Guest veer

where to keep Gita? ramayan? vedas?

20 posts in this topic

WJKK WJKF

i have copies of some hindu scriptures like the gita, ramayan, upanishads etc. i just bought them basically to learn about them.

in my top self i keep zafarnama bani, jaap sahib bani and shri dasam granth. its right at the top above head level.

im not sure where to place these hindu granth though! couple of shelves down i keep all my other random books about art, history, magazines etc. and thats where iv stacked all the hindu granths i have. its just the other day i was thinking should i keep these granths with more respect rather than just stacked like any other book! 

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:43 AM, Guest veer said:

WJKK WJKF

i have copies of some hindu scriptures like the gita, ramayan, upanishads etc. i just bought them basically to learn about them.

in my top self i keep zafarnama bani, jaap sahib bani and shri dasam granth. its right at the top above head level.

im not sure where to place these hindu granth though! couple of shelves down i keep all my other random books about art, history, magazines etc. and thats where iv stacked all the hindu granths i have. its just the other day i was thinking should i keep these granths with more respect rather than just stacked like any other book! 

wow cool!!!! Where did u get them from?? :o yeah I think u should put it with a bit more respect.

On 05/01/2017 at 4:07 AM, Guest ... said:

wow cool!!!! Where did u get them from?? :o yeah I think u should put it with a bit more respect.

Agreed any religions granths should be treated with respect , do not put them as high as our own but sucham and respect is what is required .Perhaps seperate a higher shelf from your general books  for this .

1 person likes this

As others have mentioned, sucham is important whatever we may think of the validity of their teachings. Just common sense. Don't go lighting toof around them, lol, but appreciate they are sacred texts to millions around the world. 

I think Nirmala sikhs will be able to tell you how they keep these dharmik granths and gitas. Unfortunately sikhawareness site is down as there would probably be more knowledgeable people on there for this certain matter.

Just keep them seperate from your secular books, try not getting those books dirty and with extra caution.

3 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Just keep them seperate from your secular books, try not getting those books dirty and with extra caution.

They're not books, they are granths.

Just keep them in another higher shelf with a ramala covering them.

14 hours ago, Preeet said:

Wasn't talking about Granths, What I said was we should try keeping both of those things seperate, and not make them dirty, (in general). For the record, anything with knowledge should be respected to some extent, (at least that's how I was raised).

21 hours ago, Preeet said:

Two birds one stone.  Why so quick to suggest the gita Vedas ramayan should be kept in ramala? Did you not see the comment of the original poster keeping Sri Dasam Granth Sahib on the shelf?  Doesn't Dasam Granth Sahib ji deserve to be attended to and tell the original poster to keep this Bani of the Guru in a ramala?  I was waiting to see your response on this topic, hoping you would say the right thing but as expected you never surprise me to not stand up for Gurus Bani.  You only use Gurbani in the wrong way to prove your Lord Vishnu didn't fall victim to ego.  As long as I am on this site and Guru Sahib wills, you will not be able accomplish your goal.  

Edited by Akalifauj
1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

Two birds one stone.  Why so quick to suggest the gita Vedas ramayan should be kept in ramala? Did you not see the comment of the original poster keeping Sri Dasam Granth Sahib on the shelf?  Doesn't Dasam Granth Sahib ji deserve to be attended to and tell the original poster to keep this Bani of the Guru in a ramala?  I was waiting to see your response on this topic, hoping you would say the right thing but as expected you never surprise me to not stand up for Gurus Bani.  You only use Gurbani in the wrong way to prove your Lord Vishnu didn't fall victim to ego.  As long as I am on this site and Guru Sahib wills, you will not be able accomplish your goal.  

Whaatt? You are misunderstanding me Singh ji. When I said ramala I meant it for all the dharmic granths that they own, Singh ji. 

27 minutes ago, Preeet said:

Whaatt? You are misunderstanding me Singh ji. When I said ramala I meant it for all the dharmic granths that they own, Singh ji. 

Don't make it worse, you state to raise the granths to a higher shelf, when he already had said dasam bani was at the top shelf.  In no way we're you referring to  dasam BANI. 

On Friday, January 06, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Preeet said:

And you quoted jacfsing2 where he referred to the Gita Vedas and Ramayan as books and you corrected him by saying they are not books but granths. BTW,  they are books never equal to sri Guru granth sahib ji.

Edited by Akalifauj

Just keep all books in a clean and tidy place, Knowledge is knowledge no matter what the source. Just keep any form of Bani covered and in the highest shelf possible. Make sure the place is scrubbed and disinfected, and keep regular care of the bani Saroops, both physically and also reciting as much of it as possible. 

Edited by Kira

On 07/01/2017 at 2:53 AM, Preeet said:

Woah !    Why too much misunderstanding and lack of knowledge being displayed by nearly everyone on this thread.

The first thing to remember is that Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is not a book but our living Guru. When people ask why we take so much love and care for a "book" we tell them it isn't a "book" but our living Guru. Gita, Ramayan, Vedas, the Bible, the Koran etc are NOT living Gurus. They are mere books. Even the people of those books acknowledge that fact by placing them anywhere one would ordinarily find books such as a library or even where one wouldn't ordinarily expect to find books, such as hotel room drawers next to the yellow pages. The moment you start confusing our living Guru ji with mere 'books' is the day  we lose the argument with people that say we worship a book.

So, in answer to the OP: Put the Gita, Ramayan and Vedas anywhere you would ordinarily place any book in your house. They are just books.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

Don't make it worse, you state to raise the granths to a higher shelf, when he already had said dasam bani was at the top shelf.  In no way we're you referring to  dasam BANI. 

And you quoted jacfsing2 where he referred to the Gita Vedas and Ramayan as books and you corrected him by saying they are not books but granths. BTW,  they are books never equal to sri Guru granth sahib ji.

Sorry, but I meant to say put them in an higher shelf than the ' other random books about art, history, magazines etc', since the Sri Dasam Granth was on the highest shelf already. & as saying 'another' I thought they may have had another different shelf unit that they can use. Equality is in the eye of the beholder. 

Side question, if someone were to have Dasam Granth at home should they keep it on a palki or bookshelf? (Before Gurugaddi of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, he was given a bed of even a higher quality than the bed Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Arjun Dev Ji slept on, despite being the Guru at the time). 

1 person likes this

My views may seem a bit hurtful for my sikh people, but if i am in ur place, Either i dont take them home or i will put it on the same shelf as my gurbani scriptures are resting.

doesnt matter u love gurbani a lot but this GITA and other text is nothing but a knowledge about GOD

and if u have read geeta, ( I already done) it resembles most most of knowledge with gurbani, how can u put the name of God on a lower shelf?

Geeta focused on two main points about God:

1. HE is only one God

2. HE is omnipresent 

and so does our gurbani, there nah b slight slight differences but the time geeta was written it was the foremost available knowledge about the GOD

so dont put urself in a dilema, put it with same respect as gurbani(if u r a true GOD lover) 

if u have read AKAAL USTAT a few times, u won't have asked this question 

1 person likes this

On 1/9/2017 at 9:24 AM, Guest Respect said:

My views may seem a bit hurtful for my sikh people, but if i am in ur place, Either i dont take them home or i will put it on the same shelf as my gurbani scriptures are resting.

doesnt matter u love gurbani a lot but this GITA and other text is nothing but a knowledge about GOD

and if u have read geeta, ( I already done) it resembles most most of knowledge with gurbani, how can u put the name of God on a lower shelf?

Geeta focused on two main points about God:

1. HE is only one God

2. HE is omnipresent 

and so does our gurbani, there nah b slight slight differences but the time geeta was written it was the foremost available knowledge about the GOD

so dont put urself in a dilema, put it with same respect as gurbani(if u r a true GOD lover) 

if u have read AKAAL USTAT a few times, u won't have asked this question 

Well said Singh ji, I fully support you. :clap:

On 1/8/2017 at 11:40 AM, Guest Jagsaw_Singh said:

Woah !    Why too much misunderstanding and lack of knowledge being displayed by nearly everyone on this thread.

The first thing to remember is that Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is not a book but our living Guru. When people ask why we take so much love and care for a "book" we tell them it isn't a "book" but our living Guru. Gita, Ramayan, Vedas, the Bible, the Koran etc are NOT living Gurus. They are mere books. Even the people of those books acknowledge that fact by placing them anywhere one would ordinarily find books such as a library or even where one wouldn't ordinarily expect to find books, such as hotel room drawers next to the yellow pages. The moment you start confusing our living Guru ji with mere 'books' is the day  we lose the argument with people that say we worship a book.

So, in answer to the OP: Put the Gita, Ramayan and Vedas anywhere you would ordinarily place any book in your house. They are just books.

They ALL deserve respect. Thinking that way will get you hate from other religions. Don't come crying when people of other religions would do the same with our Granths. If anyone is unable to give them respect then they can hand them over to someone who does follow that religion.

16 minutes ago, Preeet said:

They ALL deserve respect. Thinking that way will get you hate from other religions. Don't come crying when people of other religions would do the same with our Granths. If anyone is unable to give them respect then they can hand them over to someone who does follow that religion.

They (the people of those 'books') are laughing their heads off at your stupidity, uneducated and ill-informed idiocy. They (the people of those books), as I said before, acknowledge that their 'books' are just 'books'. As such, they are quite content in placing them everywhere and anywhere....i.e lying about on library shelves, in hotel desk drawers next to the telephone directory, and given away free of charge into the hands of the homeless, destitute, drunken and addicted. They do this because none of those faiths has a concept that is unique to Sikhism, i.e the fact that we have a living Guru, alive in print form. We show Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji  mighty respect not because we have love books, not because our Gurus instructed us to love books.....It is because Sri Guru Granth Saahib ji is NOT a book. It is our living Guru.

The people of the Gita, New Testament, Old Testament and Koran must be laughing their heads off at you. I don't think they ever thought they'd come across someone so silly he or she would equate their 'books' with THE Guru. 

On 1/8/2017 at 8:32 PM, Jacfsing2 said:

Side question, if someone were to have Dasam Granth at home should they keep it on a palki or bookshelf? (Before Gurugaddi of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, he was given a bed of even a higher quality than the bed Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Arjun Dev Ji slept on, despite being the Guru at the time). 

Just for the record, this was not a rhetorical question, but something to get an actual answer for.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Topics

• We went through this twice. First it was: We are guardians of Hindu dharam. Then goray came along and persuaded many of our lot that we were guardians of their empire and queen/king. Go figure.  Eventually we'll figure out our own identity. lol 
    • Your being a d!ck by hijacking someone else's thread. The OP has reached out & asked for genuine help & advice. Start another thread or p!ss off to P.M system. Seen some of the cry baby threads you started because you are not man enough to deal with bullies at work (despite allegedly being a 'Singh'), no one hijacked your threads so show some decorum & respect to others. To OP my advice is to start listening to Gurbani... Chaupai Sahib would be a good place to start taking your current situation into consideration. 
    • wouldn't whey protein shakes enough help to build muscles for a vegan or vegetarian . Lets not forget desi pehlwans are vegetarians
    • I am not there anymore ! I mean I work for same company but am at client side since 2 months now and dare I say the people here at client side are much more respectful or atleast talk to me like a normal human being , which shows that not everything is wrong with me. People in my office were jst d!cks ! 
    • Hahaha, it's hardly a full sentence. Ini tension ? 😟