best biography on guru gobind singh ji?

Guest mee

WJKK WJKF

just wondering which book is the most authentic biography about guru gobind singh ji? in english. i want to read a authentic one which is well researched, like where the author has looked into historical sources etc, not some book which is mostly the authors imagination and suggestions. iv read "The Graṅth of Guru Gobind Singh: Essays, Lectures, and Translations" by kamalroop singh which was a great book. id love to read one where you get to know guru jis character/personality  :-)

there is one by surrinder singh kohli, would that be a good one to read? it was written in 1986 i think ...

18 hours ago, Guest mee said:

WJKK WJKF

just wondering which book is the most authentic biography about guru gobind singh ji? in english. i want to read a authentic one which is well researched, like where the author has looked into historical sources etc, not some book which is mostly the authors imagination and suggestions. iv read "The Graṅth of Guru Gobind Singh: Essays, Lectures, and Translations" by kamalroop singh which was a great book. id love to read one where you get to know guru jis character/personality  :-)

there is one by surrinder singh kohli, would that be a good one to read? it was written in 1986 i think ...

I think one of the most comprehensive and well researched studies (that I've read) is by J. S. Grewal and S. S. Bal who wrote the biography in the 60s (I think). Sadly (in my opinion) the former author (a well known Sikh historian) went on to become quite overtly casteist later in life (he was best buddies with McLeod and has close contacts withe the SGPC). Maybe working with S. S. Bal restrained him a bit on that front in this work? 

I was after this book for over 10 years before I finally got hold of it online. It didn't disappoint. 

You can catch it here:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/156868315/Guru-Gobind-Singh-a-Biographical-Study-J-S-Grewal-S-S-Bal