6 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

according to the UK sikh survey 1 in 7 surveyed had been or knew of a person personally who had been groomed  so it is not a little thing. People who go through this are damaged very very badly and usually don't get married and settle down ...

I thought it was 1 in 7 knew of a person who had been groomed or approached by a grooming gang? So it includes the ones who go away before it happened? It's still very fucked up.

3 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

What do you mean straight-laced?

he is trying to imply a level of controlled sexuality and morality harking back to victorian era when they were covered up and tied and restricted by corsets (laced up)
I think he's a little too forgiving of the guys and a little too generalising on the girls , there are loads of good honourable sikh girls  and his words imply that the situation is different

It's not just a UK thing. This has also spread to Canada I hear Vancouver sides are worst affected because of the "Punjabi bimbo" type girls there that regularly drink and take recreational drugs I.e: weed, cocaine etc. Canada has a growing Pakistani Community. Social media also has made it easier for predators to meet and groom vulnerable , gullible victims.

5 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

I think he's a little too forgiving of the guys and a little too generalising on the girls , there are loads of good honourable sikh girls  and his words imply that the situation is different

You're reading me wrong. I know there are good, honourable sisters out there but let's not play down the ugly truth that loads of apneean don't know how to conduct themselves and have made a joke of our communities reputation by acting like straight out sl@gs - and  let's not pretend that this hasn't happened enough to create a particular impression of our lot outwards.  

I think it'll take a generation or two to straighten this out, but the truth is that the rep of Sikh girls at this moment in time in the UK (because of such girls) isn't exactly an enviable one. If we don't face up to that, how will we ever sort it out?

Guest Jacfsing2
8 hours ago, canadianguest5 said:

Brampton. What about you?

Unless your main Gurdwara is Tapoban or something similar, it just shows that your focus is elsewhere then the problems with the actual people in the Sangat. Also in Canada the Muslims and Sikhs are even more against each other from what Daas heard than in England.

2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

You're reading me wrong. I know there are good, honourable sisters out there but let's not play down the ugly truth that loads of apneean don't know how to conduct themselves and have made a joke of our communities reputation by acting like straight out sl@gs - and  let's not pretend that this hasn't happened enough to create a particular impression of our lot outwards.  

I think it'll take a generation or two to straighten this out, but the truth is that the rep of Sikh girls at this moment in time in the UK (because of such girls) isn't exactly an enviable one. If we don't face up to that, how will we ever sort it out?

i think the reframing of what sikhs are is happening a lot quicker because true sikhs are becoming visible in media and online and other people are responding positively , my boys have been pulled aside quite a few times in the past few months and congratulated for being proper sikhs by monay and non-sikhs , the monay or lapsed keshadharis have admitted they want to go back to being proper sikhs too and my boys have encouraged them . I was thanked by kashmiri muslim for the help their people got in the floods out of the blue when I was in Dharamshala , India on a course. 

The guys and girls who are majorly into the balle balle culture, maas and daru need a good shaking up and waking up ...Dharam Sewa is doing a good job to use music to get the proper ideas into their heads via catchy tunes . Looking forward to the Chitta  info (gurbani backed method of releasing people from nasha) and tracks .

Guru ji has given us a tough job but not without knowing we have the strength to see it through , it's going to be like hitting your head on sharp rocks for a while but then the tide will turn . I can see it happening .

If we do major parchaar in Indian Gurdwarey now that jobless day jobbers are flooding to langar because of Modi's demonitisation scheme/scam  and are appreciating how they always get help from langar whereas only from temples if some daan is being given out . We could end up with more grass roots level changes to sikhi.

23 hours ago, canadianguest5 said:

Brampton. What about you?

I live in Calgary the reason we get a lot of beefs is cos we r the only city here who have a significant population of Kashmiris (same ppl causin prob in U.K.)  it was pretty bad couple years back that a crew of them came to nagar Kirtan to start problems but they were quickly dealt with 

Guest Jacfsing2
23 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

he is trying to imply a level of controlled sexuality and morality harking back to victorian era when they were covered up and tied and restricted by corsets (laced up)

Sikhs do tend to be more moral than non-Sikhs, especially Sikh men; (while the Christians and Muslims just do whatever nonsense they want).

17 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

i think the reframing of what sikhs are is happening a lot quicker because true sikhs are becoming visible in media and online and other people are responding positively , my boys have been pulled aside quite a few times in the past few months and congratulated for being proper sikhs by monay and non-sikhs , the monay or lapsed keshadharis have admitted they want to go back to being proper sikhs too and my boys have encouraged them . I was thanked by kashmiri muslim for the help their people got in the floods out of the blue when I was in Dharamshala , India on a course. 

The guys and girls who are majorly into the balle balle culture, maas and daru need a good shaking up and waking up ...Dharam Sewa is doing a good job to use music to get the proper ideas into their heads via catchy tunes . Looking forward to the Chitta  info (gurbani backed method of releasing people from nasha) and tracks .

Guru ji has given us a tough job but not without knowing we have the strength to see it through , it's going to be like hitting your head on sharp rocks for a while but then the tide will turn . I can see it happening .

If we do major parchaar in Indian Gurdwarey now that jobless day jobbers are flooding to langar because of Modi's demonitisation scheme/scam  and are appreciating how they always get help from langar whereas only from temples if some daan is being given out . We could end up with more grass roots level changes to sikhi.

I think there has been a quiet realisation by many about the negative impact of the drinking, bhangra dancing balle balle culture. A lot of us grew up in that environment. The other thing was that in the 80s asians in general were looking for an identity/culture to cling onto in the face of so much racism, and Sikhs delivered Panjabi culture to the masses, who lapped it up, and we were proud of it - we now know this was exploited. Plus look how much money used to get made with selling cassettes and holding gigs! So a lot of factors were at play back in the day.

I'm also thinking that the new third generation will have access (directly and indirectly) to more streetwise olders (some of the second generation). You might of been lucky with progressive understanding parents, but a lot of us of the 2nd gen (maybe most?) weren't. I think that is one of the root causes of a lot of our issues. I know the younger ones to me can talk about things that I could never ever have broached with my parents or older family. The topic of relationships is top of the list for discussion in my eyes. because I see less and less arranged marriages taking place, and the younger ones will be looking at olders to set parameters. You know how it was back in the day. Everything was done surreptitiously - I think addressing that will help reduce the chances of girls getting embroiled and manipulated by some devious pervert(s). I've said it before, I feel that today's conservatism in our community is more a legacy of colonialism upon us, than our own indigenous culture/moorings. CP is the most overt example of how our people previously had no qualms about facing upto to issues that we consider taboo today.

The general proliferation of education in our community today coupled with unprecedented access to Sikh literature via the net (scribd, sikhbookclub etc. etc.) also means that we can have intelligent and informed talks about our roots/heritage in a way that I don't think happened much previously. Some younger people are interested in history and historical sources in a way that our parents weren't. Desis simply did what elders told them. One relative from back home who is in their late 30s here, recently said to me:

"We learnt the prayers etc. by rote because we were told to but what I'm seeing now is younger people (in Britain) are actually analysing them in a way we never did."

Personally I have a feeling that the last few years have actually been the early stages of a renaissance myself. And this is not limited to narrow fields but broad.