UK rules out Sikh regiment - 'Segregation' argument for decision

singhbj singh

rules out Sikh regiment

- 'Segregation' argument for decision
Amit Roy
06amit.jpg

Outing in July 2016 to Sandhurst by members of British Sikh Association and guests

London, Oct. 5: Although the British army has Irish Guards and Scots Guards, it had decided not to set up a separate Sikh regiment, the government has announced.

Speaking at the Conservative party conference, currently under way in Birmingham, the secretary of state for defence, Sir Michael Fallon, said he wanted to recruit more Indians and other members of the ethnic minorities so that they make up at least 10 per cent of the armed forces.

"Sikhs, of course, as you know, make great soldiers and were a great part of our army in the past," he said. "There may be other ways in which we can encourage Sikhs into our armed forces, but I'm not going down the route of an entirely separate Sikh regiment."

The idea that there should be such a regiment had come from the Sikhs themselves.

Fallon's decision was described as "totally wrong" by Rami Ranger, the chairman of the British Sikh Association, who took a party of his members in July to the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.

This is the British army's training centre in Camberley, Surrey, where the portraits and battle honours reflect the UK's special relationship with Indian soldiers and especially the Sikhs.

Ranger told The Telegraph that senior British army officers, including generals, were "warm" to the idea of a Sikh regiment.

He was among leaders of the community who had pushed the idea of a Sikh regiment, pointing out: "It was the British themselves who set up Sikh regiments. People who have so much in common inspire each other."

In his opinion, individual Sikhs were unlikely to be attracted to the idea of joining the armed forces "for fear of racism - one lone Sikh among 200 or 300 other people would feel isolated".

There was also the risk that a lone Sikh would be targeted wrongly as "a member of the Taliban - we want people to know the truth about Sikhs".

Ranger had found favour for the idea of a Sikh regiment with the army top brass and also with previous Tory defence ministers - Mark Francois and Sir Nicholas Soames - who had served under David Cameron.

In February 2015, for example, Francois had confirmed that the head of the army was examining plans for the return of a Sikh regiment and also a reserve company.

Francois had said the idea of a Sikh regiment "may well have merit" as MPs backed it, while Soames urged ministers to "do away with political correctness" and press ahead with it.

Everyone is agreed that the number of Indians in the armed forces should be increased.

Fallon said: "The armed forces have to better reflect the society that they're charged with protecting. I want more women, more from black and Asian communities."

"We have to get to about 10 per cent and today we're just under six per cent at the moment and I want to see that driven up in each of the services and they've all now got individual programmes as to how they're going to meet that particular target," he went on.

But he added: "What I'm wary of is any kind of segregation that would set up particular units that are for one religion and another religion. I'm a little wary of that."

But Sikhs pointed out that the British had no such qualms during the First and Second World Wars when Sikh regiments made the difference in various battles.

Ranger admitted he was "disappointed but I won't give up" .

Source - http://www.telegraphindia.com/1161006/jsp/nation/story_112253.jsp#.V_flCOuXeK1

• 2 weeks later...

Lets keep it real. They still have Gurkha regiments so their argument is horse5hite.

Truth is that they have an inkling that not all of us are docile peasants who will follow orders blindly and act like poster boys, doing their dirty work. If a few proper independent minded Singhs infiltrated the regiment, Anglos could end up in deep doodoo if they ever got nasty over here.

Come on, how many of their wars have been ...errrr... how can I put it? ..........dubious, unethical not to mention immoral. We're still seeing the fallout from their recent 'adventurous' kartootaan abroad with terrorism and the major 'refugee' exodus from lands they've been meddling in.

Put simply, I don't think they trust us completely, sure - they know they can parade a few blindly loyal, dead-conscious tokens - but thankfully there are still a few Sikh bundhay out there that have retained their mental independence and sovereignty.  It's a fear of these guys that makes them reluctant to have a Sikh regiment - and with good reason too in my opinion. 

mate the illuminati/freemasons decided to split Punjab and harm sikhi for a reason ...because sikhi is the only faith they cannot corrupt to support their agenda , and they know it . Look at every member of the Congress party at the advent of the handover all paltu , freemasons.

Look the UN reaction to the unlawful plunder of punjab's water by the Gandhi governments ...sorry non-reaction even now when 80% of water table is depleted there is still not a blink or murmur...

1 minute ago, dallysingh101 said:

I think that is living in abject denial myself. They did a top job in remoulding Sikhi to create 'Sikhism' and use hordes of Sikh muscle to implement their imperialist agendas and schemes across the world.

Our lot are so slow, they are only beginning to twig on to that now. And those that have woken up are a minority. 

It doesn't matter what you call these goray and their minions - freemasons/illuminati/wasps - the fact is that we got played like dumb kids in over their heads. We still ain't nowhere near recovering from it. Most of us don't even realise that it happened.

Plus if our people helped them to subjugate other races/communities for money - do you not think that we'd have the associated bad karma coming our way as a consequence?

Fact: we followed our own (Sikhi) path and and our ancestors not only became free people, but also leaders. Then we got subjugated and followed our new masters and allowed them to dictate what our faith is to us, and things have been going down hill ever since. What does that tell us? 

if we have bad karma I think that has more to do with the three hundred years of mughal souls coming back into the panth becoming BHekhi gursikhs and selling us out because of our ancestors not following Guru Pita ji's instructions for their burial. Hopefully now we have paid our debts and can work and achieve something better. We were put at the front in extremely violent arenas of war during the world wars they joined because of deals placed before them of earning independence for India , since then I think very few sikhs want to fight for them and those it is a matter of family history/pride . My eldest was willing to go into the forces (he has the vibe of soorma,  totally natural horseman, excellent rifleman ) but due to the lack of ethics in these governments he will never do it , he just did did cadets to get the exposure to rifle shooting. 

Our people are where they are because they are undereducated , just like blacks are made to feel being a sportsperson or musician is more important than educated scholars scientists etc same way our Bretheren swallowed the english folk's myths ... fact is Maharaja Ranjit Singhs kingdom had higher levels of literacy than Anywhere on the planet , the ordinary women all were educated as a priority .  we just have to follow the old models and teach tiddlers punjabi, gurbani, gurmat sangeet and itihaas so they will be unshakeable in the face of questions .

I think we need to combine the approach of the Trivium, Quadrium and combine that with the traditional gursikh scholars curriculum . So we produce leaders who can compete in all fields including the physical skills. 

I'd love to know  just what curriculum the Scholars followed , I am honestly  thinking about removing my daughter from the school system as it is producing handicapped mentality in the children , they are left doubting themselves so much they refuse to even attempt to work outside the spoonfed agenda filled crap that passes for education these days.

4 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

if we have bad karma I think that has more to do with the three hundred years of mughal souls coming back into the panth becoming BHekhi gursikhs and selling us out because of our ancestors not following Guru Pita ji's instructions for their burial.

Bretheren swallowed the english folk's myths ... fact is Maharaja Ranjit Singhs kingdom had higher levels of literacy than Anywhere on the planet , the ordinary women all were educated as a priority .  

Do you really believe this? Sounds like a fairy tale lol. 

Any sources proving this? The empire was ahead of many others, I do hope your statement is true as well, but is there a source?