How do I Understand Gurbani?

Guest CSingh

Hello everyone,

So earlier this year my parents found a girl for me who I might marry. I am from the United States and she is from India. Her family is Gursikh and I talk to them frequently on the phone. She told me that they wished my Punjabi was better because I have trouble speaking it (pronunciation and such). So then I taught myself to read and write in Gurmukhi. However, I am still having difficulty speaking it. How can I improve my speaking skills?

Since I taught myself to read and write in Punjabi, I decided to read Gurbani. I read very slow and have difficulty pronouncing some of the words, which is not a problem. However, I want to understand what our Gurus want to tell us. I do not want to read English translations because I feel as if it might take away from what the Gurus originally want us to know.

Thank you

In addition to what Simran Pen Jee advises you, I would suggest you to do Bhajan Bandagee at a regular basis, as only our associstion with the Supreme Truth can give us the correct understanding, as our chit gets purified through this devotion.

Sat Sree Akal.

On 10/11/2016 at 4:07 PM, Preeet said:

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki fateh ji

If you can, please visit Sri Gurdwara Likhansar Sahib located in bathinda, and write the alphabet in the sand area. Sri Guru Sahib ji will surely bless you, I had an urge to learn HindiéPunjabi at a time, and after I completed the rasam I was blessed with the gyan by our Sri Guru Sahib ji. 

that is not the full vidhi , you are supposed to do keshi ishnaan at the sarover recite Japji Sahib , write the Painti in the sand and do ardas for gurmat buddhi

To learn speaking, practice speaking. Try to only speak panjabi with ur friends and family. Also try to talk to elders at gurudwara or elsewhere who know punjabi n can correct u. 

Secondly, try to read panjabi books, newspapers, and easy panjabi material like kaiday to build up your vocabulary. Also build up ur gurbani vocabulary. For example the tuk Jo Tao Prem Khelan Kaa Chaoo, Sir Tar Talee Galee Meri Aao. Get each word n learn its meaning. Jao=if, tao=you, Prem=love, khelan=play/ game, kaa= possessive pronoun, chaoo=desire, sir= head, tar=place, talee=palm, galee= path/alleyway, meri=mine, aao=come. 

You will have to read the english translation n then try to figure our what each gurmukhi word means. Then read in gurmukhi until it clicks in ur head n u can understand it in gurmukhi, and the meaning comes to ur mind in gutmukhi. If u desire to play the game of love, come to my path with ur head on ur palm.

Then if u remember these words, u can use them to figure out more gurbani tuks like: PREM LAGO HAR TEER. So english translation is I have been pierced by the arrow of love for God. So u already know prem is love, now figure out the rest. Har=God, Teer=arrow, lago= means hit/wounded so in this case pierced. 

The more u do this, the more ur vocabulary will grow, and the easier it will become to translate and understand gurbani. And when that happens, its a great feeling, it seems as if the guru is talking to you. And gurbani becomes sweeter and we can feel the beautiful poetry as well. 

Also u can try to take santhiya. It helped me alot. Cuz not only do they cover pronunciation but meanings as well.

Dont give up. Even a white, dutch guy began to understand gurbani after trying. Hes called the man in blue,look him up. He would read english translations n gurbani and after awhile,  he said guru nanak started speaking  directly to me. Thats how it feels to understand gurbani.

Also try to get gurbani apps, that allow multiple translations in english n panjabi,that will make it easier for u to figure out wat each word means. I think igurbani has like 2 english translations n like 4 panjabi translations. U can turn off the ones u dont like n turn them on, if the one ur reading makes no sense. Faridkot teeka, i think, tells u meaning of each word in panjabi, i think. Use that as well