Big_Tera

Sri Guru Granth Sahib - English Translation

13 posts in this topic

Why dont we mass produce copies of the sggs in english copies and hand them to people who are interested in Sikhism?

You always see muslims handing out free copys of the koran in english and christians doing the same.  Yet all we do is talk but no action. 

You simply asking this question proves your value for Gurbani. But since you really actually made the comparison of Vaheguru on Earth to some book like the Quran and Bible why not look at your own self first?

3 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Why dont we mass produce copies of the sggs in english copies and hand them to people who are interested in Sikhism?

You always see muslims handing out free copys of the koran in english and christians doing the same.  Yet all we do is talk but no action. 

There are translations available online , why not advertise those sites instead  so we can make sure nobody starts handing out false information in  the guise of Guru ji much like the history books and translations done in India ... sahib-e -kamaal by Lala Dalat Rai is an example  which is being handed out to every abhilakhee for free in which it says that Guru Nanak Dev ji didn't make a seperate religion by just did a sudhar of hindu dharam and that Guru Gobind SIngh ji did what he did out of desh bhagati and his khatri khoon

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

....But we don't touch our Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji or our Gutka Sahibs with dirty hands.  They are always kept covered with beautiful Rumullaas and handled with clean hands.

15 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Because the Koran and the Bible are just books brother. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is not a book, but our living Guru, far too precious to be handed out to just anyone - especially given the current rampancy of beadbi against Gurbani. There is no telling how these people would use them. 

Your concern is a just one though. Parchaar amongst non-Gurmukhi speaking peoples is undoubtedly made more difficult by the fact that we can't thoughtlessly circulate our scriptures as dawa men and evangelists do with theirs. The solution is to preach Sikhi by word of mouth. Don't have to become a parchaarak, just tell your friends and loved ones about it. 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, kangw said:

....But we don't touch our Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji or our Gutka Sahibs with dirty hands.  They are always kept covered with beautiful Rumullaas and handled with clean hands.

I think he is aiming for something like the Gideons where there is a copy in every hotel room , of course not thinking it through: that people given free stuff do not usually hold a mental value of that thing at all , and are more likely to disrespect it. Think about all those leaflets iven out at nagar kirtans where do they end up mostly ? on the floor, in the bin .

Supporting knowledge is good but maintaining satkar is utmost so virtual granths on websites are better options . No paper waste, no torn or dirty pages , can cross-link themes by making it a hyperlinked document so learning is optimised .

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, Balkaar said:

Because the Koran and the Bible are just books brother. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is not a book, but our living Guru, far too precious to be handed out to just anyone - especially given the current rampancy of beadbi against Gurbani. There is no telling how these people would use them. 

Your concern is a just one though. Parchaar amongst non-Gurmukhi speaking peoples is undoubtedly made more difficult by the fact that we can't thoughtlessly circulate our scriptures as dawa men and evangelists do with theirs. The solution is to preach Sikhi by word of mouth. Don't have to become a parchaarak, just tell your friends and loved ones about it. 

I agree.

24 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

I think he is aiming for something like the Gideons where there is a copy in every hotel room , of course not thinking it through: that people given free stuff do not usually hold a mental value of that thing at all , and are more likely to disrespect it. Think about all those leaflets iven out at nagar kirtans where do they end up mostly ? on the floor, in the bin .

Supporting knowledge is good but maintaining satkar is utmost so virtual granths on websites are better options . No paper waste, no torn or dirty pages , can cross-link themes by making it a hyperlinked document so learning is optimised .

This is what hurts me most. I have seen the same on many occasions, and some of these leaflets have Guru Sahibans' images on them.

The original poster was referring to English translation of Sri Guru Granth sahib ji to be handed out.

Do you guys believe the English translation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is equal to Sri Guru Granth sahib ji written by the Gurus?

34 minutes ago, Akalifauj said:

The original poster was referring to English translation of Sri Guru Granth sahib ji to be handed out.

Do you guys believe the English translation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is equal to Sri Guru Granth sahib ji written by the Gurus?

No that's was why I suggested using on-line sites as you get original Gurmukhi text roman and English  so you can cross check accuracy using dictionary such as mahan kosh in english or Punjabi

1 hour ago, Akalifauj said:

We really could have this argument of what really is Guru Sahib, some have even gone to the Larivaar and Bad Shed arguments, to be honest; Daas wouldn't be giving someone any Gurbani on any paper, maybe on and online section of Gyan, but never on physical forms; (they could throw it away or something), even Jugraj Singh doesn't put Gurbani on his leaf-lets because he knows the Non-Sikhs just see it as a bunch of nice words; rather than Vaheguru's form of Gur-Shabad. (The other 2 are Sargun and Nirgun).

What does larivaar saroop or pad chhed saroop have to do with saying whether English translation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji are equal to Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji in Gurmukhi?

59 minutes ago, Akalifauj said:

What does larivaar saroop or pad chhed saroop have to do with saying whether English translation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji are equal to Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji in Gurmukhi?

veer ji there are just some phrases which can not be captured at al in english because the English haven't got a depth of vocab for spiritual events experiences, concepts just as their harmonium can never allow full expression of gurmat sangeet , and some raags e.g. Sri raag because it doesn't have the subtlety or even the correct notes.So at best translations can be a tool to learn but ultimately arth has to be in gurmukhi vichar to  get the full deeper understanding.

Panthic decision is Guru ji can only be larivaar saroop