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/19828810.swindon-sikhs-give-hundreds-meals-steam-vaccination-centre-medics-volunteers/

7th January

Swindon Sikhs give out hundreds of meals to Steam vaccination centre medics and volunteers

13354610?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

VACCINATION centre volunteers at the Steam Museum have received free meals from Swindon’s Sikh community as a thank-you for their lifesaving efforts.

Every weekday since December 27, members of the Sikh Gurdwara temple in Gorse Hill have been cooking up dozens of delicious dinners to deliver to people who have given up their time to support the Covid vaccination rollout.

They hope to continue doing this for as long as Steam’s Great Hall is used to provide protection against the disease - and are on track to give out 2,500 meals by February.

Pharmacist Gurinder Singh described how this daily donation is part of a long-standing tradition in the Sikh faith known as Langar, a common kitchen or canteen where food is served for free and without prejudice, regardless of race, religion, and background.

The 32-year-old added: “We heard the centre was opening for longer over the festive season and thought the least we could do was to ensure they don’t have to worry about provide a hot meal to recharge their batteries.

“The NHS staff work on the frontlines day in and day out, giving up time they could have spent at home or with their loved ones enjoying the festivities. Plus, this operation would not have been possible without all the dedicated volunteers.

“When we put a callout for our own volunteers, we had so many that we had to turn people away, everyone wanted to help the NHS. These are truly trying times but we can help each other, bring the community together with a common goal and be a light in the darkness.

“I hope this togetherness, energy and positivity continues after the pandemic.”

A rota system ensures five people cook the vegetarian meals - rice, curry, flatbread, samosas, wraps - and another two deliver them to Steam promptly.

One temple volunteer said: “We have a strong community-building tradition and there is such a need for every person and every community to join in this national effort.

"We are very proud to be of service and to continue our humble efforts of support wherever we are called.”