Kids and gurdwara

Guest Guest

Guest Jacfsing2
12 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Can kids be taught to sit quietly in Gurdwara?

I wanted to hear general suggestions of sangat.

Yes, you could honestly do that; when Daas was a little kid going to the Gurdwara; I was usually too shy to say much of anything, (though that's since changed), however, the main thing we should do is tell the parents to discipline their kids once in a while, not focus on the kids themselves.

Guest Jacfsing2
47 minutes ago, sikhni777 said:

If you explain to your kids the reasons for going to the guradwara, and the sakhiya starting from Guru Nanak Dev ji, you will be surprised at the attention and respect they will attend the Guradwara Talk to them and explain to them the history and the purpose of Guru Granth Sahib Ji To do this, of course you need to educate yourself first 

4 likes in less than an hour, (where are all these people coming from?) But totally disagree, the child has to be of a reasonable age to be quite in a Gurdwara, there are some Gursikhs whose kids do whatever at the Gurdwara, while they do Seva or whatnot.

I speak from personal experience.  My son never sits still. However after sakhis and in depth explanation he started paying attention.  Hes only 7. 

Do we ever sit at home with the kids in the morning or evening and do some path or simran. Then how do we expect that they will sit quietly in the guradwara and pray. Have we made any effort to speak to them in punjabi? Then how do we expect yhey will sit quietly in the guradwara.

Lastly we got child friendly apps, games and toys. Does our guradwara have any child friendly services?  Have we ever thought of giving our children a mystical experience? Melodious Simran with lights dimmed practiced in ome guradwara has kids participating and listening too.

Have we ever bothered to request the giani ji to perform a kids special kirtan. Yhis can be possible with pre-printed shabads and meanings and giani ji singing the same shabads over and over again so kids can participate.  

We go the extra mile to give our kids all the necessities of life but we deprive them of their God given rights to spirituality. So when our kids jump around in the guradwara,shame on us for having to tell them to be quiet. Its all our ffault.  

We give them iphones and ipads to concentrate with.  We don't teach them the importance of sangat. We leave it to chance that they will learn. Much that we love our kids and wish them to be successful in life.... we deprive them of the most important basics of sikhism. 

No one gives any meaningful  religious time. However homes where parents take the time and put in effort to plant the basics and then take the kids to the guradwara,  answer their questions and tell them the meaning of path- those kids sit and listen.I was astonished recently to see a kid sit still and listen attentively on his own right in front of the kirtanni jatha. He seemed like a three year old.  Yes and visiting the guradwara more frequently will definitely help. However more needs to be done in this area by both parents, committees, and giani jis too. Would be lovely to have some kid friendly hiani jis available in the guradwara for a question and answer session.  How about quiz competitions and a kid friendly story telling session? I am sure volunteers can play an important part in reading to a group of children - or even a parent. 

A