My experiences after a 10 day meditation retreat

nehkeval

Finished 10 days Vipasna meditation - was the most profound spiritual experience of my life - almost reborn. Vipasna is a scientific way to live joyfully and happily regardless of your worldly circumstances and make others around you happy as well while helping you overcome the endless cycle of rebirths.

Things I learnt

1. Nothing ever goes wrong - nothing has ever gone wrong and nothing ever will , therefore never regret your past or be in dilemma for the future - any choice you make will be the right choice . The forces of nature that run the planet are beyond human intelligence and nothing ever happens randomly. The fact that you are the doer/decision maker is an illusion which causes immense suffering to yourself and others around you.

Hukmai andar sabko bahar hukam na koye ||

2. Everything is impermanent - whatever good or bad times you are having will not last , so experience them as a witness rather than a consumer for example if you are feeling angry - say to yourself the reality of the moment is that my body is experiencing anger - watch your breath , heart rate etc .Or If you are having financial or health problems - say to yourself this will pass too , and same goes for good times , make the most of them while they are coz they would be gone too.

Kis nal keejai dosti sab jag chalanhar ||

3. Illusion of eternity - unfortunately we are conditioned to live our life as immortals - if I look back my 40 years of life seem like 40 seconds and I am not sure how many more 'seconds' are left , so why associate with this body and obsess with its future. Every new year take a moment to ponder about the last new year eve and it will seem like only yesterday.

4. Hate no one - Just as you are not the doer, so are not the other people which means if someone said or did something unfair to you , that action was caused by a force that is beyond this person's control so no point holding them responsible and causing yourself hatred and anger.

Manda kis noo aakhiye je dooja hoye

5. Others before self - It brings way more joy to give something you cherish to someone who is in dire need than keeping it to yourself. I have decided to dedicate my life for the welfare of others. This automatically makes the 'I' in my very petty as its now just an end to a mean while before it meant the world to me.

Mithya tan nahi parupkaari 

6. Life obsessed with 'making it' is sure to bring misery - I am myself implicated in this as my attempts to becoming a software entrepreneur was causing me - lack of sleep , stress , excessive thinking - limit your material needs and you will find how little it takes to be happy.

Kacha dhan sanchai murakh gavar 

Bikhyia ka dhan sada dukh hoye | Na saath jaaye na paraapat hoye. 

7. Spend time in nature - watch the birds fly , feel the breeze on your body this is where you came from and what you will eventually merge into - feel the perfection in the apparent randomness .  "Kudrat hai keemat nahi paaye " 

8. Treat every day as your last - first thing when you get up in morning say to yourself with conviction this might very well be the last day of my life - I must make the most of it for myself and do something good for others .  

ਹੋਇ ਆਮਰੋ ਗ੍ਰਿਹ ਮਹਿ ਬੈਠਾ ਕਰਣ ਕਾਰਣ ਬਿਸਰੋਹੀ ॥੨॥ होइ आमरो ग्रिह महि बैठा करण कारण बिसरोही ॥२॥Ho▫e āmro garih mėh baiṯẖā karaṇ kāraṇ bisrohī. ||2||

He considers himself to be immortal; he sits in his home, and forgets the Lord, the Cause of causes. ||2||

अनिक भाति करि मणीए साजे काचै तगि परोही ॥
Anik bẖāṯ kar maṇī▫e sāje kācẖai ṯāg parohī
In various ways, he fahions the beads, and strung them on a slender thread.

तूटि जाइगो सूतु बापुरे फिरि पाछै पछुतोही ॥३॥
Ŧūt jā▫igo sūṯ bāpure fir pācẖẖai pacẖẖuṯohī. ||3|
The thread shall break, O wretched man, and then, you shall repent and regret. ||3||

9. Do not argue - Almost all arguing/debating is ego fuelled wastage of your precious breaths.   You can't explain quantum physics to a Donald Trump voter. 

Vaad vivaad kahu seo na keejai | Rasna ram rasayan peejai

and 

Parh akhar eho buhjiye | Murakhe naal na lujhiye ||

10. Cut all electronic noise out  - facebook , tv ,  internet forums , movies ,  etc are all rasas that yield zero outcome at the end , so the sooner you get yourself out of the addiction the better 

13 hours ago, nehkeval said:

Finished 10 days Vipasna meditation - was the most profound spiritual experience of my life - almost reborn. Vipasna is a scientific way to live joyfully and happily regardless of your worldly circumstances and make others around you happy as well while helping you overcome the endless cycle of rebirths.

Who is the Guru of this system?

3 hours ago, Bundha said:

You went to a 10 day retreat to learn all this ?

How we run around looking for this and that when all the time it is all right at home -  Its all there in Guru Granth Sahib Ji

There is a lot of misinformation being spread by the spiritually blind.  Clearly this site is not free from it as well.  I can name a few members who promote other teachings here because they have not understood Gurbani's root message.  It doesn't help either when we have kathavachaks telling sangat how Bhagats in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji are from different religions.  For the last week and longer, I have been targeting these post and all I have been getting is slandered and told to stop.  If I or someone else charged someone for Gurbani teachings, then the person who is learning will cherish it more because now their is a value they paid for Gurbani. Humans rely on their mind and when they feel or hear something that sounds profound to them.  It's got to be spiritual.  Gurbani  warns us of this behaviour, yet Sikhs still indulge into it.  Take this poster for example.  He started this thread to praise and promote this false teaching and on a different thread he started, he bad mouths Sikhi in various ways.  I would label him as a troll, but I will reserve this title for now because it would be coming to a conclusion too quickly.  I babbled enough, lets listen to the Gurus teachings:

अखर पड़ि पड़ि भुलीऐ भेखी बहुतु अभिमानु ॥

Akẖar paṛ paṛ bẖulī▫ai bẖekẖī bahuṯ abẖimān.

Reading their books over and over again, people continue making mistakes; they are so proud of themselves (their religious ways).

तीरथ नाता किआ करे मन महि मैलु गुमानु ॥

Ŧirath nāṯā ki▫ā kare man mėh mail gumān.

But what is the use of bathing at sacred shrines of pilgrimage, when the filth of stubborn pride is within the mind?

गुर बिनु किनि समझाईऐ मनु राजा सुलतानु ॥४॥

Gur bin kin samjā▫ī▫ai man rājā sulṯān. ||4||

Other than the Guru, who can explain that within the mind is the Lord, the King, the Emperor? ||4||

प्रेम पदारथु पाईऐ गुरमुखि ततु वीचारु ॥

Parem paḏārath pā▫ī▫ai gurmukẖ ṯaṯ vīcẖār.

The Treasure of the Lord's Love is obtained by the Gurmukh, who contemplates the essence of reality.

सा धन आपु गवाइआ गुर कै सबदि सीगारु ॥

Sā ḏẖan āp gavā▫i▫ā gur kai sabaḏ sīgār.

The bride eradicates her selfishness, and adorns herself with the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

घर ही सो पिरु पाइआ गुर कै हेति अपारु ॥५॥

Gẖar hī so pir pā▫i▫ā gur kai heṯ apār. ||5||

Within her own home, she finds her Husband, through infinite love for the Guru. ||5||

गुर की सेवा चाकरी मनु निरमलु सुखु होइ ॥

Gur kī sevā cẖākrī man nirmal sukẖ ho▫e.

Applying oneself to the service of the Guru, the mind is purified, and peace is obtained.

गुर का सबदु मनि वसिआ हउमै विचहु खोइ ॥

Gur kā sabaḏ man vasi▫ā ha▫umai vicẖahu kẖo▫e.

The Word of the Guru's Shabad abides within the mind, and egotism is eliminated from within.

नामु पदारथु पाइआ लाभु सदा मनि होइ ॥६॥

Nām paḏārath pā▫i▫ā lābẖ saḏā man ho▫e. ||6||

The Treasure of the Naam is acquired, and the mind reaps the lasting profit. ||6||

Then, Satguru reinforces the teaching further, listen:

करमि मिलै ता पाईऐ आपि न लइआ जाइ ॥

Karam milai ṯā pā▫ī▫ai āp na la▫i▫ā jā▫e.

If He grants His Grace, then we obtain it. We cannot find it by our own efforts.

गुर की चरणी लगि रहु विचहु आपु गवाइ ॥

Gur kī cẖarṇī lag rahu vicẖahu āp gavā▫e.

Remain attached to the Feet of the Guru, and eradicate selfishness from within.

सचे सेती रतिआ सचो पलै पाइ ॥७॥

Sacẖe seṯī raṯi▫ā sacẖo palai pā▫e. ||7||

Attuned to Truth, you shall obtain the True One. ||7||

The people you have gone to for the 10 day retreat are trying to accomplish liberation with either a false Guru (false because hes/she is trying with own efforts) or by their own efforts.  Listen to the Guru carefully here.  Don't doubt Satguru for a second.  This same teaching is repeated many times in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.  Engrave this teaching in your mind.

Lastly, the Guru is forgiving and will take any true seeker into his embrace, listen:

भुलण अंदरि सभु को अभुलु गुरू करतारु ॥

Bẖulaṇ anḏar sabẖ ko abẖul gurū karṯār.

Everyone makes mistakes; only the Guru and the Creator are infallible.

गुरमति मनु समझाइआ लागा तिसै पिआरु ॥

Gurmaṯ man samjẖā▫i▫ā lāgā ṯisai pi▫ār.

One who instructs his mind with the Guru's Teachings comes to embrace love for the Lord.

नानक साचु न वीसरै मेले सबदु अपारु ॥८॥१२॥

Nānak sācẖ na vīsrai mele sabaḏ apār. ||8||12||

O Nanak, do not forget the Truth; you shall receive the Infinite Word of the Shabad. ||8||12||

These pauris are on ang 61 and the Shabad starts on ang 60.

Listen to how the Shabad starts:

सिरीरागु महला १ ॥

Sirīrāg mėhlā 1.

Siree Raag, First Mehl:

मनमुखि भुलै भुलाईऐ भूली ठउर न काइ ॥

Manmukẖ bẖulai bẖulā▫ī▫ai bẖūlī ṯẖa▫ur na kā▫e.

The self-willed manmukhs wander around, deluded and deceived. They find no place of rest.

गुर बिनु को न दिखावई अंधी आवै जाइ ॥

Gur bin ko na ḏikẖāva▫ī anḏẖī āvai jā▫e.

Without the Guru, no one is shown the Way. Like the blind, they continue coming and going.

गिआन पदारथु खोइआ ठगिआ मुठा जाइ ॥१॥

Gi▫ān paḏārath kẖo▫i▫ā ṯẖagi▫ā muṯẖā jā▫e. ||1||

Having lost the treasure of spiritual wisdom, they depart, defrauded and plundered. ||1||